can a p1200, or a p32 pull a pup???

rod

Retired 22 years
When I first started (1971) there was a driver from somewhere in South Dakota that used a diesel powered P600 to pull another gas powered P600 with a tow bar to the hub in Moorhead, Mn. for the nightly sort. :surprised:

I`m kind of lost with the "p" prefix on package cars as we used to call them "cubes". Anyway my route started with an 8 cube then I got a tp60,then I went to a 10 cube with the tp60, and left the route to go feeder with an 11 cube (long wheelbase 10 cube) with a tp60. I liked the trailer,extra room,trailer experience, and an extra .10 an hour.

upsman68

I drive a pos P1000 with a tp60. This pkg car was built in 1987. It has no power steering and way high off the ground. All other drivers in my buliding have newer package cars. I just want to have power steering. My mgmt team told me that the newer 1000 can have a trailer hitch. I hoping this week my center goes all diesel and I will get a car with power steering

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Steve I am pretty impressed with the plethora of UPS pics that you seem to have......with you in them. Who do you get to take all of these pics? And crap while i am at it you always have a smile on your face.....I am beginning to think you are an on road supe or somthing:happy2:. And what is with that freakin gleaming clean package car....anyone else find this fishy?:peaceful:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A 1200 cant pull a trailer, not only would it be too long but the overhang on the back end would cause the hitch to drag on the ground anytime you went up a driveway at an angle. This is already an issue with the P-1000's that we have, and a P-12 would be even worse.

In theory at least a P32 could pull one if you installed the hitch and wiring, but I wouldnt want to drive a setup like that. The p-32 is too small and light and doesnt have a dual rear axle.

A 1200 cant pull a trailer, not only would it be too long but the overhang on the back end would cause the hitch to drag on the ground anytime you went up a driveway at an angle. This is already an issue with the P-1000's that we have, and a P-12 would be even worse.

In theory at least a P32 could pull one if you installed the hitch and wiring, but I wouldnt want to drive a setup like that. The p-32 is too small and light and doesnt have a dual rear axle.

Couldn't you rig the hitch so the stinger goes over the bumper on the 1200. That is how our 700's are...It seems like all of our hitches fall off of our 1000s they are all attached under the bumper.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve I am pretty impressed with the plethora of UPS pics that you seem to have......with you in them. Who do you get to take all of these pics? And crap while i am at it you always have a smile on your face.....I am beginning to think you are an on road supe or somthing:happy2:. And what is with that freakin gleaming clean package car....anyone else find this fishy?:peaceful:

LOL, almost made me choke on my plate of steak & onions. CA, I'm just one of those guys that loves what he does. I had my customer take that picture, see him in the gleam of my pkg car? Don't really aspire to MGMT, but you never know, maybe one day.:surprised:

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
LOL, almost made me choke on my plate of steak & onions. CA, I'm just one of those guys that loves what he does. I had my customer take that picture, see him in the gleam of my pkg car? Don't really aspire to MGMT, but you never know, maybe one day.:surprised:

I sure hope one day when I'm a full-time driver that I have this attitude! I truly like the driving aspect of the job. After my previous job...This is easy mentally!!

Thanks Steve!!!

dragracer66

We have a brand new workhorse P-12 that pulls a TP-60 with no problem at my building. The hitch is mounted over the bumper flush with the truck and it has a removable drop hitch to clear the bumper. I don't know why people say its to long that nuts its no different than 4 door pickup witha 8'ft bed pulling a trailer. Also a P-32 could absolutely pull a TP-60. A P-32 is a e250 ford van chassis, what nobody has ever pulled a trailer with a ford van????

Let's see STUG, Coldwater posted this at 1:23pm today (Sun)....did you put your uniform on, drive to your Center, hook up a trailer,take a picture, return home, download this picture just for this thread? All in about 35 minutes?...lol...your like Speedy Gonzalez....
You silly goose, Stevie rides a bike.

soberups

Couldn't you rig the hitch so the stinger goes over the bumper on the 1200. That is how our 700's are...It seems like all of our hitches fall off of our 1000s they are all attached under the bumper.

No, there isnt any room between the bumper and the frame. You could lower the bumper, but then it would drag even worse than the hitch.

I used to have an International 654-series P7 with the hitch that was above the bumper, in order to make it fit they had to lower the bumper with spacers and I had problems with the bumper dragging on steep driveways.

The geometry of a 1000 or a 1200 is such that something is going to drag, unless you have the package compartment high enough off the ground that it winds up being a real bitch to get in and out of, like the old gas-powered 1000's and 800's that practically require a ladder to climb up into.

soberups

We have a brand new workhorse P-12 that pulls a TP-60 with no problem at my building. The hitch is mounted over the bumper flush with the truck and it has a removable drop hitch to clear the bumper. I don't know why people say its to long that nuts its no different than 4 door pickup witha 8'ft bed pulling a trailer. Also a P-32 could absolutely pull a TP-60. A P-32 is a e250 ford van chassis, what nobody has ever pulled a trailer with a ford van????

The P32's are undersized junk. Yes it is physically capable of pulling a trailer, but it wont hold up pulling a heaviily loaded one every day for years and hundreds of thousands of miles. People who routinely haul heavy trailers usually prefer one-ton pickups with dual rear wheels. And, a P-12 is much lower and has a much longer wheelbase, with much more overhang behind the rear wheels.

singledave

A P800? Are's were all pulled from service years ago since they either couldn't get parts or wouldn't pass Ca. smog. More junk for the rest of the country.

Most P60's are pulled with P10 (P100)'s here. A few P70's.

Does anyone code the pickup pieces in the trailer differently?

We have guys that get credit for 400 pieces and never load a thing. That can pay $200 a week easy. No extra code like smalls are supposed to be counted.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
A P800? Are's were all pulled from service years ago since they either couldn't get parts or wouldn't pass Ca. smog. More junk for the rest of the country.

Most P60's are pulled with P10 (P100)'s here. A few P70's.

Does anyone code the pickup pieces in the trailer differently?

We have guys that get credit for 400 pieces and never load a thing. That can pay $200 a week easy. No extra code like smalls are supposed to be counted.

Sounds like someone is fudging with numbers!

browniehound

I'm guessing you are in a bonus center where you would recieve the time allowance for loading 400 pieces/day that you didn't actually load. My second guess would be if this were true than the supervisor and center manager would know about it. How could they not?

TGD

I need more carbon paper
When I first started (1971) there was a driver from somewhere in South Dakota that used a diesel powered P600 to pull another gas powered P600 with a tow bar to the hub in Moorhead, Mn. for the nightly sort. :surprised:
I'm pretty sure that was out of the center I started in. We did some crazy stuff back in the old days. (started in 84) Gotta love the the PX(package exchange) between feeders in the middle of nowhere at 20 below, back to back in the dark.(that almost sounds dirty!) The '71 guys were a great group of role models for us younger ones. Anything to get the package to the customer. Send-agains were few and far between.