CACH Illinois hub Service Failing milions of packages this week!

250s

I agree with you. We refused ICC instructions at VALE colorado after the crash and sat parked for 2 hours until Penske came and put chains onto our rental tractor. Turned out, we had the wrong kind of chains in the tractor and ICC still insisted we keep moving or be diverted to NJ. The team that crashed was a set of rookies that were also told to keep moving without chains. (they were not required in Glenwood springs) and mandatory in Vale.

I also agree and saw the same thing when I was down in red river going up and it started to snow and a sleeper team passed me like i was standing still. One of our teams also had three flat tires three separate times in the rockies.

If you were in Vale about midnight, you would remember seeing at least 10 sleeper teams parked there at chain up, and NONE of them capable of putting on chains. Thank God I called Penske on the way up and had them there when we arrived.

As for CMG/ICC, you know the routine, they tell you to keep going no matter what, then it takes a short argument to convince them of anything, then they start with the threats and phone calls. I agree, I dont drive when its unsafe no matter what they say.

My B drivers shift began at midnight at vale, and he was scared shirtless about having to drive down the mountain in those conditions. ICC got into a huge argument with him and in the end, we lost 2 hours because it was just too dangerous.

Yes, this run had ALL the rookies who graduated feeder in october from so cal. and that led to most of the problems.

Poor planning on UPS part for not training them earlier in 2013 and having them ready for something like this.

TOS.
Good post, I've been going through the Rockies and bad weather for 10 years. Those conditions were average, I've seen a lot worse and it wasn't even that cold!! When dealing with CMG and bad weather, you never ask, you just tell them you're shutting it down. Of course they'll try to talk you out of it, what can they do, it's a safety issue! Rookies or no rookies, you'd think common sense would dictate you to slow down. Again, just my opinion.

slingblade

Extra?

They run trains over a mile long and they're loaded full. There is no extra. The game is to make sure our trailers instead of someone elses are on that train.

do you work for the railroad? I'm curious how you would know how much equipment the railroad has?

P

pickup

I agree with you. We refused ICC instructions at VALE colorado after the crash and sat parked for 2 hours until Penske came and put chains onto our rental tractor. Turned out, we had the wrong kind of chains in the tractor and ICC still insisted we keep moving or be diverted to NJ. The team that crashed was a set of rookies that were also told to keep moving without chains. (they were not required in Glenwood springs) and mandatory in Vale.

I also agree and saw the same thing when I was down in red river going up and it started to snow and a sleeper team passed me like i was standing still. One of our teams also had three flat tires three separate times in the rockies.

If you were in Vale about midnight, you would remember seeing at least 10 sleeper teams parked there at chain up, and NONE of them capable of putting on chains. Thank God I called Penske on the way up and had them there when we arrived.

As for CMG/ICC, you know the routine, they tell you to keep going no matter what, then it takes a short argument to convince them of anything, then they start with the threats and phone calls. I agree, I dont drive when its unsafe no matter what they say.

My B drivers shift began at midnight at vale, and he was scared shirtless about having to drive down the mountain in those conditions. ICC got into a huge argument with him and in the end, we lost 2 hours because it was just too dangerous.

Yes, this run had ALL the rookies who graduated feeder in october from so cal. and that led to most of the problems.

Poor planning on UPS part for not training them earlier in 2013 and having them ready for something like this.

TOS.
So even though he didn't answer the question directly, I assume , based on the above post, that TOS is part of the October So. Cal feeder rookie class. And part of a sleeper team, to boot. Hey, Tos, just in case you haven't figured it out, your team driver isn't going straight from the driver's seat to the bunk because he needs to get some sleep, he is doing that get away from you and your non stop airing of your opinions.

Also, another question Tos, does your so cal. motorcycle posse ride in a convoy with you in the event that you need to teach any non cooperative motorists a lesson in sharing the road?

P

pickup

Wow, another scary thought, TOS might have a C.B. (citizen's band radio) to broadcast his opinions to a listening audience of a 2 1/2 mile radius.

Our BA told us yesterday that we are fighting with the manufacturers of Chinese-made goods for available space on the trains.

Dave, we're fighting with everybody.

In a way we did this to ourselves. We came up with all these service commitments that eventually couldn't be met by the existing rail system. So we created sleeper teams and such to move trailers faster by road. Our less volume caused the railyards to cut back and have to find other shippers. Then the recession hit cause further cutbacks. As the economy returns they have less equipment and employees so it's not a matter of just calling a driver to come in and jump in a rental truck like we can. They have X amount of space and it is up for grabs. Throw in this years weather. Throw in his years piss poor planning. Now we have late/backed up trailers and still the X amount of rail space.

It's the trailer version of going back to a jilted lover and wondering why she won't help us out.

pretender

reckon they need em in december..uhuh

They know in April there is going to be a need for drivers for peak season. Why not do the training in the Spring, and give people a chance to ease into it by covering vacations? Not to mention the fact that that these days, the person doing the training is barely qualified. BTW--many of the seasonal feeder runs are added before December.

slingblade

They know in April there is going to be a need for drivers for peak season. Why not do the training in the Spring, and give people a chance to ease into it by covering vacations? Not to mention the fact that that these days, the person doing the training is barely qualified. BTW--many of the seasonal feeder runs are added before December.

reckon that would make sense, which may be why they dont do it.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Aw come on. That would make too much sense. Besides it would cut into Dear Leader's bonus.

pretender

We were bringing in the first of our guys at the end of August.

At least that gives them a little time to get used to it.

I know it is NOT funny, but I had to chuckle at the thought of being trained in October, and being sent into the mountains in a snowstorm in January!