Calculated Gamble

pretzel_man

There is one item that has not been mentioned.

While I was doing cover work, I noticed several times that two people running the same route, with very close packages, stops, miles etc (less than 2% variance on items) would be as much as 45 minutes or more difference in over/under.

I realize that items such as O/70 etc factor in, but 45+ minutes?

So if all the measurable metrics are that close, how can the report say they are that different.

I really suspect the social security number (the driver) impacts the standards.

So "Sometimes it is the driver" might have more meaning that just the speed that is worked by either.

d

No, the driver does not impact the "standard". It does not work that way. If it did, I would then agree that it is no longer a standard....

Ask any timestudy observer. The area is studied, not the driver.

Besides packages and stops other things matter:

Miles
Delivery Unit
Pickup Unit
Accessorials

If these are all the same, the planned day will be identical. Guaranteed....

What'dyabringmetoday???

I think his brother works in my center. He is at least an hour over every day yet all three of his cover drivers run scratch or better and, yes, they take their 10 minute break and 45 minute lunch. Sometimes it is the driver.
Sometimes it is. Many claim to take their lunch and break, but how do you actually know? Most do not take it during the contractual times either. But, 100 years from now, won't matter to any of us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sometimes it is. Many claim to take their lunch and break, but how do you actually know? Most do not take it during the contractual times either. But, 100 years from now, won't matter to any of us.

One sure way to find out is to print their delivery records and highlight any activity during the time that they are on lunch and break. You are right in that most of our drivers do not take their lunch and break when the contract says we are supposed to but I suppose it is better than not taking them at all.

It won't matter to me in 8 1/2 years.

What'dyabringmetoday???

One sure way to find out is to print their delivery records and highlight any activity during the time that they are on lunch and break. You are right in that most of our drivers do not take their lunch and break when the contract says we are supposed to but I suppose it is better than not taking them at all.

It won't matter to me in 8 1/2 years.
Well, good luck to you. I hope the little charade they pulled last year will actually help the pension, but I would be surprised if it does. AND, it is definitely better to take the breaks when you are supposed to. I will stop there because, well, you know.

Just_another_day_at_work

One of my problem with timestudies is that management (at least here) can't accept the fact that it isn't working all the time. When I am running "trash" routes I am anywhere from 50-150 clicks over and I get the "I need you to...", but when covering for bid routes I am close to the planned day. Now instead of accepting the problem or try to resolve it by making "overallowed" routes more efficent, they take the easy way and blame it on the driver and threatening with 3 day ojs.

UpsguyDGAF

So we need to come togeather somehow, or talk to our union reps so next contract they can do something about it. Any good ideas? Im in for it. Im sick of getting fired for redicious things, having the stress then getting my job back. My whole center is corrupt when talking about our #s. Im not, and I pay for it bye any mistake I could make they try and make it a Cardinal Sin or write up

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Or.....

There is is nothing to be gained by having the union recognize a system of measurement that may actually point out performance issues.

I'm just saying....

If the problem is a performance issue on the part of the driver....the company will correct the problem. The driver will be OJS'd, he will be harassed, and his job will be threatened until his problem has been corrected.

If, on the other hand, the problem is an allowance issue....the company will not correct the problem. However, they will still OJS and harass and threaten the job of the driver until he corrects the company's problem for them...which usually involves working through his lunch and break.

Any system of measurement for which there is no mechanism for correcting known flaws is, by definition, unfair.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Or.....

The myth of "conspiricy" must be maintained at all costs.

I'm just saying....

If I go to the store and pay $10 for one pound of meat and then weigh it at home and it only weighs 6/10 of a pound, I will go back to the store and complain. If they apologize and refund my money and adjust the scale to prevent the issue from happening again....I will probably give them the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming that it is a conspiracy.

But if I go back to the store to complain and they say "yes, we know our scale is 4/10 off, but it is against policy for us to ever adjust the scale and our Accounting department requires us to charge for a full pound anyway" then I am not going to give them the benefit of the doubt because it is a conspiracy.

I'm just saying....