California Supreme Court overturns ban on Gay marriage!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You used the words marriage and union as if they were the same word. They are not. And never have been.

If you want to have a union, with all the same legal rights as a married couple, no problem with that here. Do it legally.

BUt they dont want that. They want it to be called marriage, which until they started making their own rules, and terminologies, was not at all what marriage was designed or discribed to be.

And this behavior, "out of the closet and into the streets" in your face behavior is designed to agitate those that dont agree. ctivities that promote this type of response back.

As for us being a melting pot, in a way we used to be. Not any more. The minute we became afro, mex, latin, etc etc, we no longer were a melting pot. We dont care if they practice their religion here, we just dont want them to force theirs onto us. Respect ours like you want us to respect yours.

Like the same sex marriage. The issue is not that they dont have the same rights, its that they dont respect the sanctity of marriage and what it has meant over the years. So why should we respect what they are trying to do with it?

d

Channahon

I've had the pleasure of attending a commitment ceremony a few years back. Would my 2 friends prefer to be married? Never asked, they seemed happy to celebrate their union amongst friends and family and have been together ever since.

As controversial as this topic is, I believe marriage is a spiritual, religious experience, more so than a government legal issue. If the wasn't money involved with obtaining a marriage license, who knows if the state would care who got married or their sexual orientation.

Just my thoughts on states legalizing same sex marriages, although I really never did much research as to the pros and cons. I just read all of your posts, and quite interesting thoughts by all.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
From Merriam Webster:

1 a union representing a special kind of social and legal partnership between two people <some religions consider marriage a sacrament>

Claiming that "marriage" and "union" are two distinct concepts is just semantics, ultimately they mean the same thing to the people involved. Marriage neither began nor will it end with the christian religion, it's about people choosing to make a life together regardless of their religious beliefs (or the lack thereof).

Like I said earlier in this thread, the real answer is for government to get out of the marriage business. This whole debate arises from the fact that the government has allowed a religious ceremony to act as a gateway to secular benefits (insurance, tax status, property ownership, etc). The acts of (1)being married in a religious ceremony and (2)applying for the secular benefits of two co-joined individuals under the law should be completely separate, with neither being dependent on the other.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
gateway to secular benefits (insurance, tax status, property ownership, etc). The acts of (1)being married in a religious ceremony and (2)applying for the secular benefits of two co-joined individuals under the law should be completely separate, with neither being dependent on the other.
Agreed!

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Marriage:

1 a (1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage> b: the mutual relation of married persons
Websters definition.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ups has given same sex partners benefits. So now that solves a big problem, causes many more, but solves that one. The subject is not one I have any specific feeling on, other than I dont think it should be called marriage, I dont care what ya all do, just dont try to change what I have, into something everyone should have. Because you think what I have with a man, is the same as what you have with a same sex partner. It is not. It does not and never will produce the same results mine is capable of. Marriage is special, unique, and between a man and woman. Find a new name for your union, and we wont try to latch onto it, OK? sounds fair to me. You have what you want, we get to keep ours.
Sincerely,
Happily married woman in Ohio, to a man
Now isnt that oh so boring.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage

Added to websters when? And there in lies the point I am trying to make. Its not that they just want to be in a legally recognized union, they want to undermine what marriage has been in the past.

BTW, websters only reflects definitions as to the common usage of the people at the time. Including slang.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
BTW, websters only reflects definitions as to the common usage of the people at the time. Including slang.

d
And there in lies my point......if it is common usage then what is the problem? Why is it okay for you to deny some one else the joy and happiness that a life long marriage can bring?

ImpactedTSG

People are born gay,
If people are born gay, then how do same couples have children? Obviously adoption is the logical answer since if they are born gay they would not have been in a heterosexual relationship to have children in the past. So let's legalize gay marriage, but outlaw gay adoption. In about 40 years or two generations there will be no more gays being born. Problem solved.

UPS Lifer

Ups has given same sex partners benefits. So now that solves a big problem, causes many more, but solves that one. The subject is not one I have any specific feeling on, other than I dont think it should be called marriage, I dont care what ya all do, just dont try to change what I have, into something everyone should have. Because you think what I have with a man, is the same as what you have with a same sex partner. It is not. It does not and never will produce the same results mine is capable of. Marriage is special, unique, and between a man and woman. Find a new name for your union, and we wont try to latch onto it, OK? sounds fair to me. You have what you want, we get to keep ours.
Sincerely,
Happily married woman in Ohio, to a man
Now isnt that oh so boring.

Tooner,
I respect your opinion and understand it completely. I guess where I get upset is with the people who are "holier than thou"! This is no reflection on you! I am just using your post as a segway for my comments! Please do not take offense. Again, this is not aimed at you!

They speak of the sanctity of marriage yet some of these same people have disrespected this union by cheating on their spouse. I really am very neutral on the subject because it is not up to me to determine what your relationship is with another person.

Any gay marriage cannot make my marriage any less or more meaningful than it was before the California decision. My marriage is between me, my spouse and my God.

"Sticks & stones will break my bones......!" This is not for Tooner but anyone who cannot grasp that it is only the Almighty that can judge what marriage is. No man (or woman) has the right to sit in judgement of any couple's relationship.

I feel very secure in my skin about my marriage and it's sanctity. I know gay and lesbian folks who probably have a better relationship than most heterosexual couples and who also make better parents than most.

So, I will differ any further argument on this subject to those who feel they are better than another human being because they are not gay and more religious and a better parent than the next person. After all, this is what righteous indignation is all about!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not agreeing with the term gay marriage is not rightous indignation, it is responding to the forcing of the lifestyle upon the public in general.

When was the last time you felt the urge or need to publicly anounce your sexual orientation and make a huge deal of it in the public forum? When did you feel the need to publicly force the concept of changing norms to fit your lifestyle. When did you ever force the normalization of something abnormal.

And when the heck did religion start supporting the gay movement? So how can someone whos behavior is condemned by the bible, assume the mantle of being religious?

The only reason that the dictionary has included the gay marriage reference is that they are too afraid of not being politically correct. Something that is afflicting this country severely. So instead of staying with definitions that have been that way for centuries, we will bow to activists and include what they want these words to mean.

That goes back to the school question now being taught. 2+2, well what do you want the answer to be? Brown? Correct, the answer to 2+2 is brown. What a wonderfully bright and creative child you are. And now, since the inmates are in charge of the assylum, is it no wonder that our educational level has sunk to new levels, our morality sucks, there are no absolutes, and no one wants to take a stand on issues. Hell, I might hurt your feelings if I take a stand.

Sorry, I dont have that problem. You believe what you wish to believe, but dont force your new viewpoints on me, just because you want to create a new society with new morality. A morality where nothing is wrong, everything is what you want it to be.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont have a problem and I am not denying anyone happiness. I wish everyone was happy. I just think it should be called something else. But I dont have much say in it. Its my stand that you can do whatever you wish, I dont judge anyone. Just make it unique for you and yours. And let it be as important as a marriage, just find a new term. The battle is over, the minority is winning. And actually Im at the point that there are so many more important things going on in the world it is a non issue. No offense, not offended, and probaly done with the subject.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Danny, I don't see anyone in here forcing you to read this or forcing their viewpoints or beliefs on you. I, for one, never meant to offend you or anyone else. I believe what I believe. I believe that everyone has the right to live their lives as they see fit, as long as they are not hurting anyone else. A person being 'married' to a same sex partner does not hurt anyone else. It may (I will give you this) offend your sense of morality. Does spanking a child as a disciplinary method offend your sense of morality? Does killing an animal in the name of food offend your sense of morality? All of these things have been around since the birth of man. Yes, even gay and lesbian relationships have been known since Victorian Times.

In an earlier post you said that it didn't bother you as long as it is not forced upon you. In this last post you said "........it is responding to forcing of the lifestyle on the public in general". It seems to me that you are taking it upon yourself to protect the public from this (I don't know what words to use) evil plague(?). I truly do not mean to piss you off or offend you any further than you seem to already have been, but you cannot protect the whole world. You have to let some of us take care of ourselves.

Quoting you again "........and no one wants to take a stand on issues." Obviously someone was willing to take a stand on an issue that was important to him/her or we wouldn't be having this debate. Why is that wrong? There are never any absolutes Danny, never. Everyday life changes. I pray that I learn something new every day. I am grateful for learning something new because that gives me the chance to expand my horizons, to improve myself, to be grateful for having had the experience. I am thankful for having had the opportunity to speak with you. I understand that you feel this 'gay marriage' law is wrong and I respect you for that feeling (I absolutely include Tooner and everyone else). I don't agree with you.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I don't agree with you.

The punishment for disagreeing with Dannyboy is firing squad at 6:15 AM EST. :devil3:

Thats fine, agree, disagree, that is what makes the world go round.

As far as differences go, there are many. And my time is short.

Maybe some other time.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have to change one thing about absolutes. There are 2 absolutes. 1. You will die, eventually. 2. You will pay taxes, when you get caught.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The punishment for disagreeing with Dannyboy is firing squad at 6:15 AM EST. :devil3:

Thats fine, agree, disagree, that is what makes the world go round.

As far as differences go, there are many. And my time is short.

Maybe some other time.

d
Do I get one last request first?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Why not, since you have a very short time!

And by the way, there are a bunch of others you didnt mention. Like if you trip, which way do you fall, up or down? And I can think of thousands of absolutes. Always have been, always will be. No matter what any one says, or how they want them not to be.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
LOL You are so funny!!!!!!!!! I have enjoyed talking with you and as my last request I want the oppurtunity to meet and talk with you in person.:please:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
We can do that on the cruise ship when we take the Brown Cafe Caribean cruise. They will paint the ship brown just for that one cruise. And to make you feel right at home, only brown wear will be allowed, food will be catered by Mcdonals, BK and hardees so that you get your daily dose of comfort food. And of course each day, the intercom will let you know you are two hours behind where you really need to be.

Of course that is if you somehow manage to survive the squad in the AM!

d