Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

vantexan

Re: Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

I never said they didn't have good ideas, I said that they can have some that are impractical. Why are 99% of them ignored? They are narrow in focus and don't take into other factors into consideration. The gains in one area (service, for instance) are more than offset by losses in another (SPH). Or vice versa. Or this guy wants his route adjusted to get more hours. OK, but it hurts the station in P/FTE and doesn't give us any gains in SPH or service. And my personal favorite, the courier who always makes service and goal who swears that his area is too big for him to make service and goal and he wants it restructured. "We can hire a PT courier to take what I bleed off." Yeah.

All of the above X 100. They aren't necessarily bad idea, just narrow.

I've transferred into 6 rts in the past that were restructured after I left because the couriers who took them over couldn't handle them. Including hiring a part-timer on a couple of them. Because I did handle them any complaints on my part fell on deaf ears. One rt the 4X10 cover was screaming about the rt and the mgr said I was handling it so it couldn't be that bad. I absolutely despise mgrs who will run you into the ground because they like the numbers. My only real recourse was to transfer because the two times I managed to finally get into a better rt I was treated like crap by the mgr who did everything possible to both keep me in the bad rt and to keep me from transferring. Frankly it's, in most cases, not about a good and wise mgr who sees things in the total operation that the courier doesn't. It's about career climbers who use you in every way possible to further their own interests. When you are literally running windsprints to get what's dumped on you done while their buddies cruise and then don't get rewarded for the effort, well it's a poisoned system and one I look dearly forward to leaving soon.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Re: Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

The problem with your point is that couriers can think anything they like, but are powerless to implement change on their own. The company puts a lot of window dressing on trying to make us think our input is part of the process, but they only try something we come up with when it's clear it will work and make them look good in the process. In my experience, that is, YMMV.

That's not my point of view, but my experience. An idea that creates a bigger problem than it solves is not a practical idea.

The most recent example that I have firsthand knowledge of is a Mon-Fri route was changed to Tues-Sat. Her Mon stops were absorbed, and absorbed easily, by 2 other routes. She's lobbying like crazy for it to go back to Mon-Fri. So far, she's yet to come up with a way to do it that won't kill the SPH and P/FTE gains. I can empathize with her, but I realize that there is no way they are going to bring in 8 hours of labor on a Monday when they don't need it. She doesn't understand that, and some of her peers don't understand it.

bbsam

Staff member
I believe in conducting business ethically. That's the difference between you and me.
since you have a college degree,you know this statement to be categorically unfair. People do and always will have different opinions on what is and is not ethical. That his actions or mine do not fit your views does not put you in a position to declare the actions or the individual as "unethical".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
since you have a college degree,you know this statement to be categorically unfair. People do and always will have different opinions on what is and is not ethical. That his actions or mine do not fit your views does not put you in a position to declare the actions or the individual as "unethical".

The statement is not categorically unfair, and it has nothing to do with college. FedEx is not an ethical organization, and Dano is fine with that. Since you point out that opinions differ, that is my opinion. "I believe in conducting business ethically" is an opinion, not a statement of fact, although in the case of FedEx unethical behavior is the status quo.

bbsam

Staff member
The statement is not categorically unfair, and it has nothing to do with college. FedEx is not an ethical organization, and Dano is fine with that. Since you point out that opinions differ, that is my opinion. "I believe in conducting business ethically" is an opinion, not a statement of fact, although in the case of FedEx unethical behavior is the status quo.

but I believe in conducting business ethically too and you may say I don't considering your view of the model in general. So the statementbreally means little, does it?