Buying a Fedex Ground Route

mopar21

More than 15 mph over the speed limit should disqualify you, but fedex makes up rules or ignores them all the time if they like/dislike you. It's actually in the contract the contractor signs with fedex.
thanks for the reply everyone else are acting like dicks. Even if that :censored2: was 2years ago? lol

bbsam

Staff member
“So buyer beware. When you join Snap On you are just a glorified employee. The difference is he has the common sense to realize he is not independent. He is an owner and he is saying "buyer beware" as anyone who would be dumb enough to buy into the X scam.
NOBODY has told anybody not to beware in regards to X.

bacha29

Contracting for X is not a franchise. It's just a contract. At the same time after reading the "unhappy franchisee" sight there is one common thread. If you are in a depressed rural area you are in for a pretty tough go of it. I know a guy who had a Snap on Tool route for many years. As time went by Snap On terms deteriorated badly to the point where he is now doing the minimum required and nothing more.

dvalleyjim

All states will be CSP, ISP is an old term. Ground and Home Delivery will be combined with one CSP handling all packages in their "negotiated area". X won't compensate for any HD area that gets absorbed, too bad. Their will be no more HD but their will continue to be 6 day deliver. CSP problem. Your money on negotiations will continue to go down. That's the future as it currently exists. You have the power, how will you change it?

Exec32

Why would negotiations continue to go down, if your negotiating leverage would be going up? Just doesn't make sense, defies logic. Unless,,,, we have a large pool of contractors that should of never been business owners to begin with and only serve as puppets for fedex dirty work and are willing to screw themselves and every contractor around them,......
I am not going to last much longer in this scheme, It enrages me to see how fedex takes complete control of these so called entities treats them like their own and passes on all the liability to the same entity they claim are not theirs to control.
I'm afraid your right, however this will be their undoing, this will come to an end.

bacha29

Again when it comes to command and control you are an employee. When it comes to the divestiture of risk liability and variable costs you are an "independent contractor"..Believe me I had plenty of chances to acquire additional routes. Simple math told me that by the time you give that guy in the cab you know the guy upon whom you have everything riding on what he in return has earned for himself, that being a family sustaining wage an employer paid health insurance plan and something in the way of a pension plan you know the same thing X management people get, there wasn't enough left over to bother with. So you might as well just give him the route and that's what I did.

12yearsaslave

by the time you give that guy in the cab you know the guy upon whom you have everything riding on what he in return has earned for himself, that being a family sustaining wage an employer paid health insurance plan and something in the way of a pension plan you know the same thing X management people get
Why are you comparing a delivery driver position to that of management? Compare them to a switcher or a package handler. Same level of education and skill is required for those but not to manage. You are not hiring people that had to get a 4 year college education.

bacha29

Why are you comparing a delivery driver position to that of management? Compare them to a switcher or a package handler. Same level of education and skill is required for those but not to manage. You are not hiring people that had to get a 4 year college education.
If you don't do what is required of you to safeguard the interests and well being of the guy who you expect to do exactly that for you and your family then you tell me just what the hell is it that you think that guy owes you? Twelve you're thinking like X. They think that just because they are mighty Fedex they are therefore deserving of and entitled to an individual who will deliver top of the scale performance for bottom of the scale money and do it on a continuous daily basis for an extended period of time.

12yearsaslave

If you don't do what is required of you to safeguard the interests and well being of the guy who you expect to do exactly that for you and your family then you tell me just what the hell is it that you think that guy owes you? Twelve you're thinking like X. They think that just because they are mighty Fedex they are therefore deserving of and entitled to an individual who will deliver top of the scale performance for bottom of the scale money and do it on a continuous daily basis for an extended period of time.
All of my guys average 45k a year with top guys doing close to 60k. I provide health, 401k, vacation pay. And still do pretty well as a company. I have some contractors at the station that only have 4-5 guys and manage to stay out of the trucks themselves, buying new trucks and managing to provide a good living for their families. I've been doing this for 12 years. I do not know who hurt you but your view of X is very far from reality.
Yes there are negatives within the model: no control over where your routes go when new building open up, no real negotiations, ridiculous expectations from X management on what we should provide as a service.
But if you know your agreement well and are able to build the relationships with X and your fellow contractors this business is very manageable. And it has been steadily growing.
I think the problem is you have an employee mentality, you see UPS guys getting payed more and you think that's all there is in life. It is good for you that you got out.

bacha29

All of my guys average 45k a year with top guys doing close to 60k. I provide health, 401k, vacation pay. And still do pretty well as a company. I have some contractors at the station that only have 4-5 guys and manage to stay out of the trucks themselves, buying new trucks and managing to provide a good living for their families. I've been doing this for 12 years. I do not know who hurt you but your view of X is very far from reality.
Yes there are negatives within the model: no control over where your routes go when new building open up, no real negotiations, ridiculous expectations from X management on what we should provide as a service.
But if you know your agreement well and are able to build the relationships with X and your fellow contractors this business is very manageable. And it has been steadily growing.
I think the problem is you have an employee mentality, you see UPS guys getting payed more and you think that's all there is in life. It is good for you that you got out.
The purchasing power of that 45K you speak of varies widely nationwide. You mentioned that you provide health care but you didn't say who's paying the premiums or if it's family coverage or just individual coverage or how high the deductibles are. Likewise you spoke about a 401k but you didn't say if you matched their contributions. It's like furniture. you peel off the expensive looking veneer surface and what you almost always find underneath is the cheapest wood available

12yearsaslave

The purchasing power of that 45K you speak of varies widely nationwide. You mentioned that you provide health care but you didn't say who's paying the premiums or if it's family coverage or just individual coverage or how high the deductibles are. Likewise you spoke about a 401k but you didn't say if you matched their contributions. It's like furniture. you peel off the expensive looking veneer surface and what you almost always find underneath is the cheapest wood available
We pay half their healthcare cost, middle of the road plan, pay about a third for the families. match 4% 401k, 3 year cliff. $2400 vacation pay after 3 years.
You can't just look at a company that has 8500 contractors and say that they are complete :censored2: and there is no money to be made. There are people that are successful within the model.

bacha29

We pay half their healthcare cost, middle of the road plan, pay about a third for the families. match 4% 401k, 3 year cliff. $2400 vacation pay after 3 years.
You can't just look at a company that has 8500 contractors and say that they are complete :censored2: and there is no money to be made. There are people that are successful within the model.
Unless you are operating in just about the lowest cost of living area in the country your compensation plan is what it is.
Half As**d . Half of this, part of that. All designed to look good but cost the employer nothing and provide no meaningful security or benefit. If I were you I wouldn't go around bragging about your employee compensation plan because knowledgeable people will laugh right in your face.

12yearsaslave

Unless you are operating in just about the lowest cost of living area in the country your compensation plan is what it is.
Half As**d . Half of this, part of that. All designed to look good but cost the employer nothing and provide no meaningful security or benefit. If I were you I wouldn't go around bragging about your employee compensation plan because knowledgeable people will laugh right in your face.
I don't know where you live getting 50k a year plus benefits and 3 weeks of vacation for a local driving job home by 5 looks great to me. Job requires 0 skill/knowledge/education. We provide all of the training.
That reality you live in, it's not the reality the rest of the country lives in.

bacha29

I don't know where you live getting 50k a year plus benefits and 3 weeks of vacation for a local driving job home by 5 looks great to me. Job requires 0 skill/knowledge/education. We provide all of the training.
That reality you live in, it's not the reality the rest of the country lives in.
Then why don't you try living on it. 4% contribution , why bother? I'll bet that your health insurance plan covers a lot more than you're employees and that won't take much. At the same time if you can get people to take the offer .ok. as long as they know that what you have to offer is transitional employment. The job between jobs.