Buyout in 2013

Karma...

Will UPS be following FDX in offering a buyout in 2013. There are many older UPS management people that really are just taking up costly space and should be enticed to get going.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Will UPS be following FDX in offering a buyout in 2013. There are many older UPS management people that really are just taking up costly space and should be enticed to get going.

I wish but no real chance.

I'm retiring regardless unless they offer a buyout and exclude me again.
That would suck working two more years to make up the difference. :sick:

tourists24

I wish but no real chance.

I'm retiring regardless unless they offer a buyout and exclude me again.
That would suck working two more years to make up the difference. :sick:
When was that last buyout Hoax? Were you eligible for that one? I do remember several of our sups took the offer and one in particular decided to stay.... he is still here and cant have much time to go now

tourists24

1996, then 2007 and the last in 2010
definitely 1996 one I am thinking of then..... I dont really follow the buyout stuff but I did have several friends that was involved in that one.... the good ole days with old school sups...... at my center every good one but one took that buyout...

preload1

The only thing UPS ever followed FedEx in doing was entry into the overnight air market. FedEx always follows UPS's lead. As far as people taking up costly space there are more BUM's (Bargaining Unit Member's) who really need to go.

packageguy

The only thing UPS ever followed FedEx in doing was entry into the overnight air market. FedEx always follows UPS's lead. As far as people taking up costly space there are more BUM's (Bargaining Unit Member's) who really need to go.

Are you calling drivers and preloaders BUM'S...

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

there are CERTAIN union members who really need to go, same as management, but overall UPS could do with less managers and more hourlies

W

want to retire

Who and why? Really need to go for what reason? How about you?

Karma...

This buy out will happen in may 2013 and will be aimed at the supervisors who are already eligible but for some reason refuse to retire. I know their retirement pension is a joke and the stock has been devalued each public year but they should either be enticed with a buy out or coerced out with lousy assignments. Its bad for morale to see these dinos still around.

tourists24

This buy out will happen in may 2013 and will be aimed at the supervisors who are already eligible but for some reason refuse to retire. I know their retirement pension is a joke and the stock has been devalued each public year but they should either be enticed with a buy out or coerced out with lousy assignments. Its bad for morale to see these dinos still around.
Bad for morale? How so? Curious, the only supervisors I still have any inkling of respect for are those same dinos

Karma...

Those dino supervisors have been told earlier this year (2012) that they will be getting an annual negetive increase as long as they stay in their current pay slot. Looks like the ups partnership doesnt include supervisors. At what level does this partnership concept now begin ?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Those dino supervisors have been told earlier this year (2012) that they will be getting an annual negative increase as long as they stay in their current pay slot.

This "red-circling" included many managers and a few Division Managers (level 18) as well as supervisors.

Looks like the ups partnership doesn't include supervisors. At what level does this partnership concept now begin ?

Level 20 appears to be the new partnership entry level.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
big changes from private to public. much was lost. what was gained ?

This type of fundamental divergence only leads to speculation in the "what if" pondering.
There is nothing I can do about it so I tried to adapt.
I'm not sure I adapted optimally but I did not keep my head in the sand either.

BrownSuit

big changes from private to public. much was lost. what was gained ?

Casca - It's obvious from some of your posts (Asking the level that Partnership starts) that you are going off what you've heard, or believe to be the case and likely do not have a full story. Hoax mixed the two job levels in his response to you, with reference to the new at which level partnership starts and reference to the old with referencing division managers.

As far as the other comment about negative increases each year that individuals stay around at a certain level, I am not going to go into specifics, but that's simply not the case. Given your knowledge of the subject it's obvious that you were not impacted. Your direct manager should have covered this as part of your 2012 Merit Increase in which there was a brochure that would have explained how this correctly worked. I would suggest if you received it to dust it off and read through it, if you did not to see out your manager for guidance. Even behind the anonymity of the internet, it would be inappropriate for me to discuss it further here.

All is not lost, the company is not dead or dying after going public, far from it. A number of your recent posts give the impression that the world has ended because we are now a publicly traded company.

I would challenge that moving into the 21st century as a company we needed to once again (this is the 2nd time) be a publicly traded company. Have we been much more concerned about our bottom line than before? Absolutely. Are there times where we step over a nickel to save a penny? Unfortunately. The end result though has been a company that is more competitive, nimble in the market, and in the position to expand not just through our own operations, but through acquisitions. Would we have been able to raise funds for an Overnite as a private, employee owned company? What about the largest in our company's history with TnT, just a paltry 5.8B in US Dollars. Are we no longer accountable to each others or fellow partners in the company? I would say absolutely not. If you are a partner, part of your obligation is to uphold your partners, but also hold them accountable. Going public has added another level of accountability that should have been in place with our partners (internal shareowners) with our Class B Shareowners who trade our stock publicly.

Remember, what made many UPSers Millionaires within a short period of time. It was taking our company public and the resulting splits and increases in our stock price. Have we seen that since going public? No, but show me another stock that currently has a 3% dividend yield when you can barely get .25% APY in your savings account through the local bank. If you walk into your Operating/Business Unit each day with the mindset that all is lost in your head then you will work as if all is lost and there is no reason to keep going each day.