Called in and harassed question

blkmamba

Not unless your sup is also a doctor.....we are not required to discuss the symptoms of our "illness" when calling off. Saying you taking a sick day and will not be coming in is all they need to know.

I don't disagree, I just don't think it shows a lack of respect when they ask what is wrong. I'm not saying you have to answer them but filing a grievance for that seems stupid to me.

L

Lizzzow

I am curious as it has never really been explained to me. Where do u find the proper guidelines about calling in sick? I've heard the at least 1 hr before statement. Also heard the 5 sick days a year statement. Is this in the master or supp agreement? I just ask because management have their own skewed ideas of how things "should" go, and wanted to know what my union rights said. Thanks for your input.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I just wonder if call offs have increased due to the insane dispatches we face. It used to be you could figure some days would be lighter than others and instead of calling in you could tough it out. Now with every day being a 10.5 to 11 hour day it makes more sense to do the call that does it all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am curious as it has never really been explained to me. Where do u find the proper guidelines about calling in sick? I've heard the at least 1 hr before statement. Also heard the 5 sick days a year statement. Is this in the master or supp agreement? I just ask because management have their own skewed ideas of how things "should" go, and wanted to know what my union rights said. Thanks for your input.

If you are going to call in sick you must do it no later than one hour before your shift starts. The number of personal and sick days varies by region----we get 4 and 5, respectively, in my area----and you may or may not be able to use them interchangeably. Running out of days does not mean you cannot call in----you just won't get paid for them and mgt may give you a harder time if you are out of days.

Indecisi0n

I just wonder if call offs have increased due to the insane dispatches we face. It used to be you could figure some days would be lighter than others and instead of calling in you could tough it out. Now with every day being a 10.5 to 11 hour day it makes more sense to do the call that does it all.
Your body is already spent from working all these hours so even the slightest cold I'm calling out. I use to tough it out like you said but it's just not worth it anymore.

PT Car Washer

I agree you should call in sick at least one hour before start, but if you become ill on the way in it would be better to call then risk driving a commercial vehicle when you are in no condition to. Things do happen that no one has control over.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I hadn't missed a day for the first 17 years then one day I screwed my back up and went out on comp. My center manager called me at home and told me to get my ass back to work because he knew I was faking it. You can't make this stuff up. What a nice company to work for.

Had a guy go out because of his knee. He had to have it rebuilt, which would take over 6 months to heal. Nonetheless, due to the working enviroment of UPS that caused it. During his off time, he started to get calls from HR, and they werent very nice. They were harassment calls to him.

Stating as such " why are you laying about, you need to get back to work " or " what type of father are you to your children, and not working? ". Seriously, you cant make this stuff up. And each time he asked the persons name, they never gave it.

I agree, this company is nutters.

C

chuchu

If you are going to call in sick you must do it no later than one hour before your shift starts. The number of personal and sick days varies by region----we get 4 and 5, respectively, in my area----and you may or may not be able to use them interchangeably. Running out of days does not mean you cannot call in----you just won't get paid for them and mgt may give you a harder time if you are out of days.
Not here. You call by scheduled start time.
It's best to call at least an hr before start time but not required.
Calling in in time for them to get another employee to cover your work area is not only respectful but lowers their blood pressure when they decide whether to dig into your attendance record or not.
Put them in a corner and that could create a payback. Sometimes it can't be helped.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not here. You call by scheduled start time.
It's best to call at least an hr before start time but not required.
Calling in in time for them to get another employee to cover your work area is not only respectful but lowers their blood pressure when they decide whether to dig into your attendance record or not.
Put them in a corner and that could create a payback. Sometimes it can't be helped.

So you can call 1 minute before the PCM to let them know that you won't be there? How in the hell are they supposed to work with or around that?

I don't know if it's in the master, supplement or if it is just a local operating procedure, but we have to call at least one hour before our scheduled start time. This gives them time to cover for you. Calling in one minute before start time leaves them high and dry.

C

chuchu

So you can call 1 minute before the PCM to let them know that you won't be there? How in the hell are they supposed to work with or around that?

I don't know if it's in the master, supplement or if it is just a local operating procedure, but we have to call at least one hour before our scheduled start time. This gives them time to cover for you. Calling in one minute before start time leaves them high and dry.
Reread the post before you rip your garter.

C

chuchu

If an employee has two no call no shows and FAILS TO CALL IN BY HIS/HER START TIME on the third day that employee's seniority is considered broken.
The drop dead deadline is BY START TIME here. I said it wasn't respectful or wise to call past an hour prior to your scheduled start time but the mar is "by start time". Any option outside of that here is not enforceable.

C

chuchu

You're right----I don't know for sure----but I do know that I have always been told of and abided by the NLT 1 hour prior "rule".
Sure. Could be...in your region. I can't imagine not calling in at least an hr ahead of start time if you can. No matter where you work, it's the right thing to do even if you're not required.
But HERE, in our center its not a local rule. It's common sense.