Can a supervisor, manage while off duty?

KidUPS

Full-time management are on the clock 24/7.
Would not advise to disobey their instructions.

I am part time and literally can receive phone calls 24/7! My lead will sometimes give me a call before my shift starts to try and clear up some e-mails or issues that occurred the previous night. Maybe one phone call everyone so often during the week. My operation ends around 12 and requires reports and the like to be done until 2. Normally a team of two supervisors handle the shift, managing their hours and both putting their share of operation and office work in. However, sometimes during a long night, the night supervisor might need some questions answered and might call at around 3am to get some info. I normally answer based entirely on the fact that we rely so much on each other as pt supervisors (just the way the full timer runs his sups, to lead on their own), and I would hope that he would answer my text or call if I had a question I needed help with.

We then have an employee working early am hours following up with customers who sometimes needs a little help...

In UPS I Stand.......charge....!!

D

Dis-organized Labor

Sorry it was late and a pretty lame attempt.
I realized they were not very good analogies ... that is why I asked if
"Let see how many other analogies we can come up with that are accepted, nay even applauded, in everyday life."

Maybe I'll think of some better ones today.

What about when you throw your dog a stick, which is he normally returns and then one time it is not returned? UNETHICAL!

What about when someone says: "I'll get right back to you"; then doesn't get back to you in the time frame that you consider to be "Right Back"? UNETHICAL!

Pretty bad, but that's all I can think of

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yet, drivers are required to be ethical- that's fine with me. I won't lower my standards just to move up the ladder.

Its not bad. After a while you don't even realize it.
Probably like when your wife married you ... she probably thinks you're an alright guy now. :happy-very:

Todd Snider--Alright Guy

raceanoncr

In my neck of the woods all the air pieces that miss the pull time for the air trailer, get loaded into the trunk of a part time sup's car. Then that young man drives as fast as he can to the airport to honor our committment to our customers...

This has GOT to be right out of the '88 playbook, cuz I ain't seen this done in more than 20 years! "...all the air pieces that miss the pull time for the air trailer" just get missed! Period! "We'll play the claim". Period!

raceanoncr

These young sups, like me, don't have a clue because UPS teaches them to be nice and fills their heads with happy thoughts. I've devoted the first ten months of the year to corrupting them and being an ass on BC one at a time.

Nice, SOCKS, Real nice!

Last edited:

UPS Lifer

Who are you? You're a UPS supervisor? How can I be sure? I don't recognize you! Where's your ID? How do I know that you're not a FedEx spy?

Article 20, section 5 of the UPS National Master Agreement states:
"All management personnel shall wear a name tag identifying them as supervision while on duty."

I've seen drivers refuse to speak to visiting management because they weren't wearing a name tag, even a Keter auditor! That takes balls!

I would redeliver it, then cover my ass and inform my supervisor what went down, stand back and enjoy the fireworks as egos clash.

But you said he asked you. That takes on a new light. I have to make the assumption that he didn't order you. I would do him the favor as a professional courtesy. I'd do it for another hourly without a squabble, why not management? After all, he may have a long memory and a short fuse. Your paths may cross again in the future. I'd still let my supervisor know.

Let's face it.... there are some people who just don't know how to deal with others. They can be on a power trip - but you are the one who is most likely going to suffer from it.

1. Treat this person like you would any other customer. BE POLITE and RESPECTFUL.
2. Ask for ID
3. If you did something that was not right - politely apologize and ensure the management person it will be corrected.
4. If the person has showed you identification and that they are a UPS management person and has instructed you to do something that will take you off plan - contact your supervisor immediately. You are responsible to your immediate center team not somebody like me! ...Except as noted below.

Something to remember - If you are doing something wrong especially if it is safety related, this person will probably call it in.

Anytime I saw something while on vacation and out of my own district, I would just let the driver know who I was and suggest they try an alternative to what they were doing. I would only interact if there was a problem with safety or security. The key to ensuring cooperation is to treat the driver with dignity and respect.

If the driver was in my district - I would give them instructions and expect them to follow those instructions or we could call his supervisor directly. If the driver failed to listen to me than I would take whatever steps I needed to to ensure this would not happen again.

Bottom line - MOST mgmt on vacation or retired will not bother you unless you are really doing something wrong - The most you will get is " HI - I am a UPS ___ from ____ " or they want to take a picture of your truck. So either you are dealing with the egotist or you need to fix something ...

So - be cautious... This was a great question to ask!!!

UPS Lifer

I'd take friendly instructions from my on cars or center manager no problem if they were on vacation.

But if any PT sup or someone just claiming to be a UPS sup told me to do something I'd tell them to go friend themselves.

Just curious would you tell a customer to go friend themselves???????????

raceanoncr

Hey, folks, this is GOOD!

Check out my rep and see what comment UPSSOCKS left for me when he -repped me. You think his little feelings are hurt?

I like it when somebody can demean, be condescending, arrogant and just plain stupid then TRY to turn the tables and say this! Funny!!!

Brownnblue

Check out my rep and see what comment UPSSOCKS left for me when he -repped me. You think his little feelings are hurt?

ROTFLOL!!

Too Much!!

I guess 99.9% of your comments got under his skin. However, like his sloppy statistical theories, nothing can be proved.

But if I was the designated hitter, and it was the fourth inning, and it was being played on AstroTurf, and runners were in scoring position, and the wind was blowing in from left field at 5 MPH.................................

D

Dis-organized Labor

Slander??

I think it would be libel. It's definitely accurate, though.