Can Anyone help- need quick answer 7:45AM 12/24/11

FromPA

Christmas Eve I am on call: (even though I am 9th from the top in senority (26 years in). I called in, and was told to hold. While on hold I heard the supervisor say to "Joe" - "you got the day off". "Joe" is at least 10 people below me in senority if not more. So when the supervisor came back he said "your on." I said "what the hell? You just told Joe he has off, he's below me. The supervisor said "today has nothing to do with senority, its based on area knowledge, start time is 8AM" (30 minutes lafter) Is what he is saying true? And of course the union stewart is not answering phone. Anyone got an answer? Appreciate it.

Last edited:

FromPA

Put up with enough crap from supervisors don't need it from you on Christmas Eve. Just asking a question. If you can't offer any help why not just shut the hell up.

"You better hustle if you're going to make that 8:15 start time."

Raw

Raw Member
Christmas Eve I am on call: (even though I am 9th from the top in senority (26 years in). I called in, and was told to hold. While on hold I heard the supervisor say to "Joe" - "you got the day off". "Joe" is at least 10 people below me in senority if not more. So when the supervisor came back he said "your on." I said "what the hell? You just told Joe he has off, he's below me. The supervisor said "today has nothing to do with senority, its based on area knowledge, start time is 8AM" (30 minutes lafter) Is what he is saying true? And of course the union stewart is not answering phone. Anyone got an answer? Appreciate it.
No one at your hub is making decisions, they are instructed to do what they do. merry Christmas

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
You better hustle if you're going to make that 8:15 start time.

You just made me spill my cup of JOE. (no pun intended).

What I've learned is area knowledge can sometimes B a bad thing.

My centers start time is still pending. Not cool. Relaxed commit but screwed on start time 2 make up the deifference.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Sorry frompa. Just grieve it later dude. We got a lota upset drivers here as well. Hope your day goes well.

My kids R confussed right now. Excited to C me home this morning but I told them I gotta go to work but I don't now when.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What happened to 24 hrs notice for start times? Tell them to pound sand I'll see ya Tuesday.

You know as well as anyone that the 24 hour notice does not apply on days such as today.

I just called in and they said that they had about 1/2 of the expected volume and that they would be using casuals and air drivers. I would have like to have worked today but it is 9 degrees out so I am not that upset about it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps "Joe" was out of hours and the OP isn't. I am in a pretty big Center with lots of seniority, so I just laughed when my Supervisor asked me if I wanted to work today. I was the top driver/helper team in my Center again and we ran more stops per hour than drivers half my age. I paid my low seniority dues a long time ago, this was my 37th peak.

bumped

You know as well as anyone that the 24 hour notice does not apply on days such as today.

I just called in and they said that they had about 1/2 of the expected volume and that they would be using casuals and air drivers. I would have like to have worked today but it is 9 degrees out so I am not that upset about it.

You seemed pretty upset about not working last week.