CACH Illinois hub Service Failing milions of packages this week!

Scuba Steve

Why couldn't some of the volume be diverted to Air? MD-11, 747, 767 to and from Ontario to Louisville, Philly, Dallas and Columbia? Flights are going there anyhow just upgrade the equipment to handle the volume. It helps keep the system flowing and flys over the bad weather.

pretender

I have no idea. I have never signed the sleeper list. No way I could sleep while someone else was driving.
Plus, I have no desire to be away from home for days.

We did not have sleepers, but there is no way I would even consider bidding on one. I agree with not being able to sleep while someone else is driving.

My idea of the perfect run would be a 300 mile, 8:00 to 5:00 day job. We had several of these until CACH opened up, so I finished my career on TDP/CPU.

What's so good about it. What makes it so desirable??
It used to be much better money and a shorter work week.
Ovahs right. It's a very short list of drivers I trust enough to sleep while they drive. As far as being away from family..........gosh, how terrible. :)

p228

Why couldn't some of the volume be diverted to Air? MD-11, 747, 767 to and from Ontario to Louisville, Philly, Dallas and Columbia? Flights are going there anyhow just upgrade the equipment to handle the volume. It helps keep the system flowing and flys over the bad weather.

Ground volume doesn't go in the air system. One reason is Hazmat regulations. For example, you can easily ship a box of ammunition in the ground system just by putting an ORM-D sticker on it. In the air system it would have to be an ORM-D Air which is treated like a normal hazmat and requires special (read expensive) training on the customers' end.

250s

What's so good about it. What makes it so desirable??
Have you ever tried it? Like most people I've worked with, at UPS, they bad mouth the jobs they've never done! I know not all sleeper runs are the same, some run through the weekend. The sleeper run I do is a 3 day work week, Tues thru Thurs. Four day weekends, Friday thru Monday. Approximately 32 hours of work a week, 28 to 30 driving, 1 to 3 hrs for fuel stops and turnarounds. In Southern California local feeder drivers work up to 60 hrs a week. Add their commute time and sleep time. Who actually ends up with more time with their family??? I realize it's not that way everywhere in the U S, however, that is what I have to work with.
Also, when you come back and choose to do local work, which is extra work, the 4th day is time and a half, the 5th day is double time!! You do the math. Not to mention you STILL have 2 days off in the work week!
Every situation is different, I realize that, however, their are more positives than negatives for me.

Have you ever tried it? Like most people I've worked with, at UPS, they bad mouth the jobs they've never done! I know not all sleeper runs are the same, some run through the weekend. The sleeper run I do is a 3 day work week, Tues thru Thurs. Four day weekends, Friday thru Monday. Approximately 32 hours of work a week, 28 to 30 driving, 1 to 3 hrs for fuel stops and turnarounds. In Southern California local feeder drivers work up to 60 hrs a week. Add their commute time and sleep time. Who actually ends up with more time with their family??? I realize it's not that way everywhere in the U S, however, that is what I have to work with.
Also, when you come back and choose to do local work, which is extra work, the 4th day is time and a half, the 5th day is double time!! You do the math. Not to mention you STILL have 2 days off in the work week!
Every situation is different, I realize that, however, their are more positives than negatives for me.
All I asked is what makes it desirable son.

some1else

Banned
UPS can't control the weather which also shut down Indy for 2 days. No amount of expanded infrastructure would have allowed Indy to operate either of those 2 days.

Weather happens----it is how the company responds that is important and expanding infrastructure is not an appropriate response.
Wrong.

Obviously some weather delays are impossible. But having the excessive sphor and pph etc gives no flexibility to "make up" after these events. If all the routes where dispatched with a realistic 8-9hr day on average it would be alot easier to catch up vs the 10-12hr days we have been getting for the last 4-5 years