Called the cops on a customer yesterday....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
And that does happen where they get aggressive during the rut, can't go inside the pen during that time, they actually charge.
Which is why virtually all male livestock animals are neutered. If someone is going to keep a buck deer in a pen to raise for meat, they should have the buck neutered too. Or better yet, raise goats instead. Goats have been bred for centuries to be domesticated animals. Deer haven't.

rod

Retired 22 years
Which is why virtually all male livestock animals are neutered. If someone is going to keep a buck deer in a pen to raise for meat, they should have the buck neutered too. Or better yet, raise goats instead. Goats have been bred for centuries to be domesticated animals. Deer haven't.

Most people around here that raise bucks do so for the antlers. A big buck with a monster rack goes for BIG money to the game farms who in turn breed other bucks with large racks.

newfie

They weren't home, or I would have.

I'm just thinking it does not seem like they were being malicious just not thinking. It seems like maybe they were trying to give what they thought was a homeless deer a home. I realize the law is the law but it seems a little harsh calling the law on them without trying to educate them first? I know I would have appreciated your giving me an education rather then calling the law and getting me fined.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
only thing i'm debating with you is calling the cops
I called the Department of Fish and Wildlife, not the cops. They forwarded the matter to the State Police, who deal with issues of enforcement.

FWIW, the people are probably not going to get in any real trouble. ODFW prefers to go after poachers and other criminals, not people who feed cute baby deer. There is little to be gained by prosecuting people for what they honestly believe is an act of kindness. What is typically done in cases like this is that the people are educated about the law, given a warning, and the deer is taken away to be released in the wild or otherwise humanely dealt with. The woman I talked about in an earlier post who was feeding the bears was given multiple warnings and small fines before actually being prosecuted in the aftermath of the incident where her neighbor had to shoot one of the bears.

rod

Retired 22 years
I called the Department of Fish and Wildlife, not the cops. They forwarded the matter to the State Police, who deal with issues of enforcement.

FWIW, the people are probably not going to get in any real trouble. ODFW prefers to go after poachers and other criminals, not people who feed cute baby deer. There is little to be gained by prosecuting people for what they honestly believe is an act of kindness. What is typically done in cases like this is that the people are educated about the law, given a warning, and the deer is taken away to be released in the wild or otherwise humanely dealt with. The woman I talked about in an earlier post who was feeding the bears was given multiple warnings and small fines before actually being prosecuted in the aftermath of the incident where her neighbor had to shoot one of the bears.

We had a 400 lb black bear hit by a car in my area last night. It had been terrorizing all the bird feeders in a large area for the last few years---mine included. One down ---- 20 to go. Bears have become a real problem around here. No one hunts them anymore.

newfie

Ok that sounds good but probably or typically does not mean that is what will happen. I've seen some good hearted people get screwed over by some busy body calling the police on them. Sounds like you've thought it through.

oldngray

nowhere special
We had a 400 lb black bear hit by a car in my area last night. It had been terrorizing all the bird feeders in a large area for the last few years---mine included. One down ---- 20 to go. Bears have become a real problem around here. No one hunts them anymore.

BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP) — A college party got a little wilder than expected when a black bear showed up.

Authorities say the bear crashed the party early Saturday near the campus of Lehigh University, about 50 miles north of Philadelphia.

Emergency officials received a flood of 911 calls after the 300- to 400-pound black bear was seen in south Bethlehem.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...the-living-daylights-out-of-college-revelers/

oldngray

nowhere special
Ok that sounds good but probably or typically does not mean that is what will happen. I've seen some good hearted people get screwed over by some busy body calling the police on them. Sounds like you've thought it through.

Calling the cops about animal abuse is one thing but some people are far too interested in other people's affairs and will do things like call about kids playing alone in their own back yard.

rod

Retired 22 years

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
There was a time when Catholic Knight's raped and burned and ate other humans too.. Dumb comparison flawed logic.. Kill.. Torture.. .Eat whatever you want. Don't care.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My solution:
th