Can a temporary driver position turn into a permanent

havefaith

My husband has been a preloader for 4.5 years. He put his name on a sign up sheet for temporary drivers. He was called today for the position. Can any of you tell me the posibility of this becoming a permanent position? He has a friend/t job that he will have to leave for this and we cannot be without that income. I am hopeful it will be permanent!!

Thanks!!

upschick95

Awwwww i dont know about that. I'm concerned that he signed the coveage driver sign up sheet and not the full time driver sheet. The full time sheet would be how to get on permanently and is what they would go by.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
My husband has been a preloader for 4.5 years. He put his name on a sign up sheet for temporary drivers. He was called today for the position. Can any of you tell me the posibility of this becoming a permanent position? He has a friend/t job that he will have to leave for this and we cannot be without that income. I am hopeful it will be permanent!! Thanks!!
He'll make more money and the time he spends as a cover driver will go towards his 3 year progression if he's ever made a driver. However, he'll probably be sent back into the building after peak season and will stay there at least until April/May.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
He will more than likely go back to part time in January. If he really tears it up though it could at least get them to hire quicker when he has enough seniority.

havefaith

Thank you for your input!!
He did sign up on a drivers sheet and this temp sheet. I guess they filled the perm position. If he turns it down will that make it look bad and prolong his waiting to be a driver even more? If only we were younger with less bills and no kids...then we could take chances like this!

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Temp drivers are just that...temps. Until he has enough seniority and signs a regular bid, there's no guarantee that it will be a full time position.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's all based on seniority if a junior person is seasonal and they hire him full time. Your husband could file a grievance over that and get a chance to drive. This is only if he is on the full time driver bid sheet though. He should know most of this being there as long as he has.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Thank you for your input!! He did sign up on a drivers sheet and this temp sheet. I guess they filled the perm position. If he turns it down will that make it look bad and prolong his waiting to be a driver even more? If only we were younger with less bills and no kids...then we could take chances like this!
Declining a bid job might make you 'look' bad - but fortunately, as a Teamster, your manager's opinion doesn't really mean a damn thing. :)

jaker

trolling
yeah i passed up all kinds of temp driving jobs , i told myself i am not driving unless it is full time because i have a family to take care , if it is not full time driving job i would pass it up the only thing good about it is it will start his progession pay

so when he does go driving he will be at top pay quicker then if he waits till he goes full time