Can a supervisor, manage while off duty?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mgr. needs to look up in Websters dictionary the word vacation.

"Vacation" and "integrity" have been removed from their editions.

Back to the OP. It sounds as though the pkg may have been intended for a friend of the sup who may have called him asking for help. The sup then "just happened" to run in to you and asked you to do both him and the consignee a favor. He could have just as easily either given the center number to his friend or called the center himself but instead chose to do it in person.

I have several consignees who I have given my personal cell number to. One of them is an occassional shipper who does not have enough volume to warrant a daily P/U so he calls me and I P/U his pkgs for him as a favor. I usually tell them when I will be on vacation but if they do happen to call me I will either call the center or the cover driver to make sure he is taken care of. Small thing, takes less than 5 minutes.

I would give both of my on cars and my center manager the same amount of respect whether they are "on the clock" or on vacation.

brownrodster

I'd take friendly instructions from my on cars or center manager no problem if they were on vacation.

But if any PT sup or someone just claiming to be a UPS sup told me to do something I'd tell them to go friend themselves.

tarbar66

Full-time management are on the clock 24/7.
Would not advise to disobey their instructions.

Wise words from the Hoaxster. I knew management people that were always on the clock 24/7 too. I sure hated it when they left for greener pastures. Their replacements did not bleed brown.

D

Dis-organized Labor

A few weeks back, an on-road supervisor who happened to be on vacation, asked me to redeliver a ni1 nda package. Now if I, would have said no, could that have come under not working as directed?

The question is, does a manager have supervisor authority over an employee at all times?

Don't want to reveal who I am, but I am in mgmt. In the airline, we answer calls and respond to any issue regardless of the time or if on vacation, weekend, etc. 24/7 at all times if our expertise is needed.

It may not seem like it sometimes, but we strive to make service whenever it can be safely, legally and otherwise done.

I realize that it seems like mgmt. wants to move volume, regardless of regs. and other type issues, but we also have a responsibility to protect our operating certificate. Most of us are technoids; and our people skills are "least-best" as our strengths are innovation, multi-tasking (not by choice either!!), and creativity.

On a personal and professional level, I want to be the guy that fixes problems, makes things happen, and avoids delays and Out Of Service Events. (OOS).

At the end of each day, I go home, ready to be called to assist as much as I can and then do it all over again the following morning.

I like to think I'm old school UPS; and I am very proud of that distinction. I started when the airline started in 1988. Still a newbie, but committed to service excellence; whether at UPS or the several other airlines I passed through untiul I found a "home".

Believe me, I'm not patting myself on my own back, but I just want to explain what a mgmt. person (sep sup / sup/ center manager / DM / above is beyond my comprehension) does on a minute-by-minute basis.

Now, are some driven by fear of the Boss? Are some driven by the strong work ethic of a UPSer? Are some driven by greed?

I want to make a lot more $$$ than I do and it simply cannot be done in a Corporate structure.

I'm rambling.....

Thanks for BC..

Best Regards,

DOL

UPSSOCKS

A few weeks back, an on-road supervisor who happened to be on vacation, asked me to redeliver a ni1 nda package. Now if I, would have said no, could that have come under not working as directed?

The question is, does a manager have supervisor authority over an employee at all times?

What's all the commotion about? It's the right thing to do? If Hitler woke from the dead and asked you to redeliver that package you should of. We have a committment to our customers. Our customers that keep us employed. Do you think Jim Casey would of tried to redeliver that package? Your damn right he would of. In my neck of the woods all the air pieces that miss the pull time for the air trailer, get loaded into the trunk of a part time sup's car. Then that young man drives as fast as he can to the airport to honor our committment to our customers...

SKAGITDRIVER

Did they call you on your personel cell phone? or send you a message via diad? there lies the difference and how big your cajones are. I once saw a supervisor at a Mariner's game who was always a real jerk at work and he said something to me to be cute and I told him to "friend" Off in a loud voice he walked away

SKAGITDRIVER

What's all the commotion about? It's the right thing to do? If Hitler woke from the dead and asked you to redeliver that package you should of. We have a committment to our customers. Our customers that keep us employed. Do you think Jim Casey would of tried to redeliver that package? Your damn right he would of. In my neck of the woods all the air pieces that miss the pull time for the air trailer, get loaded into the trunk of a part time sup's car. Then that young man drives as fast as he can to the airport to honor our committment to our customers...
I hope a greivance is filed on this transporting packages is union work

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did they call you on your personel cell phone? or send you a message via diad? there lies the difference and how big your cajones are. I once saw a supervisor at a Mariner's game who was always a real jerk at work and he said something to me to be cute and I told him to "friend" Off in a loud voice he walked away

I guess we know who the real man is now.

UPSSOCKS

And a grievance is filled out daily for that, correct?

It's actually a covert mission. No one even knows its going on. Anyhow I've said it before so I will reiterate it again. "NO ONE DOES UNION WORK BETTER, THAN A PART TIME SUPERVISOR." This is why i ask a part time supervisor to drive the packages to the airport. If a union employee did it with a sense of urgency like the part time supervisor does, I would alternate and ask a Union employee one day and a part time supervisor the next. You see times are tough. It's cheaper and more efficient for the company to have to part time supervisor do it.

D

Dis-organized Labor

It's actually a covert mission. No one even knows its going on. Anyhow I've said it before so I will reiterate it again. "NO ONE DOES UNION WORK BETTER, THAN A PART TIME SUPERVISOR." This is why i ask a part time supervisor to drive the packages to the airport. If a union employee did it with a sense of urgency like the part time supervisor does, I would alternate and ask a Union employee one day and a part time supervisor the next. You see times are tough. It's cheaper and more efficient for the company to have to part time supervisor do it.

Isn't there some legality with a unionized person using a private vehicle for this sort of thing while on the clock?

rocket man

I guess i would ask you union. You have brought up a good subject.if you see asupervisor running missloads doing a route when your on vaction I guess we are allowed o write a grievance even if your in a diffrent state then where you work . Would that be correct.? IM NOT BEING WISE ON THIS I ALSO WANT TO KNOW/

over9five

Staff member

So you admit to being unethical? I think that is mentioned in the UPS Code of Business Conduct. You know that is hourly work.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So you admit to being unethical? I think that is mentioned in the UPS Code of Business Conduct. You know that is hourly work.

Do you think a pitcher is being unethical when he deceives the runner into thinking he going towards home when he is going towards 1st?
Baseball rules prohibit the deceiving of the runner.

I know I hate those unethical quarterbacks when they fake the ball to the running back and then run for themselves.

Let see how many other analogies we can come up with that are accepted, nay even applauded, in everyday life.

UPSSOCKS

Ethical companies don't survive 100 years. Ethical managers don't make it. If I was ethical, I would still be a part time unload supervisor. The code is just like religion, it's only there for people that need it. I have my own code of Buisness Conduct. It's called, "Get the job done, and make the customers happy." In the end the only thing that matters is happy customers. The customers keep all of us employed. If a customer pays for next day air they don't care how it gets there and neither do I. 99.9% of the next day air left in buildings are Teamster mistakes, for that I take matters into my own hands.

UPSSOCKS

Besides I am pretty sure managment can move a package to save it from missing service. I just happen to find parcels in need of service in between sorts when no union personell is around....