California drivers!!

helenofcalifornia

We have to take a mandatory one hour lunch now. No new news there. Our center manager said that the only way we could have the option of a half hour lunch is if we get together with the Union and they agree to it.

Is there any other center or hub that is allowed to take a half hour instead of the full hour? And how did you get it?

If a driver wants to take the full hour, fine. But I am antsy to hit the road after 20 minutes. And the last 40 minutes d...r...a...g.

upshawk

In Iowa many drivers grieved it and we came to an agreement that we had to record 20 minutes lunch and 10 min paid break. We get warned
if we don't record the whole 20 minutes. If we want I think we could record more lunch but we have to take at least 20 minutes. Recording the 20 min is a hot topic right now.

helenofcalifornia

Brown bomber, was there ever any issue about a one hour lunch? Or do you just work at a laid back center where no one ever checks up on you? There are daily reports of who took what lunch and for how long now that are reviewed by district personnel.

There used to be exceptions when you if you were having a hard time making all your business before pickups you could take a half, but not now. Everyone has to take one hour or else. What a pain.

browndevil

We have to take a mandatory one hour lunch now. No new news there. Our center manager said that the only way we could have the option of a half hour lunch is if we get together with the Union and they agree to it.

Is there any other center or hub that is allowed to take a half hour instead of the full hour? And how did you get it?

If a driver wants to take the full hour, fine. But I am antsy to hit the road after 20 minutes. And the last 40 minutes d...r...a...g.
H- We too have to take an hour lunch per center manager. He said it is a district edict. Not really a problem for me I like it. I read the WHOLE paper do the crossword puzzle and then stretch and do situps to pass the time. However if you read the contract, it states that a lunch should not be less than 30 mins and not more than 60 mins. The only stipulation is management can intruct you to only take 30 mins if there will be service failures. It doesn't say they can instruct you to take 60 mins. Some of our drivers are fighting it....so good luck and I will keep you posted of any changes:happy2:

helenofcalifornia

Thanks BD, I will revisit the contract and try that angle. With Daylight Savings Time starting in about three weeks, it will be better, but it's still too long for me.

(Love your different font!)

ladybrown

We are required to take 30 minutes. We can take 60 if we want. I usually only take 30 mins, unless I have something I need to do thats going to take longer than 30 minutes. We also have a 10 minute and 15 minutes paid break.

Helen, what district are you in? Up here in Eureka we've had to take an hour since the lawsuit against UPS. We are now in the East Bay district and we've heard trough the grapevine that the old East Bay dist. has been able to take a 1/2 hr since the lawsuit. We've greved this thing several times and lost every time. The union seems like they want us to take 1 hr lunch also which I don't understand why they would care.

SuperSup

I made the deal with my drivers that they could take 1/2 hour lunch (minimum), but with the stipulation that their SPORH would not drop, and on light days they must take more time (1 hour max) to fill gaps between del's and p/u's.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I made the deal with my drivers that they could take 1/2 hour lunch (minimum), but with the stipulation that their SPORH would not drop, and on light days they must take more time (1 hour max) to fill gaps between del's and p/u's.

May i ask what your contract says,

You say you mad the deal

Just curius what contract says?

backinbrown

respect my authority
wich is fine till it doesn't work for some reason then selective memory steps in

driver "my sup said i could take half lunch"

Sup to center manager I never said that

Driver to steward " they wrote me up half lunch"

Steward to driver " take your lunch dumb ***

SuperSup

May i ask what your contract says,

You say you mad the deal

Just curius what contract says?

Off the top of my head, I believe that the contract says drivers are entitled to an hour lunch, but must take a half hour minimum; Management has the right to enforce that drivers take anywhere between a half hour and an hour depending on the situation in each local. I could force the hour issue, but who does it really help out? If they want their full lunch, they take it. If not, great, get home to the family 30 minutes earlier, and get the p/u's back to the building earlier too. Win/Win

SuperSup

wich is fine till it doesn't work for some reason then selective memory steps in

driver "my sup said i could take half lunch"

Sup to center manager I never said that

Driver to steward " they wrote me up half lunch"

Steward to driver " take your lunch dumb :censored2:

Different strokes for different folks; you need to get extended. My center manager is 2 hours away, doesn't know the name of 3/4s of my drivers. I'm the only friend/t mgmt in the building, and I take care of the drivers and they take care of me. If a district mandate ever comes down insisting on a full hour lunch, I'd have to follow it, and my guys would understand. Open communication is the key.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Off the top of my head, I believe that the contract says drivers are entitled to an hour lunch, but must take a half hour minimum; Management has the right to enforce that drivers take anywhere between a half hour and an hour depending on the situation in each local. I could force the hour issue, but who does it really help out? If they want their full lunch, they take it. If not, great, get home to the family 30 minutes earlier, and get the p/u's back to the building earlier too. Win/Win

not that way here