Cable Supported Chutes are accidents waiting to happen.

PE Pro

Cable Supported Chutes are accidents waiting to happen???

3532035775_a4e0a78d98.jpg

Ahhhh, serenity...
Ahhhh,serenity.....
Conveyor Sign.png
Conveyor Sign 2.png
casket.jpg

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
This is my point. This equipment does fall and it falls when it is up not when it is down resting on the conveyor. Cable(Actually called wire rope) supported equipment is dangerous and UPS PE does a pitiful job designing, inspecting, and maintaining this type of equipment. UPS management in most cases don't even bother to provide means for blocking this equipment up when someone has to go under one in the raised position. But you can bet you last dollar it is listed in the lockout manual as equipment that has stored hazardous energy. What a shame. :slap:

If a cable supported chute is "technically" a lock out violation because it contains stored energy, why isn't a (non powered) roll up door or any other piece of equipment that is supported above ground level?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I still don't understand why this is now an issue. Did someone look up and find an issue that they wanted to bring forward or is it a problemn-identifier that wants to gum up the works?

Let's be serious here!!

PE Pro

If a cable supported chute is "technically" a lock out violation because it contains stored energy, why isn't a (non powered) roll up door or any other piece of equipment that is supported above ground level?
Good Point! Why don't you look it up where you got all those great bench grinder facts and get back to me. That doesn't change the dangers of the cable supported chutes or that they are listed in the lockout book. Be my guest work under them all you want. It probably won't fall, but they do!:smart:

PE Pro

I still don't understand why this is now an issue. Did someone look up and find an issue that they wanted to bring forward or is it a problemn-identifier that wants to gum up the works?

Let's be serious here!!
Be serious? Try reading the OP. You will note that I am relatively new here to the BC. I am a PE mechanic. Are you with me so far? Are you sure? The other day I saw a lady standing under one of these in the raised position. Are you still with me? This is crazy! It always was crazy and it always will be crazy to stand under cable supported equipment. So I shared it here! So what! These things fail! Anybody who has been around UPS for any time knows this. Be serious!:knockedout:

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Be serious? Try reading the OP. You will note that I am relatively new here to the BC. I am a PE mechanic. Are you with me so far? Are you sure? The other day I saw a lady standing under one of these in the raised position. Are you still with me? This is crazy! It always was crazy and it always will be crazy to stand under cable supported equipment. So I shared it here! So what! These things fail! Anybody who has been around UPS for any time knows this. Be serious!:knockedout:

These things have been around for years. Follow me so far, sport? Was failure imminent? Still with me? Did you save her? Probably lost you now:knockedout:

PE Pro

These things have been around for years. So what?Follow me so far, sport? Sport of choice-baseball!:baseballplayer:Was failure imminent?Sad to say I am a maintenance man for UPS- I have seen and worked on many fallen chutes. They fall, you get it, they fall. Failure is imminent, where? when? They fall, you with me? Still with me? Did you save her?She still lives! Probably lost you now!:knockedout: I once was lost but now I am found. I once was blind but now I see.

Do you have a problem with my OP? It seems like your ok with this hazardous situation.:confused:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Good Point! Why don't you look it up where you got all those great bench grinder facts and get back to me. That doesn't change the dangers of the cable supported chutes or that they are listed in the lockout book. Be my guest work under them all you want. It probably won't fall, but they do!:smart:

I was attempting to ask you a logical question. Why are you pressing to get rid of poorly maintained dangerous chutes but you support keeping dangerous poorly maintained grinders? I'm sure you won't find cable supported chutes in the top 10 OSHA violation list, but you will see bench grinders there.

I'm living on the edge. I walk through overhead doors just to see if I can make it through before they come crashing down.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was attempting to ask you a logical question. Why are you pressing to get rid of poorly maintained dangerous chutes but you support keeping dangerous poorly maintained grinders? I'm sure you won't find cable supported chutes in the top 10 OSHA violation list, but you will see bench grinders there.

I'm living on the edge. I walk through overhead doors just to see if I can make it through before they come crashing down.
Our main overhead doors have both been replaced in the last few years. The main door was replaced after our current on-road supe crashed into it while backing out of the building, several years ago. I guess while backing, you can't see whether something is rolled all the way up or not.

The other door, (mechanics door), was blown in by a hurricane in 2004/2005 and was replaced along with part of the roof.

PE Pro

:nonono:No, No, No! Not Bench grinder thread! You are :offtopic:! Your glib response is typical of UPS management or someone who naturally assumes the "Devils Advocate" in group discussion. Are you an advocate of the :devil:????

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Pe Pe Pro, You're right. These chutes are soooo dangerous UPS should encase the buildings they're in in concrete.
Oh, maybe this is a thread about how little UPS cares about it's people, therefore puts them in in grave danger every moment.
If you are so concerned, did you do anything other than post about it? Did you bring it to anyone's attention that unless there is a need, people should not stand under them?
Are they on a periodic maintenance schedule? You should know the level of danger more than anyone. Are you standing by waiting for these people to be crushed to death? Have you rigged the chutes to fall on your command? Have you put a spell on the chutes? Are they haunted by their former victims?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
:nonono:No, No, No! Not Bench grinder thread! You are :offtopic:! Your glib response is typical of UPS management or someone who naturally assumes the "Devils Advocate" in group discussion. Are you an advocate of the :devil:????

I must be since I've been working for the demon for a long time.

I thought the devils advocate is someone that always looks at the negative side of things and constantly brings up trouble or problems. Know anyone that fits the description?

PE Pro

I must be since I've been working for the demon for a long time.

I thought the devils advocate is someone that always looks at the negative side of things and constantly brings up trouble or problems. Know anyone that fits the description?
devil's advocate: One who argues against a cause or position, not as a committed opponent but simply for the sake of argument or to determine the validity of the cause or position.:devil3:

PE Pro

:blahblah:
Pe Pe Pro, You're right.I know! These chutes are soooo dangerous UPS should encase the buildings they're in in concrete.Bring your suggestion up to your PE Management not me!
Oh, maybe this is a thread about how little UPS cares about it's people, therefore puts them in in grave danger every moment. How true. How true.
If you are so concerned, did you do anything other than post about it?Not concerned and no. Did you bring it to anyone's attention that unless there is a need, people should not stand under them?No.
Are they on a periodic maintenance schedule?You are kidding. Ask your PE guy don't ask me! You should know the level of danger more than anyone. Not more than God. Are you standing by waiting for these people to be crushed to death?No Have you rigged the chutes to fall on your command?No Have you put a spell on the chutes?No Are they haunted by their former victims?You tell me!
:blahblah: