Calling off during probationary period

ZWillz

So this week I went in on Monday, sick nonetheless and by the end of the night it was progressively worse and I went home feeling like absolute :censored2:.

I've since called off every day thereafter due to being bedridden,sick and in/out of the hospital after coughing up blood. I do luckily have a doctors note, and I really, really hope to be in on Monday- as I really can't afford to not be working. But this is the sickest I've been in 10~ years and physically there is no way I can work as a PT Loader if I can't even make it around my house without my chest catching on fire and feeling like I'm going to die.

Now, what worries me is that I've called off for practically an entire week (except Thanksgiving which was spent sleeping for 13+ hours), during my probationary period. If I go in on Monday and present them with a doctors note- how likely is it I'm going to be in serious trouble? I could understand an infraction or something, as it was the whole week. And I really wouldn't care otherwise as I rarely call off unless absolutely needed so getting another attendance violation would be hard. But would I be fired? Cause I love this job, and it's decent pay for the work and I'd hate to lose it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So this week I went in on Monday, sick nonetheless and by the end of the night it was progressively worse and I went home feeling like absolute :censored2:.

I've since called off every day thereafter due to being bedridden,sick and in/out of the hospital after coughing up blood. I do luckily have a doctors note, and I really, really hope to be in on Monday- as I really can't afford to not be working. But this is the sickest I've been in 10~ years and physically there is no way I can work as a PT Loader if I can't even make it around my house without my chest catching on fire and feeling like I'm going to die.

Now, what worries me is that I've called off for practically an entire week (except Thanksgiving which was spent sleeping for 13+ hours), during my probationary period. If I go in on Monday and present them with a doctors note- how likely is it I'm going to be in serious trouble? I could understand an infraction or something, as it was the whole week. And I really wouldn't care otherwise as I rarely call off unless absolutely needed so getting another attendance violation would be hard. But would I be fired? Cause I love this job, and it's decent pay for the work and I'd hate to lose it.
Oh look....a giant wall of BS....I didn't know it stacked that high.

ZWillz

That's too bad but they will probably not keep you on.
Even with a doctors note from the hospital stating I was in there for 2 of the 3 days I called off and further saying not to work the rest of the week/until better? If so, I suppose I'll go in Monday and see what happens and look for a new job in the meantime.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Most likely....you will not be able to return to work without a Dr note declaring you fit to return to work....regardless of your doctor/hospital notes proving that you were ill. Be prepared to be sent home on Monday if you don't bring one with you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Even with a doctors note from the hospital stating I was in there for 2 of the 3 days I called off and further saying not to work the rest of the week/until better? If so, I suppose I'll go in Monday and see what happens and look for a new job in the meantime.
You are new and already an attendance problem. They are running a business....not a soup kitchen.

AllOnTheHorses

I think there is quite a difference between an attendance problem and an acute medical issue.
True they do not want to be a soup kitchen. But they also don't want someone passing out and wrecking a truck, killing someone or splattering a customer in blood.
Hopefully you will get to HRSC before close of business today.. in about ten minutes.. or do it asap Monday. Even if it's after contacting your sups.. but do it regardless of what sups say. You will then be sure that you have made your case and officially explained and put on record the reason for your absence.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Not saying the OP wasn't right to call in sick but I find it amazing that he has called in more times before he actually started working than I did in 30 years. (other than when I messed my back up once).

You just Started. It's the busy season.
Come on,seriously?

barnyard

KTM rider
In my building, after 3 days, you have to have a doctor's not OKing a return to work. If you do not have a note on Monday, you will most likely be sent home.

I'm betting UPS will put him to work Monday and for the rest of December. After the first of the year, depends on how he worked in December. Things happen that people have no control over like an illness. He most likely was not really needed last week anyway.
Still doesn't look good. I worked here a few days and took a week off

Bub bye after New years