Calling All Stewards!!!

stink219

How have you been getting the information to your people? We are prepping for a parking lot meeting this week to inform people on the status of the contract. Just trying to find what others have been doing and if it was successful in spreading the word.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've spread the word to as many as I can. I'm not a steward. I haven't heard a word from our stewards.

Finally asked one straight up today. He told me there is a meeting this Saturday 2 hours away ugh.

Just give me the info and let me choose what to do with that info.

UPS Preloader

How have you been getting the information to your people? We are prepping for a parking lot meeting this week to inform people on the status of the contract. Just trying to find what others have been doing and if it was successful in spreading the word.

Just curious as to what you plan on telling them. At this point, nothing is set in stone and nothing has been finalized. I've kept them all in the loop, but the last thing I want them thinking at this point is "Strike". Don't get me wrong, if the time comes to stike I'll be there and so won't others in my building, but in the court of public opinion if we keep talking stike we are going to look to like the bad guys. Just in case it gets to that point, we need to be perceived as the ones negotiating in good faith. Perception is reality!

rudy5150

"in the court of public opinion if we keep talking strike we are going to look like the bad guys."

Interesting take, i dont buy it though! A company making record profits in a slow economy wants an early contract agreement and also wants its workface to take a paycut! How the heck would we look like the bad guys?

stink219

Just curious as to what you plan on telling them. At this point, nothing is set in stone and nothing has been finalized. I've kept them all in the loop, but the last thing I want them thinking at this point is "Strike". Don't get me wrong, if the time comes to stike I'll be there and so won't others in my building, but in the court of public opinion if we keep talking stike we are going to look to like the bad guys. Just in case it gets to that point, we need to be perceived as the ones negotiating in good faith. Perception is reality!
Who said strike? What lead you to that perception? At first, everyone thought that there was a "brown out" because the negations were slow . Now we have some stuff settled on and people need to know where we are at. But with that being said, there is an issue of peoples health care on the table. We are not talking about calling up radio stations and TV. This is for our people only. Just look on this site alone, the amount of speculation is crazy. I'm not going to detail the issues on here but I will tell you that "STRIKE" will not come out of any of our mouths.

UPS Preloader

Who said strike? What lead you to that perception? At first, everyone thought that there was a "brown out" because the negations were slow . Now we have some stuff settled on and people need to know where we are at. But with that being said, there is an issue of peoples health care on the table. We are not talking about calling up radio stations and TV. This is for our people only. Just look on this site alone, the amount of speculation is crazy. I'm not going to detail the issues on here but I will tell you that "STRIKE" will not come out of any of our mouths.

I wasn't referring to you when I mentioned the word stike. It just seems like every other thread is discussing it. Can you fill me in as to what issues they have settled on?

Last edited:

stink219

I hear that!! I was day drinking yesterday and posted so crazy stuff on here. It happens. We are truck drivers, let's not forget. Lol

norcal10

We haven't heard anything here. Our backup steward told me about the part timers paying 100$ for health care and said it didn't look good. Primary steward hasn't said a thing and doubt he cares

Notretiredyet

Relax, we have 5 months to go before the contract expires. If things really start to go bad the international will authorize a strike vote, to use as a bargaining tool. As far as the OP goes I tell anyone who approaches me and asks about the contract everything I've heard.

brown_trousers

I wasn't referring to you when I mentioned the word stike. It just seems like every other thread is discussing it. Can you fill me in as to what issues they have settled on?

Nothing has been settled, nor will it be until we vote on it. But if we wait until then, it may be too late to spread the information and gather support. All we know at this point is what direction UPS wants to go with these negotiations. They have set precedence that they are gunning for our healthcare and are pushing for little to no wage improvements from our last contract, which was a very weak one itself.

The threat of a strike is the only real bargaining chip we have. WIthout that threat, UPS could do whatever they want with our wages and benefits. It is my opinion, that with a real threat of strike, UPS will be more willing to negotiate. If you take that threat off the table..... then what do they have to lose by sticking with their original offer?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Nothing has been settled, nor will it be until we vote on it. But if we wait until then, it may be too late to spread the information and gather support. All we know at this point is what direction UPS wants to go with these negotiations. They have set precedence that they are gunning for our healthcare and are pushing for little to no wage improvements from our last contract, which was a very weak one itself.

The threat of a strike is the only real bargaining chip we have. WIthout that threat, UPS could do whatever they want with our wages and benefits. It is my opinion, that with a real threat of strike, UPS will be more willing to negotiate. If you take that threat off the table..... then what do they have to lose by sticking with their original offer?

So are we talking the same type of raises as the last contract? Or are we talking little to no raises at all.

barnyard

KTM rider
There is a steward's meeting on March 3. I am going to ask my steward if I can ride with or attend on my own. I know that he is attending. I would like to know the real deal, not rumors.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Parking Lot meetings make management nervous,suspicious and up tight so I hold them right under the center manager's window. I have pused the healthcare agenda and encoraged my people if asked by management to tell them Hitler will be passing out ice skates before we'd pay a dime for our benefits

brown_trousers

So are we talking the same type of raises as the last contract? Or are we talking little to no raises at all.

Proposing the idea of us paying for healthcare is their method of setting the negotiations very low, so that when we negotiate up from there we will be "compromising" in the middle for low wage increases and paying a smaller portion of our healthcare.

Its kind of like when a car salesman pitches you a really high starting price then "compromises" a little down from there. That way you feel good about an overinflated car price because you got to talk him down a little.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
We as stewards need to talk it up get a ground swell of negativity against this stupid offer. The company has to know now it will not fly. We need to get it off the table no compromise. If they think we will wait they will come back with something less costly but pick our pockets never the less and we will have to vote. Now is the time to say NO. The message has to be loud a clear and today do not delay .Their tactic is we will wait until the union has to bring us a less than good offer to vote on.Tell your sup and or manager the UPS offer sucks and you will not have it.

brown_trousers

We as stewards need to talk it up get a ground swell of negativity against this stupid offer. The company has to know now it will not fly. We need to get it off the table no compromise. If they think we will wait they will come back with something less costly but pick our pockets never the less and we will have to vote. Now is the time to say NO. The message has to be loud a clear and today do not delay .Their tactic is we will wait until the union has to bring us a less than good offer to vote on.Tell your sup and or manager the UPS offer sucks and you will not have it.

I agree.. there are a few people on this forum that believe we should just stay quiet and wait to speak up until things are more finalized, I believe that to be a horrible idea. We will find ourselves having to vote down a contract at the last minute. We need to make sure that by the time a contract gets to a vote, it is a contract worth voting for!

Lets make a clear message to both UPS and the Teamsters to not even waste their time negotiating, if it is going to offer concessions in health care and raises. We should let them know now that we WILL strike if we see these things in a contract!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I spoke to a driver I know who was returning to the hub @ 6 and he told me the steward in his center has not even talked it up with his drivers about the company's BS offer not a word I know the local has sent out the IBT talking points for stewards in the mail and the BA has contacted most of the guys by phone .WTF . This is big time serious now is the time to let them know we want our due not the give backs they want. This is no time to relax.Stewards need to talk about this every day.