Cage car weight limit

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So what we call a cage car is a 24footer. It looks like its GVWR is 24k ( i will check the registration today) So lets say it was loaded with 650 pcs at 40lbs a piece thats puts it at 26,000 lbs. So it was overloaded ? And if it was what type of responsibility do I have as a driver? I have no way of knowing the weights of the boxes until they are un-loaded. Whats scary is that they were going to load another 200 into the 24 footer until I asked about how much weight it can handle. They had no idea so they put the rest in a p-1
Yes it was overloaded. WAY overloaded. The 24K GVRW includes the weight of the vehicle, occupants and fuel. Lets say that equals 15K, that leaves 9K left for actual cargo, if you put 26K of cargo in there you were close to 3x the safe limit.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
Anything over 24k requires a cdl. Also the weight limit for a straight truck is nowhere near the amount of weight you had in there. If it happens again you should refuse to take the truck out. The company cannot discipline you for refusing to drove an unsafe truck that clearly is in violation of Dot laws.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Is that over or under inflating them? Wouldn't having them under inflated prematurely wear the tire?
100 PSI is the correct pressure. I have always been conflicted by this for as long as I have worked at UPS. Every mechanic knew 75PSI was way too low and largely ignored it. Just recently the inflation chart has been made sensible and safe.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Yes it was overloaded. WAY overloaded. The 24K GVRW includes the weight of the vehicle, occupants and fuel. Lets say that equals 15K, that leaves 9K left for actual cargo, if you put 26K of cargo in there you were close to 3x the safe limit.
Since when is safety allowed to interfere with production?

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
When I started on the preload the max weight limit was 50 lbs. Before that the weight limit was 35 lbs. UPS is a small package delivery company not a fright company. Anything over 50 lbs should go to UPS Freight.

In the last few weeks, I feel that we have become a furniture moving company.

HardknocksUPSer

I loaded a package car the other day with 370 peices, all HEAVY bulk and hardware equipment, the fenders were within a inch or less of dragging the tires.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Then when something goes wrong, Automotive gets thrown under the bus first.