Calories Burned?

Jean Paul

I'm still fairly new to ups and quickly finding out that working on the sort aisle is a workout itself. I'm 5'11 weighing about 225 and work out two to three times a week. I find myself sweating A LOT more than others. I mean within the first 10 to 15 mins, my face is drenched. By the end of the day I look like I just jumped in a pool with my clothes on. Does anyone know as to how many calories one burns when working on the sort aisle? Any thoughts as to why I sweat way more than others? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

jaker

trolling
About 2 calories burned and the reason you are sweating more is likely because you are using muscles that you don't normally use and you are not used to the job yet

Give it a few weeks and you will get used to it

Jean Paul

About 2 calories burned and the reason you are sweating more is likely because you are using muscles that you don't normally use and you are not used to the job yet

Give it a few weeks and you will get used to it

Lmfao only 2 calories burned? And I been working at ups since January and still sweating like a hog.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm still fairly new to ups and quickly finding out that working on the sort aisle is a workout itself. I'm 5'11 weighing about 225 and work out two to three times a week. I find myself sweating A LOT more than others. I mean within the first 10 to 15 mins, my face is drenched. By the end of the day I look like I just jumped in a pool with my clothes on. Does anyone know as to how many calories one burns when working on the sort aisle? Any thoughts as to why I sweat way more than others? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.
1) It's hereditary. One side of my family, from Wales (UK) I believe, always has sweat like crazy. I've accepted it. I'm pretty much a hot mess from late May to September while at work.
2) You're not used to the work. Others have developed a flow and found little shortcuts to not work quite as hard and also probably have paired up with unloaders working at a more reasonable pace. They often put the new sorters with the "I'm pulling walls over onto the extendo and don't GAF about what's heading to the aisle" unloaders that more senior sorters don't want to deal with.
3) Others have built up a tolerance for the temperature. I used to be horrible in the heat in the summer. I went on vacation to the Bahamas twice and Hawaii twice and barely left my hotel room because I was uncomfortable in the heat/humidity. I still dislike the heat but since I started with UPS I don't mind it nearly as much. A couple days ago I was out in the backyard and it was 90 and I realized I wasn't sweating very much and that driving in this weather has gotten me used to it.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Running a mile burns 100 calories and a bottle of Gatorade has 160 calories. The sort aisle is one of the easier jobs at UPS.
That's why you get these
image.jpg

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
All I know is, I go on vacation for a week and the pants get tight. You don't see too many fat package car drivers. Feeders yes, package no.

HardknocksUPSer

When I first started at UPS I was hired as a seasonal during peak and weighed 230lbs at the time, I started loading on preload and doing driver helper after my shift, I got my maximum hours everyday of the week all throughout peak season, by the time peak was over I had gotten down to 185lbs from all of the walking/running while working. I was drinking 1 soda a day, eating multiple snacks, a big lunch, and around 1 gallon of water a day. After peak I was hired as a permanent employee and continued to eat healthy due to the fact that the foods I liked before no longer tasted well. I'm now down to 165lbs and still sweat like a mad man, the humidity in my center is horrid, even my sups sweat from the humidity, I would say that the sweating is normal. My looks like I got hit with a gallon of water, I also try to shave more often in order to keep my face from sweating so much.

watdaflock?

And I been working at ups since January and still sweating like a hog.

Hogs don't sweat. Hope this helps.

All seriousness because you work out a few times a week contributes to you sweating more.

Your body has become more trained to cool itself when overheated.
You sweat sooner because your body is trained to respond.
You sweat more because your body has learned to keep its temperature under control.

Because of the exercise and your body adapting to the heat better than others you lose less electrolytes per volume of sweat.
You’ll still need to replenish electrolytes during exercise, but this adaptation helps to keep the electrolyte requirement manageable.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
How many burned? Too many. When the driving kicks in regularly I can barely keep my weight up to where I want it. And nothing makes me want beef jerky more than working preload. And the reload? Don't get me started. The whole shift consists of me asking everyone I see if they want to go to Taco Bell when we're done.