Can Driver Helpers keep their job after seasonal?

IonosIcky

Hello, my name is Emmanuel. I worked for UPS as a driver helper about a year ago in California during the seasonal time.

I was told that it was only going to be until the end of the month, and i didn't mind because i had school--i just wanted some pocket cash.

Now that Christmas is around the corner i wanted to do the same thing and work part time for Christmas, but i enjoyed the job so much last time that i wouldn't mind doing it more. So my question is- Is there any way i can stay on after Christmas? Part time, full time, it doesn't matter. Any and all info will be much appreciated.

I've looked over the internet here and there and nothing really gave me a definite answer. I saw some people say they've worked before after seasonal, but i figured i'd give it a shot and ask here.

Thank you ahead of time!

barnyard

KTM rider
That would be a fantastic question to ask if you are interviewed. You could also google it. Heck Ups even has a facebook page that could answer the same.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Sure, you can keep your job! What job were you doing before you became a drivers helper? I'm sure they will take you back.

Box Ox

Let your HR person or point of contact know right now that you've been a helper before and know you'll want to go for a permanent position after the holidays and you'll bust your butt to be first in line for one. They will seek out feedback from drivers about how you did. Also make note of what hubs/centers are in your area and tell HR you'd be a handler at any of them.

One problem you might run into is that seasonal handlers are already working/being trained up to load the additional holiday season routes and temporarily replace any permanent handlers who will be out temp driving. They're basically competing for permanent PT slots inside too. And the inside sups will probably look to keep them on before pulling from former driver helper ranks. Might be a few months into the new year before you get a shot at anything.

MassWineGuy

The seasonal driver's helper jobs must end on Dec. 24th under the contract, I believe. Getting another UPS job from there is another matter.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In my hub, as a seasonal hire you will be asked to sign a ups form stating that you are aware that it's a seasonal position and will be let go after dec 25th (or jan 15th i think depending on your local). To become a permanent PTer, you will have to apply online when positions become available...usually late march or april.