Can an employer regulate the number of bathroom breaks that workers take?

oldngray

nowhere special
Company Limits Worker Bathroom Use to 6 Minutes a Day, Union Claims

Can an employer regulate the number of bathroom breaks that workers take?

A Teamsters union in Chicago thinks not and claims workers have been disciplined for taking what the company says is an "excessive" number of breaks. Teamsters Local 743 filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board last month and is awaiting a response from WaterSaver Faucet Company.

https://gma.yahoo.com/company-limit...ion-201335976--abc-news-personal-finance.html

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I actually had a co worker tell me yesterday. "What we don't have to clock out on break to use the bathroom?"

I said uh no. If I think it's gonna be an excessive stop I take break. 90% of the time I'm in and out in under 5 minutes. Not taking break for that.

fres431

You beat me to it..I seen and read that earlier today..I had supervisors in pass follow me to the base of the stairs to see if I was really going to the head..I don't see how they can regulate it..I mean if ya in there 10mins at a time there is a problem

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
I actually had a co worker tell me yesterday. "What we don't have to clock out on break to use the bathroom?"

I said uh no. If I think it's gonna be an excessive stop I take break. 90% of the time I'm in and out in under 5 minutes. Not taking break for that.

I agree. A quick piss is on the clock. If you are taking long dumps to milk the clock then it should be on your break time.

oldngray

nowhere special
The company installed a bathroom tracking system, in which employees swipe their ID cards to get into the bathroom, earlier this year.
Union members say that last month, managers began routinely disciplining workers who were using the bathroom more than 6 minutes per day.

"They offered $1 per day for anyone who doesn’t go to the bathroom at all," said Nick Kreitman, senior business agent for Teamsters Local 743. So far, 19 people have been disciplined, with written or oral warnings, he said.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...plaint-20140710_1_bathroom-union-cries-breaks

Nimnim

The Nim
There are some days where I'm having to hit the bathroom multiple times during my shift and there are times where I don't have to go during the shift days on end. Most of us are probably the same, and we're not the issue, even if there was an avg 6 minute a day allotment.

I'm sure we all know of some people, who don't have an actual medical condition, who routinely abuse the restroom to avoid working. To those with a medical condition, yeah some of us can be immature about it, but most of us don't really care.

I don't really see a system such as this working out in the long term, sure enough some are tempted by the potential extra pay for not using the bathroom on the clock, but over time it won't amount to much money. The article stated up to $20 a month, personally less than $1 a day is probably what I'd make using the bathroom on the clock anyways. If I use the bathroom outside of a break on the clock and it takes more than 3 minutes, between clearing my system and then washing my hands, then I've made more on the clock then the bonus provided for not using the bathroom on the clock. Not to mention there's the occasional time I get something on me and need to run to the bathroom to wash it off.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Restricting employees' usage of restroom facilities should immediately earn the employer a house call from OSHA.

I seem to have this fight with management every few months, it goes away, and then it comes back again. It doesn't help that I work in a state that doesn't mandate break periods and thus PT'ers aren't entitled to any breaks at all (even if working 10+ hours straight during peak).

There are people who abuse going to the bathroom and then goof off/wander around the hub/go to the break room/etc. multiple times a day but that's going to be at any job and they're in the minority. They should be addressed individually, but I guess it's a universal rule of management to try and :censored2: with the entire workforce over a problem generated by less than 5% of the employees.

UPS WORKHORSE

I once had a supervisor try to fire me for using the restroom, just a quick piss, without permission. I tried to let her know I had to go, out of courtesy, but she was nowhere to be found. My shop Stewart put her in her place and the full time sup. Ups got sued because an employee peed himself because ups wouldn't let him use the bathroom.

Sent using BrownCafe App

wornoutupser

You beat me to it..I seen and read that earlier today..I had supervisors in pass follow me to the base of the stairs to see if I was really going to the head..I don't see how they can regulate it..I mean if ya in there 10mins at a time there is a problem

I have actually had a supervisor FOLLOW me to the urinal twice.

I told him " thanks, but I am not interested in you."!

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...reaks-that-workers-take.357229/#ixzz37yE8UxN4

Work safe or not at all.

As a steward, I have had a manager come up to me, show me his watch, and say that an employee had been in the bathroom for 9 minutes.
My response?
I don't care.
He walked off muttering some :censored2:.

File early, file often.