Buying a Fedex Ground Route

Exec32

I
You can't bill them. Fedex already quoted them a price. You are contracted to fedex, not their customers. You can give fedex an invoice daily for the work you agreed to do for them if you want, but not their customers. You have no contract with the customers of fedex. For you to invoice them would be like me invoicing you.
I believe we are talking about X. We should be able to bill X for services that fall outside the contract that we provide that X has failed to cover.
There are set responsibilities in this relationship you know, and when I don't cover mine, I suffer, when X don't cover theirs,,,,,,well.....we have to do it,,there you have it.

dmac1

I

I believe we are talking about X. We should be able to bill X for services that fall outside the contract that we provide that X has failed to cover.
There are set responsibilities in this relationship you know, and when I don't cover mine, I suffer, when X don't cover theirs,,,,,,well.....we have to do it,,there you have it.
I originally read it as the contractor billing the deliveree. I understand now that you are talking about invoicing fedex for services you are providing outside the contract.

You may be upset about doing so, but you can't bill someone for something you are doing without some sort of contractual obligation.

I can't go around mowing all my neighbors lawns without any agreement and then billing them. Anything you do that makes your job easier is on you, even if it helps fedex save money.

Bounty

I

Well said, most contractors have no idea about owning their own business. Let's face it most contractors that exist have been with X for a while and jumped through the hoops X put in front of them (signing all the nonsense X put in front of them along the way). Check out the routes for sale websites, notice the increase in X routes for sale. Anybody that does their "due diligence" would be an absolute fool to dump money into this scam. If it was your own business you would make up your own standards of who you hire and X would not have say.

bacha29

Well said, most contractors have no idea about owning their own business. Let's face it most contractors that exist have been with X for a while and jumped through the hoops X put in front of them (signing all the nonsense X put in front of them along the way). Check out the routes for sale websites, notice the increase in X routes for sale. Anybody that does their "due diligence" would be an absolute fool to dump money into this scam. If it was your own business you would make up your own standards of who you hire and X would not have say.
Remember contracting with X has nothing to do with creating equity for contractors. I too believe that the class actions will not end with the West Coast and the multi state settlement. There will be new class actions filed. Some will be certified others will not. Whatever future litigation might arise it will not stop X from going forward with whatever plans they may have.

dmac1

I think there may be something with the teamsters looking to organize all drivers under one contract by claiming that fedex is a co-employer, and thus the union would not have to organize drivers under each ISP separately. Not knowing how similar ISP contracts are, I think a class action by ISPs is unlikely unless fedex has not met contract terms on a widespread basis. It would be like McDonalds franchise owners banding together to sue fedex.

Bounty

Remember contracting with X has nothing to do with creating equity for contractors. I too believe that the class actions will not end with the West Coast and the multi state settlement. There will be new class actions filed. Some will be certified others will not. Whatever future litigation might arise it will not stop X from going forward with whatever plans they may have.
In the past, X counted on the weasel contractor. Willing to take an area that another contractor would not serve to make a point, now even the weasel doesn't want the extra work. This might hurt X. I can only hope so.

dmac1

In the past, X counted on the weasel contractor. Willing to take an area that another contractor would not serve to make a point, now even the weasel doesn't want the extra work. This might hurt X. I can only hope so.

I think there are still a lot of weasels there, judging by some of the people posting.

Bounty

I think there are still a lot of weasels there, judging by some of the people posting.
I'm still in contact with a lot of the contractors that decided to go forward with the scam and not one of them said they are happy with their decision to go forward. They all want out. Massive debt and less money.

bacha29

I'm still in contact with a lot of the contractors that decided to go forward with the scam and not one of them said they are happy with their decision to go forward. They all want out. Massive debt and less money.
Same heard here. Tying to deleverage as quickly as possible ,build cash reserves and just hoping that they will be able to get enough money out of an increasingly frugal X to cover increased costs now as well as going forward.

Exec32

I originally read it as the contractor billing the deliveree. I understand now that you are talking about invoicing fedex for services you are providing outside the contract.

You may be upset about doing so, but you can't bill someone for something you are doing without some sort of contractual obligation.

I can't go around mowing all my neighbors lawns without any agreement and then billing them. Anything you do that makes your job easier is on you, even if it helps fedex save money.
Only things they request I do outside a compensated service that is necessary. The contract is not that rigid, in fact it has a clause to agree to pay invoiced expenses.

bacha29

It's for scanners. Should X start invoicing for parking spaces or for loading the trucks?
Don't be surprised if that's what comes next and everyone should be prepared for it. I think though that before that you'll have to get your own operating authority.

Exec32

Yup, they ask me to tape a box, or repackage one, or call a customer to locate the house, handle a complaint, go to meetings, random drug test the contractor. These all come with an expense, but X avoids them.

Legally yes,
I'm not advocating it.

Exec32

Than
Don't be surprised if that's what comes next and everyone should be prepared for it. I think though that before that you'll have to get your own operating authority.
Thank you,
I mentioned that to another contractor and he was puzzled. X uses the DOT # as a guise to control us through the FMCSA. They have us under their authority so it does not draw scrutiny.
It is in the best interest for contractors to have their own authority. X knows it will cost them more because we will have to pass on the expenses to our customer (X).
In the end X will pay more, and have less control. X does not want to make this change,,,,for now.

bacha29

Than

Thank you,
I mentioned that to another contractor and he was puzzled. X uses the DOT # as a guise to control us through the FMCSA. They have us under their authority so it does not draw scrutiny.
It is in the best interest for contractors to have their own authority. X knows it will cost them more because we will have to pass on the expenses to our customer (X).
In the end X will pay more, and have less control. X does not want to make this change,,,,for now.
Those numbers on the side of the truck dictate everything. The only course of action available that will give you the autonomy you seek is by acquiring your own authority . Both your own D.O.T. number as well as your own PUC number in the state in which reside. As long as X requires you to operate under their authority there's little autonomy at stake. It's their way or else.

dmac1

As someone who contracted to make deliveries, it IS your job to locate the address. As far as taping boxes, it is better for you to just tape it yourself instead of waiting on QA, and same for complaints. If you did something wrong, or your driver, in order to protect your contract, you should follow up on complaints. And if your driver is chosen randomly for a drug test, as is required by law, it is up to you to ensure compliance. Some meetings may be voluntary, but how do you expect to know about changes to procedures without notification?

If the contract allows for all those things and doesn't set up separate compensation for them, you are obligated to provide them without extra compensation. All of those things that you do to make it easier or faster for yourself are on you, even if it saves fedex money. If you want, give every box with a bent corner or small tear back to fedex if you want. But good luck come renewal.

bacha29

As someone who contracted to make deliveries, it IS your job to locate the address. As far as taping boxes, it is better for you to just tape it yourself instead of waiting on QA, and same for complaints. If you did something wrong, or your driver, in order to protect your contract, you should follow up on complaints. And if your driver is chosen randomly for a drug test, as is required by law, it is up to you to ensure compliance. Some meetings may be voluntary, but how do you expect to know about changes to procedures without notification?

If the contract allows for all those things and doesn't set up separate compensation for them, you are obligated to provide them without extra compensation. All of those things that you do to make it easier or faster for yourself are on you, even if it saves fedex money. If you want, give every box with a bent corner or small tear back to fedex if you want. But good luck come renewal.
Good points . it would appear that X32 is suffering from some sort of adjustment disorder. There is only one way that he will achieve the freedom he seeks. Sell his routes for whatever he can get out of them and get on with his life. Hw alone is the only one who can do it.