Call in question

Theichii

I covered another drivers route today with around an 8.8 day and finished at around 3:30. I sent them a message saying i finished work and would be in at 4:15. They sent me a message saying that i needed to help another driver with some stops. I told them i could not because i had some other things to do, so i got back to the building and my on road told me he would call if the other driver still needed help, to which i replied i have something i need to take care of that will take a couple of hours. So around 6:30 he calls and says he needs me to come in. Under our supplement it says if we complete a full day and leave the property and are called back, we are guaranteed 4 hours of OT. Would this count as falling under that article because i punched out and left and came back or not because i had some idea that they *might* call me back in?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I would say probably not, I am not certain though. We do not have this language in our supplement.

Not sure I would even try to fight it though, sounds like they were more than accommodating in your requests to take care of your personal business. they could have easily said, we don't care, go work until the cows come home!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would you get 4 hours of OT when you did not even work 8 hours before you left? I would think that the hours would be put together and you would get OT for any hours over 8. In hindsight, do you think it would have just been easier to have stayed, helped the other driver out, and then take care of your personal business?

UPSGUY72

I covered another drivers route today with around an 8.8 day and finished at around 3:30. I sent them a message saying i finished work and would be in at 4:15. They sent me a message saying that i needed to help another driver with some stops. I told them i could not because i had some other things to do, so i got back to the building and my on road told me he would call if the other driver still needed help, to which i replied i have something i need to take care of that will take a couple of hours. So around 6:30 he calls and says he needs me to come in. Under our supplement it says if we complete a full day and leave the property and are called back, we are guaranteed 4 hours of OT. Would this count as falling under that article because i punched out and left and came back or not because i had some idea that they *might* call me back in?

You did an 8.8 day in less than 7, called in and refused the work that they gave you to complete your 8 hrs and you think your entitled to 4 hrs of OT. Next time you need to take care of something in the middle of the day just take the day off and stop running and gunning.

over9five

Staff member
Why would you even send a message saying you're done if you're going to refuse work anyhow? You should have just returned to building and done a "stealth punch out".

Why do you want to grieve? I can't believe they let you refuse work, you're lucky to have a management team willing to help you take care of your personal business on their time.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Why did you answer your phone?

Im confused, if you punched out and left the building why in the world would you come back?

Why would you even send a message saying you're done if you're going to refuse work anyhow? You should have just returned to building and done a "stealth punch out".

Why do you want to grieve? I can't believe they let you refuse work, you're lucky to have a management team willing to help you take care of your personal business on their time.
You're lucky to have a job. Aren't you the guy that needed time off to fly to Hawaii to get married or propose? You'd better start slowing it down, my friend, you're far from the light at the end of the tunnel.

freecarry88

If I were you supervisor I would feel like I was taken advantage of if you filed on this. If I did feel this way, I don't think I would do it again for anyone else. I am glad to see all of the comments that others have written.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Why would you even send a message saying you're done if you're going to refuse work anyhow? You should have just returned to building and done a "stealth punch out".]

I love the James Bond punch out , coast into yard, leave pkg car by the gas pumps , sneak in threw the customer counter, punch out, run like hell and act you don't see the sup running at you as you leave the yard.

Re-Raise

Are there only 2 drivers in your building? What happened to every driver that came in between the time you left at 4:15 until they called you back at 6:30? Did they all have other business to take care of?

At our center if they ask more than 1 driver and no one wants to, they force the lower seniority driver back out.

CRASH501

Sorry but if im not mistaken , unless you are informed at dispatch that YOU ARE ON CALL if you scratch , finish under 8 its cut and dry . Have a nice day and enjoy your 8 and skate ! Unless you are told at dispatch they can not force you to stay , just complete your load and go , but assume that you will be told in the future that you will be on call

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sorry but if im not mistaken , unless you are informed at dispatch that YOU ARE ON CALL if you scratch , finish under 8 its cut and dry . Have a nice day and enjoy your 8 and skate ! Unless you are told at dispatch they can not force you to stay , just complete your load and go , but assume that you will be told in the future that you will be on call
What happens when you get back and the supe says you need to go help so and so, right now?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If you're still on the clock, they own you. Work as directed.

If you were fast, and punched out before he told you that, tell him to have a good night and go home!
I don't know about that, 9/5. If you're still under 8 you may have a hard time leaving, unless some junior guy shows up in the nick of time, poor guy. LOL

Theichii

his route is easy as pie, the regular driver even finishes at 415-430 every day and that's going home at the beginning of the day to take his lunch, i just normally take a nap somewhere.And they didn't tell me that someone needed help till i was at the selection screen of "do you want to punch out" on the diad.