Called on your day off

Purplepackage

Is a manager technically allowed to call you on your day off? There is no communication between my am and pm station manager and at least once a week I'll get a call or text saying "hey you were supposed to be on the schedule today can you come in?"

Now at first I would say yeah sure but now that's its happening almost every week and if I'm scheduled off 3 days that week I might get a call saying hey you were supposed to be schedule the rest of the week is that okay.

I've basically started shutting my phone off because if I'm not scheduled I guess you'll just have to pay me the minimum and learn how to make a schedule

dezguy

Operational needs my friend. A manager can call you pretty much whenever they want but it doesn't mean you have to go in. A scheduled day off is a scheduled day off whether they made a mistake or not.

In my province, they have to give you 36 hours notice if they are going to change your schedule. After that, too bad for them. Not your fault they can't schedule properly.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Is a manager technically allowed to call you on your day off? There is no communication between my am and pm station manager and at least once a week I'll get a call or text saying "hey you were supposed to be on the schedule today can you come in?"

Now at first I would say yeah sure but now that's its happening almost every week and if I'm scheduled off 3 days that week I might get a call saying hey you were supposed to be schedule the rest of the week is that okay.

I've basically started shutting my phone off because if I'm not scheduled I guess you'll just have to pay me the minimum and learn how to make a schedule

If it is your scheduled day off, you don't have to go in. You are not an on call employee. They can call you all they want. You don't have to answer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Sounds like they're a couple of clowns, and their failures aren't your issue. You are under no obligation to come-in on your day off. My advice is to simply not answer the phone, but if you do answer, just tell them you have pre-planned appointments and obligations.

MAKAVELI

Sounds like they're a couple of clowns, and their failures aren't your issue. You are under no obligation to come-in on your day off. My advice is to simply not answer the phone, but if you do answer, just tell them you have pre-planned appointments and obligations.
You can always tell them you can't drive because you are inebriated.:D

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Agree with the above. I always say 'Sure!, just let me kill the rest of my Jack 'n Coke an I'll be right in!'...that way it looks like I was willing to be helpful.

overflowed

Agree with the above. I always say 'Sure!, just let me kill the rest of my Jack 'n Coke an I'll be right in!'...that way it looks like I was willing to be helpful.
This right here. I say "Oh :censored2:, I just had a beer." See how fast they hang up on you.

dezguy

Why do you need an explanation for them? They call you up to see if you want to work, you say no. It's none of their damn business why you don't want to come into work.

vantexan

Why do you need an explanation for them? They call you up to see if you want to work, you say no. It's none of their damn business why you don't want to come into work.
Years ago I was going to the dentist on my day off to have a tooth pulled. Mgr calls me and asks me to come in. I tell him I'm about to get a tooth pulled. He actually asked me if I could come in right after!

Artee

We had a guy take that the step further. He never said he had been drinking. Was called at home and came in with a buzz on. You could smell it on him. He should have known better as he was a 30 year employee at that time. Had to send him home rather than put him out in a CTV.

pkg4me

If a manager forces you to take LWOP days, but then someone calls in sick. Can you say no to coming in also or is it mandatory. I'm part-time if that matters.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I guess cause I'm part time and lowest on seniority so if there is LWOP to take and no one else takes it he automatically schedules me off so he can make sure full time has enough hours.

Okay, that's different. Lowest seniority or not, make sure you get your 17.5 hours. You are guaranteed that. If they schedule you off, do NOT answer your phone. If you're off, you're off. If they try to not give you your guarantee, tell your manager you will be calling HR.

If you bend over and take it, management WILL dish it. Stand up for yourself and they'll move on to the next sucker.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If you are called in on your scheduled day off, make sure you are getting ot for all hours worked that day.

He wouldn't be entitled to it in the scenario he presented. You only get "day off" OT starting on your 6th day of work (5th if you're a 4X10 employee).

MAKAVELI

He wouldn't be entitled to it in the scenario he presented. You only get "day off" OT starting on your 6th day of work (5th if you're a 4X10 employee).
All the more reason to not come in. It's not the op problem the manager doesn't know how to make a schedule.