Call Your Supervisor if over 9.5

srvhero

"leastbest"
We are now required to CALL our supervisor if we feel we will be over 9.5. A message sent via diad is not accepted. They only do this to intimidate, hoping drivers only take a partial lunch. Are all operations this micromanaged on a daily basis. And......when are we getting company phones to make these calls?

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Tell them I have to break route to get to a pay phone to call you, I am not using my cell phone to call a sup. for something I can do with the DIAD.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We been doing this as well, have to call the center manager on his cell phone. He always asks whats the problem, why can't you get it done. I always answer, you dispatched me with too much work and hang up the phone.

browndevil

We are now required to CALL our supervisor if we feel we will be over 9.5. A message sent via diad is not accepted. They only do this to intimidate, hoping drivers only take a partial lunch. Are all operations this micromanaged on a daily basis. And......when are we getting company phones to make these calls?
Are they now supplying you with a cell phone? A message through the DIAD should suffice. That is the only communication device UPS has in service. Is your center using EDD? If so, they can sit at a computer and watch all the routes with a 15 minute delay. Imagine that an 80,000 a year sup sitting at the computer all day watching our progress. And they say we drivers are overpaid

outta hours

The DIAD is the only method of company communication. No matter what you are told. If you use your personal phone you for company business you are a fool. Your customers phones are not for UPS business either. The line has been skewed by drivers using their phones for company business. Calling customers, pickups, other drivers for misloads, texting supervisors, etc. Now it is expected. Grow a pair and stop doing it. It can't be any simpler than that.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't call or send a message. They know exactly how much work they send me out with, and they can check on the computer anytime during the day to see how much I have delivered and how much I have left. They are in complete control of my day. Before I roll out in the morning I ask the dispatch sup how many hours he has me scheduled to work. If they ask me the next day what happened out there and why was I over 9.5, I say "Huh, I was just about to ask you the same thing".

Jim Kemp

We get the same message everyday. I don't, and no other driver that I know, ever call and nothing is ever said. On the times I do need to call(never for over 9.5) I go to a resturant and call on their phone and lunch starts as soon as I hang up.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I send in a message at 1300 if i am going to be over 9.5 . If they try to get me on not calling the center I inform them i tried but the 2 center lines were busy.

Cementups

Box Monkey
They want you to call cause usually after 2 or 3 p.m. your sup is usually already at home enjoying time with his family and won't get your DIAD sent message.

UPSGUY72

I don't call or send a message. They know exactly how much work they send me out with, and they can check on the computer anytime during the day to see how much I have delivered and how much I have left. They are in complete control of my day. Before I roll out in the morning I ask the dispatch sup how many hours he has me scheduled to work. If they ask me the next day what happened out there and why was I over 9.5, I say "Huh, I was just about to ask you the same thing".

+1

I never call either they know exactly where I'm at and where I'm going at any given time. I take my full lunch and breaks and return to the building in time to make the air trailer whether or not I have packages left to deliver.

talkwith

Ditto. We hear it in the PCM and we receive Diad messages to the same effect:"No over 9.5s. No Exceptions!". When you call you get the third degree as if you dispatched yourself with too much work. Ever since IT arbitrarily raised our SPC by 11 stops our dispatch is almost always heavy and someone is always over 9.5. All this is done in the name of cutting costs (which it doesn't do) because we are in a money crunch even though our stock price doubled and we have made record profits since the recession started. As the stock price increases you will see more of this corner cutting because it is no longer about serving the customer or taking care of employees (including management whom I sympathize with ) it is about the stock price. Sorry for the rant. It isn't 500pm yet so I can't drown my sorrows.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In the old days the other drivers and I would always call the center collect:happy-very:
the center manager just loved us!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you are being told to call if you "think" you are going to be over 9.5----then just stop thinking altogether and there wont be a problem. Hey, it seems to work for management!