Cameras

standtall

You can't hurt my feelings, I left them at home.
I don't mind watering the trees, but I have no intention of fertilizing them. If its time to make a poopie then I don't care how many miles I have to break trace in order to find a bathroom and I could care less if management whines about it or not.
Yes, but if your dropping a deuce 5 times a day, a trip to your physician might be in order ;-(

P

pickup

FedEx has been pushing us to install them in all our trucks. Seems like a liability to me.

When it comes to rules, Fed Ex treats its ground drivers like employees, when it comes to anything else: independent contractors.

Stopher

I still say it could happen. I've seen it in a truck before on a rte I covered. Dude went ahead and taped infonotices on them to conceal what he was doing. He's was a target though. They know everything else we do. Why wouldn't they try to peak further into what we do out there? Management is all about trying to make it harder to deliver parcels which sucks with stop co

Stopher

Sorry, girlfriend called. Was talkin bout the insanely high stop counts. Maybe it's a good idea to have cameras. Then they can see how stupid ass Orion suggested I dig a package out of the back of the truck when I got a bunch of Pottery Barn clogging the middle of my load. Then they can witness first hand the bs we deal with.

ArcherUTR

I still say it could happen. I've seen it in a truck before on a rte I covered. Dude went ahead and taped infonotices on them to conceal what he was doing. He's was a target though. They know everything else we do. Why wouldn't they try to peak further into what we do out there? Management is all about trying to make it harder to deliver parcels which sucks with stop co

Let me guess...the brighten/dimmer sensor on the newer LCD backing monitors in automatic trucks?

Nimnim

The Nim
Even if they installed cameras in the cargo areas, it's simply not feasible to think they'd monitor every driver actively. They'd only be watching those they'd have suspicion of some sort of wrongdoing they want to catch them red handed with footage. Also with most of the loads I've seen people post the camera would only be staring at the side of a box for half the day making any attempt to film moot. Add on top of that the various technical issues that always happen with the sensors and stuff in the PC and it just wouldn't be reliable enough for it to be cost. . . wait nevermind, there's probably 5 cameras in there already with maybe 2 of them working at any given time with the others being replaced weekly because someone produced a lovely powerpoint showing that it's worth it with the numbers they produced rolling dice when they were pretending not to play D&D.

KaiserTom

I mean peasants have been doing it in Russia for years now. I'm sure UPS could afford it. I'm sure they are chomping at the bit to do this.

It's actually mainly insurance companies in Russia that pay for it, to deal with the massive amount of insurance fraud over there.

Stopher

So the question kinda still remains. Would this practice be considered "legal" by ups terms or would we have to be notified that we were under surveillance per our union? I would be more hesitant about urinating in the cargo area.

clean hairy

Even if they installed cameras in the cargo areas, it's simply not feasible to think they'd monitor every driver actively. They'd only be watching those they'd have suspicion of some sort of wrongdoing they want to catch them red handed with footage. Also with most of the loads I've seen people post the camera would only be staring at the side of a box for half the day making any attempt to film moot. Add on top of that the various technical issues that always happen with the sensors and stuff in the PC and it just wouldn't be reliable enough for it to be cost. . . wait nevermind, there's probably 5 cameras in there already with maybe 2 of them working at any given time with the others being replaced weekly because someone produced a lovely powerpoint showing that it's worth it with the numbers they produced rolling dice when they were pretending not to play D&D.
No worries if the cameras turn out to be as reliable as Orion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While I do see the day when the company will put cameras in the cab, I do not see them installing them in the cargo area.

Monitoring the video feeds will only take place as the result of an accident or concern.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
While I do see the day when the company will put cameras in the cab, I do not see them installing them in the cargo area.

Monitoring the video feeds will only take place as the result of an accident or concern.

You really believe that? I don't. Main objective of anything the company does is to control something, mainly us. Camera's provide real time, constant OJS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You really believe that? I don't. Main objective of anything the company does is to control something, mainly us. Camera's provide real time, constant OJS.

Yes, I really do believe this. I believe the in-cab cameras (two) will be positioned to focus on the driver and on the view out of the windshield. I do not believe that they will install any cameras in the cargo area.