Business Journal - Here's The Story Behind The Strike That Got 250 UPS Workers Fired

Johney

Assuming that the manager that gave you permission doesn't later lie about giving you permission.
What's to stop them from changing your start time w/o your knowledge and saying you did it w/o authorization? Just saying. If they want you gone you will be gone.

island1fox

The debate rages on about the guilt or innocence of Reyes and the type of discipline that may have been or not warranted.
When Liam and the Company could not come to any agreement --the logical step was to arbitrate THIS situation.

Multiplying this by risking 250 drivers --to have Liam look like big man on campus --Not Reality.

Overpaid Union Thug

Walking out over a guy not getting his way at arbitration was silly. They should have walked out the first day he was fired if some sort of grievance procedure spelled out in their contract was violated. Otherwise.....justly fired. Simply claiming "solidarity" doesn't negate a contract. Just because management blatantly violate a contract doesn't mean we should. There were other ways the 250 drivers should have preceded.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The debate rages on about the guilt or innocence of Reyes and the type of discipline that may have been or not warranted.
When Liam and the Company could not come to any agreement --the logical step was to arbitrate THIS situation.

Multiplying this by risking 250 drivers --to have Liam look like big man on campus --Not Reality.

And stupid if Reyes is the only one to get his job back. Since he was terminated, they can't say that he was one of those who walked out.

804brown

Walking out over a guy not getting his way at arbitration was silly. They should have walked out the first day he was fired if some sort of grievance procedure spelled out in their contract was violated. Otherwise.....justly fired. Simply claiming "solidarity" doesn't negate a contract. Just because management blatantly violate a contract doesn't mean we should. There were other ways the 250 drivers should have preceded.
Wrong. He has not gone to arbitration yet. He was simply fired for a non cardinal offense and walked out of the building. He will have his day in court (and win).

ups clerk

How can you clock in early? That makes no sense!!! My start time is 840am but I am usually in the center by 825am and I punch in my DIAD at that time and get EDD. I do not start getting paid until 840am even though I punched in at 825am. Something is not right with the article or what he got fired for. According to the article then I could get fired too for "punching in early." Am I missing something here?
I agree...I work in the hub, and when I punch in early, it says my actual start time, and if I started earlier, I wouldn't get paid anyway. So it should be that way for the driver, unless he got permission from his supervisor to start earlier. Yeah something is wrong somewhere.

ups clerk

I think he changed the start time in his DIAD and started working early. If he did that though, it would show on a report and he wouldn't get paid for that time without a manager OK'ing it the next day.
If he purposely changed his start time on his DIAD, yeah that is not good. I have seen people in the hub get fired for that and it stuck. And yes, if he does that, this supe or manager has to give the okay. :/

ups clerk

The way I read this is: Reyes may have a claim for the time missed between the 14th and 26th, however his termination was upheld. It sounds to me, somehow he found a way to get overtime by changing his start time. How this ever got by management, I have no idea.

The real question is about the other 250. Who led this action? Should the penalty for that action (short protest) be termination or perhaps something less, a 3 day suspension for example.
What I would like to know is, what is Hoffa and hall take on this and on the other side of the fence, what does Scott Davis, the CEO of UPS think of all this.

PT Car Washer

If he purposely changed his start time on his DIAD, yeah that is not good. I have seen people in the hub get fired for that and it stuck. And yes, if he does that, this supe or manager has to give the okay. :/
You can change your start time in the DIAD to anything you want, but the changed start time must be approved by someone in your management team before the time is sent to payroll. Ask anyone who works preload or in the hubs how this works. I am an air exception driver and enter the time when I arrive as my start time. Most of the time my start time is approved but I know better then to try and cheat the system.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You can change your start time in the DIAD to anything you want, but the changed start time must be approved by someone in your management team before the time is sent to payroll. Ask anyone who works preload or in the hubs how this works. I am an air exception driver and enter the time when I arrive as my start time. Most of the time my start time is approved but I know better then to try and cheat the system.
they rigged the time card web so preload can't manually change our start times anymore. center manager has to go into the system and fix it.

PT Car Washer

they rigged the time card web so preload can't manually change our start times anymore. center manager has to go into the system and fix it.
Exactly what I am was referring to. Even when your sup wants you to start early you have to check the next day and make sure they changed it. And then again when you get your paycheck to make sure payroll accepted it. Not too many employees can just set their own hours without someone in management approving it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Exactly what I am was referring to. Even when your sup wants you to start early you have to check the next day and make sure they changed it. And then again when you get your paycheck to make sure payroll accepted it. Not too many employees can just set their own hours without someone in management approving it.
which is a giant PITA...

island1fox

I believe I saw on one of these related threads on 804 --that someone in the 804 area posted that the Business Agent --Liam --was a former UPS driver that was Discharged from the Company--the Union made him a Business Agent --put him back in the building he used to work in to "put it in the Companies face" ???

Talk about the real story --A driver that could not save his own job is given the job to represent drivers ???

It sounds like The Company gave Reyes a non working notice of discharge for a Cardinal offense charge --a hearing was set up with Business Agent Liam --the issue could not be resolved --Arbitration is the next step ---BUT--the Discharged Driver --Now a Business AGENT ---Thinks he is sticking it to the Company --puts 250 drivers at risk-for his own "revenge"

If that posting about Liam was true --gave him "motive" for a dumb move and will not play well in Arbitration.
Again if that info is true --Whatever Union Official put a Discharged UPS driver --back into his own building as a Business Agent --is an Idiot and should lose his job !!!

Overpaid Union Thug

Wrong. He has not gone to arbitration yet. He was simply fired for a non cardinal offense and walked out of the building. He will have his day in court (and win).

Correction....I meant to say he had his HEARING. Not arbitration. So I'm right. I'm not disputing wether or not he'll come out ahead down the road. What I am saying is that the 250 drivers screwed up. Screwed up bad.