calling in ? for 9.5

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
All management needs to to for the guys on the 9.5 list is to give them less then 9.5 hours of work. You could tell your boss right to his face "keep me under 110 stops every day and I'll never file again" and the next day you would have 120 and the boss would be harassing you to get it in by 9.5. Every problem this company has is created by it's own management.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Dragon, suppose you left work early to go watch your son's baseball game---would you really want drivers to call you on your personal cell phone to deal with work-related issues while you are watching the game?

Upstate I have been told I am never off except when I am on vacation...thats another story.

Once again, the driver did not know until 630pm he would have missed pieces?? SERIOUSLY!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wait a minute, wait a minute. How long have you been driving? You waited till 630pm to tell someone you would have missed pieces...you did not know that at 430pm, 200pm!! I would have given you a second warning letter for the missed pcs. Get your act together please!

Re-read the OP. He originally called in at 4:00 to inform them that he was having issues, and when he called back at 6:30 his "management team" had already gone home at night.

Standard operational procedure these days is to knowingly and intentionally shove hopeless dispatches out the door in order to cut enough routes out to look good on a report, and then try to find a way to blame the driver for the resulting problems. His "management team" intentionally set him up to fail, and then by 6:30 when the wheels were coming off and the sparks started flying they were already gone for the day. Rather than own any responsibility for their part in implementing a "plan to fail", they simply issue a warning letter in order to maintain the illusion that they are trying to do something about the problem. Thats logistics.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Re-read the OP. He originally called in at 4:00 to inform them that he was having issues, and when he called back at 6:30 his "management team" had already gone home at night.

Standard operational procedure these days is to knowingly and intentionally shove hopeless dispatches out the door in order to cut enough routes out to look good on a report, and then try to find a way to blame the driver for the resulting problems. His "management team" intentionally set him up to fail, and then by 6:30 when the wheels were coming off and the sparks started flying they were already gone for the day. Rather than own any responsibility for their part in implementing a "plan to fail", they simply issue a warning letter in order to maintain the illusion that they are trying to do something about the problem. Thats logistics.

Please re-read the post he said "Well i called in at 4pm and said i wasn't going to make 9.5" not one statement about missing pieces. That call came at 630pm..

over9five

Staff member
Please re-read the post he said "Well i called in at 4pm and said i wasn't going to make 9.5" not one statement about missing pieces. That call came at 630pm..
Welcome to the real world, Dragon. A hundred things could have happened after 4PM when he thought he could make all his deliveries.
A few extra OCA's?
A couple shippers who weren't ready?
Maybe he'd been overdispatched all week and driver fatigue hit him hard.

It's not always Clarksville out there.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Exactly also he said the reason he had missed pieces was to get back to the air trailer maybe he didn't make that pick up with the air until about 6:30. The possibilities are endless as to why he called so late but let's not think of any of those real world things that happen let's just give him another warning letter.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Typical, all very lame excuses from professional drivers. Like I said he would have received a second warning letter for the missed pcs.

barnyard

KTM rider
and then a smart employee would grieve that 2nd letter. UPS cannot force me to use my cell for company business.

It is unbelievable that supposed competent managers are surprised when given a ridiculous dispatch, a driver fails. Fer chrissakes, you can tell when the drivers leave in the morning who is probably in trouble. Grow a spine and tell your boss that the numbers are unreasonable.

Micro managing is going to be the death of this company.

Why didn't the micro managers at his center/hub reply to his message at 4, asking if he would have missed pieces or pick ups... Obviously if he is going over something would have to give to stay under...

canam450

Anything can happen when you're an hour n half away from the building..I don't even know why we have to call in because all they say is okay be in before 8:30 if you have air and if its your third day of the 9.5 they just say mis enough to make it in by 9.5

Johney

Here's my thought process on using your phone to communicate problems. What I do is send multiply messages on the DIAD and also "TEXT"my on-road and center manager letting them know of my service issues. The reason I find behind this is that DIAD info can "disappear" as my cell phone info can not.There has been times where my phone info has made someone look like an a-hole....not me I assure you.While I agree we shouldn't need to use our phones to conduct business for a multi-billion dollar company, I do find that at times it works to CMA. Also under most plans are any of us really paying extra to use our phones at work? Not likely.:peaceful:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Typical, all very lame excuses from professional drivers. Like I said he would have received a second warning letter for the missed pcs.

Mgmnt could have sent him help, covered some pickups, etc. As usual they chose to do nothing. 9.5 was agreed to by mgmnt in the contract. Why is it so hard for you guys to abide by. Use your damn technology.

barnyard

KTM rider
Also under most plans are any of us really paying extra to use our phones at work? Not likely.:peaceful:

I agree with you there, but if they are requiring us to use our personal phones for work, will I get a warning letter when I forget it at home or forget to charge the battery???

I do use my phone on occasion. There are also occasions when I know I am being screwed with a crappy dispatch then I communicate everything via the diad, no cell phone. If I am getting screwed, I am not doing them any favors by making it easier to fix by using my phone. The technology is available that noone should go out with 11.5 plan days.

Buck Fifty

I read it, and I read it, and I read it. When he says he wont be able to finish his work by 9.5, it goes without saying there would be some missed pieces. I think your a little off or maybe just on vacation.

Johney

I agree with you there, but if they are requiring us to use our personal phones for work, will I get a warning letter when I forget it at home or forget to charge the battery???

I do use my phone on occasion. There are also occasions when I know I am being screwed with a crappy dispatch then I communicate everything via the diad, no cell phone. If I am getting screwed, I am not doing them any favors by making it easier to fix by using my phone. The technology is available that noone should go out with 11.5 plan days.
Your right they can't require us to use our phones,answer it or not that is our decision. I just use mine for my own personal gain or to help myself and like i said to CMA.

canam450

My supervisor is riding with me next week because i keep getting paid over an hour and they say I'm driving to slow from what the computer is saying..I love when SAFETY should be number one but in reality numbers are the only thing that matters to them