Calling off sick

dillweed

...As a new employee you'd better show up ready to follow the rules of the company and to take direction from management. Once you've been around a few years you may learn how to better operate within the system. For now, put a check on that smart mouth of yours or you'll be chewed up and spit out quickly.

Didn't say I'd chew you up, not my style. UPS can handle that.

Your questions are fine, it's the assinine statements spewing from your keyboard that gripe me.

50 years old, 15 years at small center. Sort aisle - I've seen countless big guys come in, fart, fumble and fall. I do help picking up their slack in addition to my own area - most of them just don't know how to work.
btw, you ever eat a dill pickle. Silly goose :happy-very:

bailey2227

Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I am not the typical 18-19 year old kid who is just starting off at UPS. I've been around for a while. Maybe not at UPS, but serving in the military, working for the government, and even in airport operations I think gives me a little history. I don't really understand your relation between dill pickles and dillweed? I guess you can see the relationship with the word "dill" but the rest I am confused. Anyway, like I stated earlier this post was pointless. I can obviously see there are no clear cut answers and that was what I was trying to get. There isn't a straight "7 days sick time" or whatever the case may be. I guess I strong relationship with my sups so I guess I am pretty well set. Sometimes I think having a bit of confidence prevents you from being taken advantage of.

I think in one of the earlier posts someone said something about how it was in the military. I called off and never once had a problem because I built a strong relationship with my superiors. That is what it really comes down to.

bailey2227

One final observation. This is why you never listen to anything you hear on the internet. Look back at the answers I received. One person said 3 days off in a year, the next person says 4-5 days off, and then someone says 7 occurances in 9 months, and so on. I think there were even a few other answers. Do any of these match up?

I don't think it was intentional for everyone to have their own answers. The comment Helen wrote about whether it is a Hub or Center I am sure plays a role. I also think it depends on the individual.

I don't think I will have any problems. I just feel bad for the new guys who are just starting off and stand there "scared" when they are told never call off and everything else.

But, hopefully other people will come on here and read this post and see 90% of the people who are giving you answers "don't know what they are talking about". Be careful who you listen to and "take care of yourself"

bailey2227

Thanks Toledo UPSer. I just noticed the post you wrote. That sounds the most logical out of all them. Are you in Toledo, Ohio? I know you guys follow the same rules we do, so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Will Bailey, I was 8 years Air Force prior to UPS. Days off there and here at UPS are like apples and oranges. Staffing was never an issue in the military whereas at UPS, especially in the smaller centers, staffing seems to always be an issue. 2 hour lunches were not unheard of--heck, leaving early on Fridays was also not unheard of. Of course, these perks were after having been in for a few years and having 4 stripes on my arms (I was 6 days shy of putting on the 5th before I got out) and being stationed at an ATC base (pilot training).

As far as the different answers given, you should know that there is one National Master Agreement (except for 705/710--another thread) and many regional and local supplements. It is these supplements that dictate how many sick, personal and vacation days and how these are accrued. In my supplement, we get 4 personal, 5 sick and vacation weeks which start at 2 and increase by 1 every 5 years to a maximum of 6.

One thing you will find with me is I am a straight shooter. I don't tell people what I think they want to hear. That being said, you sound like a person who has his stuff together and will be an asset to the company in whatever position you are in.

You could stand to either lose or greatly reduce the size of that chip on your shoulder.

UPSGUY72

Listen idiot you ask a question that might vary center to center. If you don't like these anwser go ask you SUP's they tell you so you can HANG YOURSELF.

dillweed

bailey - I also feel you've got a lot of what UPSers need. It is the attitude. Maybe you're not aware of it but it seems a few others have noticed it.

It's best to just start out quiet and hard working - be friendly but watch and listen a lot. Get the vibes from your area prior to requesting favors and speaking your mind.

bailey2227

Thanks for the information Upstater. My intention was not to come off with a chip on my shoulder. I just can't stand when people try and come across with this hard attitude.

UPS72 I understand where your comments are coming from. I apologize for my posting seeming like I was not appreciative for the information. You guys did take time out to write an answer which I should be appreciative for. And I am.

Again, I am not trying to come off as a cocky college kid, or someone who has no respect for management.

bailey2227

Dillweed - Thanks for those words of encouragement. I apologize if I came off as a cocky college kid who doesn't want to hear what anyone else has to say. I do plan to work hard at UPS. I honestly don't know if I'll make a career at UPS or maybe stay part-time and build that way.

I guess the post took a turn and didn't get back on track. Honestly, if you were talking to me in person you'd see my attitude when speaking and writing are probably different. It is hard to tell what the person is really expressing when it is in writing.

I do mean well with trying to obtain information.

bailey2227

Drewed - I realize I may have come off with a little bit of an attitude. Ok, so maybe a little more than little but it is on a forum. I think males get into the heat of the moment and speak sometimes without taking a step back. We have our female counterparts to tell us when we are being stupid and full of testosterone.

I do appreciate your input into my situation. I do plan to talk to my Sup's at work on Monday. Try and get some more clarification.

I'll post the details once I find out. Thanks again for everyone's help!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
WOW!!! That turned out way differently than I thought it would. Nice going dill and upstate. Love the straight shooting posts.

Hey upstate? Are you in plattsburgh because that's where you ended your service. I know there is or was an AF base up there. My sister was married to a guy in the AF and they lived on that base and the old one in Rome. I actually went to Jr high while living on the base in Rome, though that only last a short time. My other sister, I have 4 (yes it's a trend in my genes..LOL), went to suny in plattsburgh. Just a lil history.

dillweed

I'm so happy that the thread turned around! It seems everyone sat back and tried to discover where the others were coming from.

bailey, I wish you all the best and look forward to more posts from you. :happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Steve, my last duty station was actually in Texas but I had met my wife (now ex) in Plattsburgh so that is where we moved to after we got out as this is where here family is from. The base in Rome was Griffiss and both bases are now closed and are doing quite well transitioning to the private sector; in fact, the former PAFB is now an international airport while Griffiss is a business park focusing on technology industries. Enrollment at SUNY grows each year with many of the students from the NYC/LI areas and Japan.