Can a p/t double shift?

arice11

Really?? I'll go back and look at your previous posts...but I could've sworn you said you were a pc loader.

I load and unload, sort and deliver whatever irregs need hauling. In the morning after irregs I walk the belts and help set them up for the day. Same thing at the end of the shift.
They've taken me off the sort aisle lately but I'm glad for that. This whole week I've been doing unload and SPA.
Sometimes the only thing I don't do in that building is drive. But looking to change that.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
To you and I....not that hard. To millennials.........it's absolutely torturous.

I think the older generation wants so hard to believe this so they feel more important.

Comparison of different eras at the building I work in:
UPS Preload in 1999 [when I hired in]
- $9.50/hour
- eligible for benefits after 30 days
- 5-hour shifts, start time didn't deviate during the week
- all new hires were guaranteed at least three days per week to begin with
- loaders averaged 350-400 packages between the three cars they were assigned to load
- bagels & doughnuts every Friday, upgraded to full breakfast first Friday of each month
- plenty of other free grub, including Founder's Day and a buffet spread right before Christmas
- gift card incentive program that recognized employees for perfect attendance, no misloads, high load quality, going out of their way to do something safe (picking up hub snake, etc.), mentoring a new hire without being told to do so, etc.
- "Safety Bucks" that could be used to purchase gloves, shoes (from the mobile shoe van that came 2x year), etc.
- Christmas turkeys

UPS Preload in 2015:
- $10/hour
- not eligible for benefits for 1 year
- 3-hour shifts with staggered start times -- have to ask for 3.5 hours
- new hires are on-call, may only be called in 3 times in their first month working less than 10 hours total
- loaders average 800-900 packages between the three cars they are assigned to
- absolutely no food recognition - not even on Founder's Day

------

Maybe people are shunning UPS for mall jobs not because they're lazy but because... THEY'RE BETTER JOBS!!!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Why pay a high seniority PTer $50/hr working doubles when you can hire 5 new guys.

In most areas, you need 30 years seniority to earn a $50/hour OT wage.... and the guys usually eager to work doubles aren't in their 50s ;).

In practicality, double-shifting saves UPS money. Oodles of evening sorts need employees for only two hours per day (e.g. pick-ups don't arrive into the facility until after 7PM but trailers are dispatched beginning at 9PM) and additional lift on Mondays. Reality is... it's tough to find people to work that type of schedule, hence why UPS is increasingly adding dedicated PT recruiters (HR managers). One person may rotate among smaller buildings while a larger one (like mine) has one here FT. Then, because of the increased hiring, UPS adds PT sups to train these new employees. So UPS is paying hefty wages to the FT employee (plus his/her expenses, such as driving to/from local colleges for recruiting missions), additional wages to the PT sups, spending significant time & money orientating the new employee to safety BS, then pays additional payroll taxes (e.g. unemployment insurance, which is capped off at a certain amount, so it's an added expense) and in some cases define contributions -- even if that employee quits long before they vest. Then the employee quickly realizes they could make more money elsewhere and quit... starting the process all over again.

BUT, BUT, BUT... when UPS double shifts...

Some jackarse in management gets the internal financial statements from the auditors and sees this and fumes:
WAGE EXPENSE - PT REGULAR
WAGE EXPENSE - PT OVERTIME

He demands that overtime be curtailed, without realizing that because of the dynamics of the company, it really costs UPS more to seemingly pay less...

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
How many years did you work part time after you could of had a full time job here?

I could have went full time after 5 years. A bunch of my buddies from the sort aisle left to go driving at that time but I stayed in the sort aisle. Looking back, I'd do it the same way again if I had a time machine. Those years working PT and double shifting game me both the time and money to enjoy my vacations and free time. With driving I have an abundance of money and no time to enjoy it other than weekends.

By The Book

I could have went full time after 5 years. A bunch of my buddies from the sort aisle left to go driving at that time but I stayed in the sort aisle. Looking back, I'd do it the same way again if I had a time machine. Those years working PT and double shifting game me both the time and money to enjoy my vacations and free time. With driving I have an abundance of money and no time to enjoy it other than weekends.
Sounds like that works for you. I'm thinking you may of chose driving had it not been for the fact you could double shift. What would blow is if they stopped double shifting soon after you turned down a driving job.