Calling out due to inclement weather

Channahon

Does UPS no longer put up drivers in hotels during bad weather? By bad weather, I mean interstates closed or worsening conditions on the roads?

raceanoncr

Does UPS no longer put up drivers in hotels during bad weather? By bad weather, I mean interstates closed or worsening conditions on the roads?

Sorry, Chan, but am laughing now. One of our teams said they could not go on any longer. Called Louky. Louky said, "We haven't heard of any roads closed, so KEEP going!"

Easy to say if you're 800 miles away.

Locally, some of our brown feeders have been holed up in motels because of their interest in safety. Managements interest in safety? Don't get me started!!! AGAIN!!!!

outta hours

Oh yea my friend? Ever slip and slide a set of doubles through a foot of snow?
Ever pull a set down the side of a mountain and wonder what was in the fog below?
Ever run the gaunlet on a bridge during heavy winds?

Please don't kiss my but because I am management.
Please don't kiss my but because I worked 19 hours straight yesterday as this Noreaster ripped through the east coast.

At the same time please don't shortchange my contribution to this company simply because I chose to do a different job after having done yours.

I have pulled a set in a snowstorm and in ice. And a few times a train (triples) And down a mtn. in a 2 line fog. I have also been put in a hotel after 15 hrs in a tractor 1/2 way back to my hub, only to have someone bring me the next nights set down to me to take back to where I just came from. Without being back to my hub or home for two days. I am not short changing anyones contribution to this company. But we all know the weather makes for exceptions, emergency conditions whatever you want to call them. Where I am some days I have gone in and my run is canceled due to weather where I am headed. So if it is that dangerous my stance is I will call in an option 3 and stay home. Just because I continue to do my job( the one you used to do) does not mean you are any better than me. I choose not to do what you do now. I love guy's like you that have to brag on themselves for how great they were when they drove,loaded,or whatever. My expierence has been that those who have to talk up their own game, usually did not have much game to start with. Maybe you are an exception to that but I'm not sure about that yet.

disneyworld

This storm gave most of the east coast 2 inches of mixed sleet. not a big deal in weather terms. Take you time go to work and when you get there join the players making this business happen.

Even though there was not alot of snow, I think this was one of the most dangerous days we have worked. Everything at 3:00 turned to a sheet of ice including the back platform of the truck which collects water throughout the day. They pulled everyone off the road at 6:40 so you know it had to be a hazzard. Thank God its over![/QUOTE]
6:40? Gee, thanks for caring.

ups_vette

For those of you not familar with Eastern Pennsylvania, Interstate 78 is a major east-west highway. It has been close to all trafic ( a 50 mile streach) since Wednesday due to the ice and snow buildup and jack knifed tractor-trailors blocking the roadway.

The local newspaper had several articles about people stranded on I78 for up to 24 hours. The National Guard was called out to assist stranded traveler, and shelters were set up in a school.

One of the stranded drivers mentioned in the article was a UPS driver heading eastbound to his home Hub in Secaucus, NJ. He became stranded behind a couple of jack knifed trailors at 1 PM on WEDNESDAY and was finally rescued at 11 AM on THURSDAY, and taken to the shelter. He had been STRANDED for 22 HOURS in sub zero weather, along with an estimated 1,000 others.

P.S. As of now, I78 is STILL CLOSED, 50 hours and counting.
Thank you PENDOT (Pa Dept of Transportation)

raceanoncr

For those of you not familar with Eastern Pennsylvania, Interstate 78 is a major east-west highway. It has been close to all trafic ( a 50 mile streach) since Wednesday due to the ice and snow buildup and jack knifed tractor-trailors blocking the roadway.

The local newspaper had several articles about people stranded on I78 for up to 24 hours. The National Guard was called out to assist stranded traveler, and shelters were set up in a school.

One of the stranded drivers mentioned in the article was a UPS driver heading eastbound to his home Hub in Secaucus, NJ. He became stranded behind a couple of jack knifed trailors at 1 PM on WEDNESDAY and was finally rescued at 11 AM on THURSDAY, and taken to the shelter. He had been STRANDED for 22 HOURS in sub zero weather, along with an estimated 1,000 others.

Yes, I am familier with I-78 and the problem this week with the weather. My heart goes out to all the people and families that were stranded.

Have been in the UPS drivers position many times and wish him and his family well.

It's too bad, though, that the warning letter will make it back to his building before he does.

slacker

Re: Calling out due to inclement weather

Thank you PENDOT (Pa Dept of Transportatio

Hope he kept his idle time below 33 miniutes

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
UPS-Vette, I was in Pittsburgh today, and they were slamming Penndot and Rendell on a talk radio station. I guess mostly coz they kept letting people on, when they already knew it was a highway to nowhere. Good to see your tax dollars at work, isnt it? Now thats warm and fuzzy!!

tieguy

Banned
I respect your position and what you've been thru. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Some of US have been thru it too.

I agree and I appreciate what you have done also. And that was my point in my response. I didn't spend my years with this company hiding from the challenges that presented theirselves. We all earn our money working for the brown machine.

tieguy

Banned
tie i dragged doubles up and down a mnt side last nite,had to spray wd/40 on my hands to get em off the steering wheel when i got back,i would have loved to bang in

know the feeling , finally got the company to give us some of the new internationals with Jakes in the last couple of orders. Makes life a little easier for the guys pulling those hills every day.

tieguy

Banned

I78 and also 81 were shut down. We (ups) had quite a few drivers stuck in the mess for 20 or more hours.

browniehound

I78 and also 81 were shut down. We (ups) had quite a few drivers stuck in the mess for 20 or more hours.

I'm asking here. Do the feeder drivers get paid when they're stuck like that (I'm assuming they do)? If so, thats some serious money they're making to just sit there. I know it sucks, but I guess you have to look at the bright side.

raceanoncr

I'm asking here. Do the feeder drivers get paid when they're stuck like that (I'm assuming they do)? If so, thats some serious money they're making to just sit there. I know it sucks, but I guess you have to look at the bright side.

Yes, feeder drivers get paid while stuck. Sleepers get paid after being stuck for 15 min, then time goes back to first min. Yes, it can be very lucrative but, personally, I'd rather be moving.

Yes, feeder drivers get paid while stuck. Sleepers get paid after being stuck for 15 min, then time goes back to first min. Yes, it can be very lucrative but, personally, I'd rather be moving.
Come`on now. A nice wine and a backrub makes the time go by smoothly. Kind of a Brokeback Trucker kind of mood.:laugh:

raceanoncr

Don't get me started on the Brokebutt thing! My partner already wants me to tell him a bedtime story after his shift is over!