Camping ! Anyone ?

klein

Für Meno :)
I miss camping in the Rockies !
I have photo albums from those days, so near and close to me, but never seem to get there anymore :(

texan

I have had enough camping to last a life time.
No more I hope for me.
bondsteel16.jpg

klein

Für Meno :)
I came across so many bears, elks, deer in my life that I consider them all to be friendly.
Gee, I even took a pee next to a bear (didn't realize it was there, though). It was just eating away at wild berries and didn't care I was 10 feet away.
True story !

bbsam

Staff member
Took the family camping with the Cub Scouts last weekend. Very fun, but did bring back memories of Patrick McManus' great works the first that I was exposed to entitled "A Fine and Pleasant Misery".

moreluck

golden ticket member
We had a Prowler trailer and went camping at Fall Creek just outside of Idaho Falls, Idaho. Self contained, no hook ups because it was basically summer grazing land for cattle.
You carried 50 gallons of water and it had to last....washing dishes, shower, brushing teeth, toilet, etc. It was a challenge on an extra long weekend with 5 of us.

Moose and deer were all around. Beavers had dams built. The trout fishing was great and my kids ate trout for lunch every day. We had a special metal cooking piece that mounted on a stake over the camp fire. It was made by a guy in Montana.....like a blacksmith.
The smell of bacon coming off that griddle in the morning was so good.....then the hash browns in the bacon grease, then eggs and my mouth is watering. We did steaks on it too. We went almst every weekend 3/4 of the year.

gostillerz

My mother was so excited when she bought a 28' trailer parked in a "camp". When I got up there, I saw those things shoehorned as tight as possible to each other, and was 10 miles from a decent sized city. Kids screaming everywhere, Christmas type lights were used as property borders, and 2 burger/ice cream joints. That's not camping. It's the live version of My Name is Earl.

rod

Retired 22 years
We use to camp with the kids almost every weekend during the summer for probably 12- 15 years with a 1972 18 foot trailer. I haven't camped for 20 plus years now----------that is til next weekend. I bought a new Toy Hauler late last fall and June 4th and 5th will be the first we will use it. Its not really roughing it anymore --- roof air- damn near a full size refrigerator-full bathroom- wall mount TV (actually you can move the TV from the living room to the bedroom or even hang it on the outside of the trailer)- super stereo (inside and outside speakers) and CD player setup- power awning-etc-etc. About all I remember about camping is you sit around a campfire and drink beer---I think I can still handle that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We were considering a camping trip this weekend but (a) I needed to rebuild our deck and (b) our favorite camp site is currently under about 3 feet of snow. Last summer we went up there for the 4th of July weekend and it was 90 degrees outside with snow on the ground in the shady spots. Snowball fights on the 4th are a lot more fun than fireworks!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Philmont.jpgWhen the kids were young we had a Coleman pop up We camped in Maine,New Hanpshire ,New York, Connetticut,Pennsylvania,New Jersey and Virginia.Some of our favorite places were Baily's Camp Ground in Maine,Skyline Drive in Virginia, and Cherristone on tip of the Eastern Shore in Virginia.
When the boys got older and got involved in Scouts we hiked and backpacked many parts of the AT in New York, Pennsylvania,Virginia and New Jersey.Favorites hikes were the Lemon Squezzer and Timp in Harrimon State Park NY , and Old Rag in Virginia.We also hiked and canoed through the Adinirondecks in NY for a week, the Cranberry Lake area The highlight of my camping career was our 2 week trip to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.We took the same young men that first showed up at my house as Wolf Cubs when they were 7 fast forward to 16 years old back packing for for 2 weeks with everything they needed on their back( food included) and they ran the trip.We drank and purified water from streams cooked freeze dried meals,camped in the snow in August (12,000+feet),fished in trout streams,road horses,rock climbed,and had a great time.My son said that I was geezin the last day ,but after 2 weeks out and only one "cold shower"I could "smell the barn" LOL,but very proud of the boys.
There is nothing like the smell of a campfire !!!
Philmont.jpg

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
I got rid of our 98 Coleman pop up last year when we moved to the heart of the big city. (Actually my sister got it in a steal!) She just got back from a trip in it yesterday.

I do miss it, and we did buy a tent and camp one time last fall. Unfortunately, I do not see having the time to go this year at all. So many projects I have to get done on this house...

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
We had a Coleman Seqouia with a screened in canopy on front.We had a lot of fun camping as a family But I never could back it up correctley the first time. Always tried to get a pull thru spot.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I got rid of our 98 Coleman pop up last year when we moved to the heart of the big city. (Actually my sister got it in a steal!) She just got back from a trip in it yesterday.

I do miss it, and we did buy a tent and camp one time last fall. Unfortunately, I do not see having the time to go this year at all. So many projects I have to get done on this house...

Ovah! Don't spend all of your time on the house. Ya gotta have fun too. Refresh and recharge.