Calling All Stewards!!!

InsideUPS

Just curious as to what you plan on telling them. At this point, nothing is set in stone and nothing has been finalized. I've kept them all in the loop, but the last thing I want them thinking at this point is "Strike". Don't get me wrong, if the time comes to stike I'll be there and so won't others in my building, but in the court of public opinion if we keep talking stike we are going to look to like the bad guys. Just in case it gets to that point, we need to be perceived as the ones negotiating in good faith. Perception is reality!

At first.....I was also concerned about the "court of public opinion"....however, if you really think about it, UPS is setting themselves up for the same criticism they received from the public during the 1997 strike:

How will the public feel if it is publicized that for over 50% of our work force is part-time and receives the following:

1) $8.50/hour ($0.50 less than the proposed minimum wage) ($7,735 Gross per year) - ($4320 for insurance) = $3415 /year
2) NO family Benefits for 18 months
3) $90.00 per week for family benefits after 1.5 years with increases of 10% each year of the contract. ($4,320 per year first year)
4) Only guaranteed 17.5 hours per week
5) Handles packages up to 150 lbs.
6) Works in cold/hot trailers, dusty conditions,

Not to mention all the deception that took place regarding the creation of the 22.3 jobs and sub-contracting of our work to the USPS...

All while our CEO Scott Davis receives his $13,000,000 per year while working in the Atalanta Palace with adequate heat, light, etc..

I REALLY think we need to put a UNION PR video together and highlight the above to the public. Done correctly, UPS will be the "Poster Child" for Greedy Corporate America......

InsideUPS

How have you been getting the information to your people? We are prepping for a parking lot meeting this week to inform people on the status of the contract. Just trying to find what others have been doing and if it was successful in spreading the word.

Most of the employees in my building are too complacent at this time for my liking. I believe it is EXTREMELY important to get them motivated NOW... Management needs to know and hear that WE are NOT going to consider ANY concessions in this contract. Believe me....anything and everything we can do NOW will be to our benefit later.

I believe that this is a pivotal time for us and our Union. UPS has been for this time since 1997. Technology, additional and alternative logistics, workforce reductions, etc..all have been building up for this time. Down the road...I've been thinking about buying all the part-timers some T=shirts..... : )

images.jpg
images.jpg

brown_trousers

Here is the petition to be signed and sent back to the IBT

View attachment 8467

Its not that I dont support the cause. But this is already a complicated enough situation we have on the small package side, lets not make it even harder to solve these issues by negotiating freight into our contract as well. We have too many problems to solve on the small package side before we start shifting our focus over to freight.

And besides... we should at least give UPS freight employees a chance to negotiate a good contract for themselves before we step in.