calling in (reasons)

I've seen a lot of replies with a strong connotation of "just wanting a day off" and references to the apperently infamous collective work ethic of the millenial generation.

Yes I'm young and yes I'm asking about calling in but ...

The reason I brought it to this forum is because I hate calling in for any reason,always have, because I know the havoc it can wreak and I don't ever wake up and say man I feel like going in to work today it's work it's work it's work, if I called in when I "didn't feel like working" I'd take a few days off every month.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have ever called in, in my life.

I once came to work with an awful stomach bug blew chunks on I log I was about to hoist in a dump trailer and then sh#* my pants trying to pick it up

millenials are awful workers in general though I could not argue to the contrary, I'm not cut from that same cloth I've got a strong work ethic and if I just wanted a day off cause I didn't feel like working I wouldn't give two sh#** if this was a justifiable reason or not I would call in lie about some diarrhea and sit back.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In my Local we have what is termed a "no fault attendance policy", with no form of compensated sick pay.
This means that no matter what the reason, it's an occurrence and we don't get paid.
We are in compliance as long as we don't have more than 6 occurrences in the previous 9 months.
It is for this reason that I don't give them an excuse when I take myself out of service.
I simply make the call, state that I am taking myself out, and there is no further discussion.

There are those who need to feel validated with a "good excuse", but I'm not one of them.
Also, be careful to not put yourself in a "trick bag" with a made up excuse that could land you in a scenario that could be construed as dishonesty.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
I've seen a lot of replies with a strong connotation of "just wanting a day off" and references to the apperently infamous collective work ethic of the millenial generation.

Yes I'm young and yes I'm asking about calling in but ...

The reason I brought it to this forum is because I hate calling in for any reason,always have, because I know the havoc it can wreak and I don't ever wake up and say man I feel like going in to work today it's work it's work it's work, if I called in when I "didn't feel like working" I'd take a few days off every month.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I have ever called in, in my life.

I once came to work with an awful stomach bug blew chunks on I log I was about to hoist in a dump trailer and then sh#* my pants trying to pick it up

millenials are awful workers in general though I could not argue to the contrary, I'm not cut from that same cloth I've got a strong work ethic and if I just wanted a day off cause I didn't feel like working I wouldn't give two sh#** if this was a justifiable reason or not I would call in lie about some diarrhea and sit back.
You have every right to be at your wife's ultrasound. She may be the one carrying the baby but it is your child too. I wouldn't have to think twice about it. call an hour before start time and say you won't be in.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
BY ALL MEANS you MUST be in the delivery room. There is nothing in the world that compares to watching the birth of your own child. If you are given the option of cutting the cord DO IT.
Being in the delivery room IS a must, but everyone isn't cut out to see the baby come out. As long as he's there, that's what counts.

Cementups

Box Monkey
BY ALL MEANS you MUST be in the delivery room. There is nothing in the world that compares to watching the birth of your own child. If you are given the option of cutting the cord DO IT.

I was in there but there was no way in hell I was watching. Either time. Even when they asked my wife if she wanted to feel the head crowning she said no. No way, no how. Even my brother told me before hand, "don't look, you'll never look at it the same again."

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
some things are more important than business.

i called out when my father-in-law died. had no days on the book. called out for my best friends funeral . ( killed in bike accident ) . called out when a family member was in ER due to a suicide attempt. each time i had no sp on books.

never told management why i was calling out. it was none of their business. was never written up . probably it only happened these 3 times in 20 plus years . maybe if they pushed the issue I would have told them .

upsman68

I was in there but there was no way in hell I was watching. Either time. Even when they asked my wife if she wanted to feel the head crowning she said no. No way, no how. Even my brother told me before hand, "don't look, you'll never look at it the same again."

I watched and it does not bother me at all. My wife still turns me on.