Cameras on certain trucks

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes but telematics cannot tell if we are on our cell phones, if there are packages in the cab, if we are being rude while driving or any other "in-cab distractions".
Oh I see. I was under the impression, as were a few drivers I work with, that the cameras were possibly somewhere in the back of the trucks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We have a truck with cameras in those little half ball things. They are positioned above the passenger side door, behind the bulkhead door, and in the middle of the truck from a metal beam. These were installed in two trucks, one was crushed and the one I speak of will soon be as it's a old Ford with hydraulic e-brake pull button. I failed to mention there is a dvr under the 4000shelf with a gumball style lock on it. All this to say the regular driver taped info notices all over the camera and greived it being in his truck. The info notices have never been removed.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We have a truck with cameras in those little half ball things. They are positioned above the passenger side door, behind the bulkhead door, and in the middle of the truck from a metal beam. These were installed in two trucks, one was crushed and the one I speak of will soon be as it's a old Ford with hydraulic e-brake pull button. I failed to mention there is a dvr under the 4000shelf with a gumball style lock on it. All this to say the regular driver taped info notices all over the camera and greived it being in his truck. The info notices have never been removed.

So much for the bottle.

Johney

Yes but telematics cannot tell if we are on our cell phones, if there are packages in the cab, if we are being rude while driving or any other "in-cab distractions".
Yup and just like Telematics and Dispatching there will come a time very soon where on-roads will go the way of the dinosaurs. Won't need them when all can be done by one bean counter behind a computer screen.

Johney

All this to say the regular driver taped info notices all over the camera
Wouldn't that be considered tampering with UPS property? We were told DO NOT tamper with Telematics or anything else in the trucks or expect discipline and or termination.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yup and just like Telematics and Dispatching there will come a time very soon where on-roads will go the way of the dinosaurs. Won't need them when all can be done by one bean counter behind a computer screen.

Then when they can finally teach that monkey to drive or self driving vehicals are perfected that one bean counter can run the whole show.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I am yet to see in the methods, and memorized crap, anywhere where it says we need to be nice while driving. I am an A hole driver, personally and professionally, IF you deserve it. Let them record me, picking my nose, wiping my @$$, and anything else gross I can think of.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Since the truck is often used for personal reasons as would a locker room, I smell huge settlements if this is indeed true.

GolfCart

I do my job right , it just sucks to have cameras , GPS , telematics , all this crap . All I want to do is deliver a box . Why is it so hard to do that ? I just got a warning letter last week because Telematics said I recorded while driving , and computer was NOT in my hand . Its timing issue , if you stop complete , then crank truck , you just got a record while travel . The union is NO HELP !! They will NOT help me . If I get on list again , I get in MORE trouble ! We have people on this list that NEVER touch the diad if truck is running !! So this is proof the system has flaws !! At least the camera will PROVE that the diad is NOT in my hand while driving !!! SO that's a good thing !!!

UPSGUY72

There is a camera in the bottom corner of some of the rear view camera monitors. The drivers in my building put a piece of a info notice over it. Some drivers even put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

GolfCart

just found out , we had 3 drivers today get suspension ( 5 days ) for record while travel !!! BUT no one saw them with a diad in their hand !!! Where is the UNION !!!

JL 0513

If they proceed to install cameras in all trucks it would be total crap. Not because we're doing something wrong but because of that feeling of being watched every second of the day. That feeling of independence will be gone. Just think if you had to ride with an on car sup everyday! When I'm with a sup my mind is distracted by their presence and I don't work as smoothly. Stupid mistakes happen. Instead of focusing on the job at hand, your obsessed with making sure every little thing is done by the book.
And never mind the issue of using the back for personal needs as others have mentioned. Most guys use a bottle unless you have a route with public restrooms everywhere. I have no access to a bathroom for 3 hours at a time. If there's a camera in the back, then it's going to be a 20+ minute round trip to go find a restroom. Is that what UPS wants?

Doing every method by the book will end up costing UPS many millions more as it will significantly slow us down. A very bad move.

GolfCart

if they proceed to install cameras in all trucks it would be total crap. Not because we're doing something wrong but because of that feeling of being watched every second of the day. That feeling of independence will be gone. Just think if you had to ride with an on car sup everyday! When i'm with a sup my mind is distracted by their presence and i don't work as smoothly. Stupid mistakes happen. Instead of focusing on the job at hand, your obsessed with making sure every little thing is done by the book.
And never mind the issue of using the back for personal needs as others have mentioned. Most guys use a bottle unless you have a route with public restrooms everywhere. I have no access to a bathroom for 3 hours at a time. If there's a camera in the back, then it's going to be a 20+ minute round trip to go find a restroom. Is that what ups wants?

Doing every method by the book will end up costing ups many millions more as it will significantly slow us down. A very bad move.

true true !!!

FilingBluesFL

If there's a camera in the back, then it's going to be a 20+ minute round trip to go find a restroom.

You're an idiot if you think standing in the back of the truck and pissing in a bottle is "The right thing to do."
There is a camera in the bottom corner of some of the rear view camera monitors. The drivers in my building put a piece of a info notice over it. Some drivers even put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

We were told that we were getting new monitors that provided a wider view of the back of the package car when backing.

Incidentally they "forgot" to mention that built into each of those new replacement monitors, is a camera lens.