Can EAM drivers file 9.5 papers to keep hours down?

Bad Gas!

They dont have to get you in early just because you started early. You can file and collect but they can still, load you up. And if you bid another route, which routes, dont come open often, you will probably get loaded up on another route. Pick your poison.....Most open routes suck worse..

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
To me the most important fact in this case is that this early am work was part of the route that the company bid to the OP.
With this in mind; the eam work is not extra work, rather part of the bid job.
Had he been awarded the work as extra work by seniority the compoany would have a valid point.
Minus a disclaimer when the route was bid, I see no reason why he should not be covered by the 9.5 language applicable in his area.

Bad Gas!

To me the most important fact in this case is that this early am work was part of the route that the company bid to the OP.
With this in mind; the eam work is not extra work, rather part of the bid job.
Had he been awarded the work as extra work by seniority the compoany would have a valid point.
Minus a disclaimer when the route was bid, I see no reason why he should not be covered by the 9.5 language applicable in his area.

I agreed with this young fellow..

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
All I can say is that being forced to work overtime is B.S. We all know that we don't have a real choice in this matter cause, after all we knew what we were getting into as a UPS driver.

But, it's still B.S.

I see these routes that are never gonna clean 9.5 or less, and I see routes that are as it should be, 8-9 hr days and dispatched good were you could actually set your watch by driver.

Why do we put up with jacked up routes. Why do we and union not have any influence to fix these routes with splits from a dissolved route that screws a guy the rest of his career.

Forced O.T. periodically because of tough curcumstances is 1 matter, but forced daily is B.S.

Why do fulltimers make $30+ hr? Because of the B.S.

Why does UPS increase stops per car, trash time allowance, cut routes and run drivers ragged late? Because of $30+hr pay.

they want more, we want more. it keeps going back and forth.

in 10+ yrs we will all be making $50+hr and running 300 stops in 8 hrs. and dispatched 11+hr days on light days.

B.S.

Next contract UNION NEEDS BIGGER BALLS. Focus on more routes, less work hrs, less sphor(SAFETY), and stop focusing on pay.

Only the ones who want O.T. should be getting it. Top paid drivers don't need O.T. & most don't want it.

I see routes were they lighten when certain favorites run it, but when another driver runs it, they add other areas on it and pick -ups and say the time allowed to do it is at a low amount.

We should all get hrs like UPSTATENYUPSER. (no offence to you, just saying you have what seems like a dream route).

If you start early, you should be done early.

2013 is getting closer. Do you know what you want to fight for in your future.

I want a fair check and to be home at a decent time with family. live withen the means of a 40hr check and be happy.

How many of us UNION GUYS ARE THERE in UPS??? Why can't we get this done??? We been dropping the ball and lossing the game for a long time.

Stop focusing on pay and focus on better work hrs. and dispatch with real strong enforcement to hold to a FAIR DAYS WORK!!!!!!!!!!!

Push against this wall of boxes or we'll all be left with all the $$$ in the world and no family time to enjoy it!!

40 hr work week and some exceptions but nothing more.

If anyone talks about needing O.T. then you don't know how to budget. This O.T. does effect safety in a negative and effects personal life. We are drivers and so Safety is a BIG ISSUE & O.T. for drivers should be scorned at least for public safety!!!

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
If you start Early, You should B done early.

Screw them. They're the ones who want their cake!!!! They should know better that with the UPS store on you, you'll never clean any earlier and so they jack up your dispatch. The drivers starting late should be doing the later pick-ups.

To me, thats Logistics.

B.S. love the $,hate the B.S.

It doesn't matter if they take work off your morning or late evening. They still have to add E.A.M. or UPS store to another driver.

If other drivers are starting later and done earlier then shouldn't one of them take the UPS-store?

It's either a.m. or p.m. removed from you and put on another driver.

If you are Senior driver shouldn't it be your choice. Seniority rules!!!

Can't wait till I'm an old man!!! (just joking)

scottneedsthis

What changed my mind is the fact that your center manager tried to work with you and reduce your paid day.

You are filing for excessive hours---you're center manager agreed with you and offered to take away your EAM work, which would bring you under 9.5--you refused--you now have no basis for a grievance.

If you do file Monday morning you can count on your start time being changed as you will no longer have EAM's to deliver.

It's my understanding that EAM is my position and management can't change my start time. Managers don't have that option. Otherwise they would have already because I've tried everyday to get my hours down to at least only 10-10.5. If I do file a grievance, they can't change my start time either, at least the way I understand it.

Bad Gas!

...which is most certainly your right.....but how are you going to justify the 9.5 grievance? Your center manager agreed with you and offered to reduce your paid day--you refused.

I went back and re-read the post by Bad Gas. The difference between that situation and yours is your center manager tried to reduce your paid day.

You have no basis for a 9.5 grievance.

Please let us know how this works out for you. Dave.

Upstate is -1...he is wrong..Unless you show up late consistantly to start EAM route, they cant take away your bid start. ..They have probably 3 runners who could make that UPS but they get off before you to be with their families... Guess what, you have a family too. You start early because you want off early...You get out of bed while the other drivers are sleeping an extra 2 hours...Some things will never be fair..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate is -1...he is wrong..Unless you show up late consistantly to start EAM route, they cant take away your bid start. ..They have probably 3 runners who could make that UPS but they get off before you to be with their families... Guess what, you have a family too. You start early because you want off early...You get out of bed while the other drivers are sleeping an extra 2 hours...Some things will never be fair..

The problem with this thread is the OP keeps adding stuff along the way. When I first read it I also thought the EAM was part of the route that he bid but he later admits that the EAM became available after he had bid on this route. When he went to his center manager to complain about the excessive hours the center manager offered to take the EAM work off, which the OP declined. IMO this takes away any basis he may have had for a grievance.

The fair thing to do would be to either take off the EAM work or to have another driver close out the UPS Store.

I agree that if you start early you should get done early but he bid the route as is and then added the EAM work. If the hours are too much he should ask that the route be dispatched as originally bid without the EAM work.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I understand your desire to shorten your day. You didn't post anything about the issue in your first post, though. I am curious why.

11-13-2010 10:46 PM
scottneedsthis

[h=2]Re: Whats up with the Preload?[/h]
The actual pre-load is....(Not the fantasy IE thinks it is) See the truck....put parcels in there. Try to get them on the correct shelf. Don't worry about facing the bar code with address on it. The driver can sort them, since he makes more. Off the slide, out of mind. Since the drivers make more, ignore them. The pre-load communication in the DIAD is never read by managers so keep your pre-load supervisor happy, don't worry about the driver, he makes more. Drivers who ask for corrections in their load are mostly ignored. Managers are only there to massage the situation that is by default set up to fail. The burden is on the drivers because they get in trouble for not delivering mis-loads, not the loader. Since drivers make good money, they should take what is shoved in their truck. Don't concern yourself that the driver gets heat for going in the hole for bad loads, he makes more. There're no substantial penalties for the pre-loader's bad loads, but the driver will get lots of heat for going in the hole because of bad loads. It's the driver problem, not the loaders, since he makes more. As a 27 year driver this is how I see it. I loaded for 2 years so I know. The new technology doesn't load the parcels, it only puts on the shelf # and the sequence # on the parcel. But the load time is cut. Plus, the PAL label is not placed in the same place consistently so the pre-loader (and the driver sometimes) has to waste time looking for it. Big mistake. This makes the loader not as careful placing the bar code with the address on it faced properly, since the loader wants to see the PAL label next time he comes in to see what order to place next parcel. I have, talked to pre-loader, with respect, no improvement. I have talked to pre-load sup, no improvement. I have been told by a pre-load sup, "I guess I need to watch the video again" Mostly, pre-load supervisors are bodies there with clipboards not knowing how to load themselves. When I try to get my load improved, I'm labeled a "picky" driver. I have given up after 27 years of trying to get better loads. I've only had good loads 4 years out of the last 27. But hey, I'm paid lots to get it shoved in........the truck.​

scottneedsthis

The problem with this thread is the OP keeps adding stuff along the way. When I first read it I also thought the EAM was part of the route that he bid but he later admits that the EAM became available after he had bid on this route. When he went to his center manager to complain about the excessive hours the center manager offered to take the EAM work off, which the OP declined. IMO this takes away any basis he may have had for a grievance.

The fair thing to do would be to either take off the EAM work or to have another driver close out the UPS Store.

I agree that if you start early you should get done early but he bid the route as is and then added the EAM work. If the hours are too much he should ask that the route be dispatched as originally bid without the EAM work.
I see why you thought I was "adding stuff along the way". I've never heard of EAM being "part of the route". There is no driver who has a route where EAM is part of the route they bid on in my hub. (If there is, I'm not aware of it) Our hub has had EAM's for only the past 20 months or so 5 days a week. Before that, it was only on Mondays. I assumed when I wrote I did EAM work that the work situation was the same everywhere as my hub. I didn't know other hubs have EAM's as part of a route. Before I did EAM, I saw the other 2 EAM drivers getting off with 9.5-10 hours or so, sometimes earlier, I wanted the same thing. I saw managers work with the guy I replaced to get his paid day reduced. The other EAM driver in my center also got some pick-ups the on-road sup was trying to add to her route removed. I thought I'd get the same courtesy. But I was mistaken. Thank's for your honest opinion. I see your point.

scottneedsthis

I understand your desire to shorten your day. You didn't post anything about the issue in your first post, though. I am curious why.
I wasn't doing EAM back then. I did EAM for a short time back in the summer of 2010 and was getting off with 9.5 hour days, and less, but for only a short time, because I got bumped by a more senior driver. I got off earlier for the short time I did EAM's back then because I only had my core route that I've delivered for 23 years, and back then it was much easier to find other drivers who could pick up The UPS Store. But now, I have lost a huge chunk of my residential core area to the "A" route, and the "C" route is dissolved into me with its commercial stops are which means more heavier, larger, pieces. My stop count stays the same and much slower to get off.
11-13-2010 10:46 PM
scottneedsthis
Re: Whats up with the Preload?

The actual pre-load is....(Not the fantasy IE thinks it is) See the truck....put parcels in there. Try to get them on the correct shelf. Don't worry about facing the bar code with address on it. The driver can sort them, since he makes more. Off the slide, out of mind. Since the drivers make more, ignore them. The pre-load communication in the DIAD is never read by managers so keep your pre-load supervisor happy, don't worry about the driver, he makes more. Drivers who ask for corrections in their load are mostly ignored. Managers are only there to massage the situation that is by default set up to fail. The burden is on the drivers because they get in trouble for not delivering mis-loads, not the loader. Since drivers make good money, they should take what is shoved in their truck. Don't concern yourself that the driver gets heat for going in the hole for bad loads, he makes more. There're no substantial penalties for the pre-loader's bad loads, but the driver will get lots of heat for going in the hole because of bad loads. It's the driver problem, not the loaders, since he makes more. As a 27 year driver this is how I see it. I loaded for 2 years so I know. The new technology doesn't load the parcels, it only puts on the shelf # and the sequence # on the parcel. But the load time is cut. Plus, the PAL label is not placed in the same place consistently so the pre-loader (and the driver sometimes) has to waste time looking for it. Big mistake. This makes the loader not as careful placing the bar code with the address on it faced properly, since the loader wants to see the PAL label next time he comes in to see what order to place next parcel. I have, talked to pre-loader, with respect, no improvement. I have talked to pre-load sup, no improvement. I have been told by a pre-load sup, "I guess I need to watch the video again" Mostly, pre-load supervisors are bodies there with clipboards not knowing how to load themselves. When I try to get my load improved, I'm labeled a "picky" driver. I have given up after 27 years of trying to get better loads. I've only had good loads 4 years out of the last 27. But hey, I'm paid lots to get it shoved in........the truck.

UPSGUY72

I see why you thought I was "adding stuff along the way". I've never heard of EAM being "part of the route". There is no driver who has a route where EAM is part of the route they bid on in my hub. (If there is, I'm not aware of it) Our hub has had EAM's for only the past 20 months or so 5 days a week. Before that, it was only on Mondays. I assumed when I wrote I did EAM work that the work situation was the same everywhere as my hub. I didn't know other hubs have EAM's as part of a route. Before I did EAM, I saw the other 2 EAM drivers getting off with 9.5-10 hours or so, sometimes earlier, I wanted the same thing. I saw managers work with the guy I replaced to get his paid day reduced. The other EAM driver in my center also got some pick-ups the on-road sup was trying to add to her route removed. I thought I'd get the same courtesy. But I was mistaken. Thank's for your honest opinion. I see your point.

Do the other drivers have a pick up in there area on there route that is scheduled for 6:00 pm??

You bid on a route 23 years ago 23 years later the route like ever other route and every center has changed. If you don't want the OT bid another route I'm sure there are drivers in your center that would love that route. Or tell your SUP that someone else can have EAM's.

Your problem is your stuck on getting out of work around 4 pm or a little after. You want to design your own route so it benefits you and the company want to design a route that benefits them. They are going to win.

I sure they will make it so your under 9.5hr a day but they are going to take away your EAM's not the work you do after 4 pm.

scottneedsthis

Do the other drivers have a pick up in there area on there route that is scheduled for 6:00 pm??

You bid on a route 23 years ago 23 years later the route like ever other route and every center has changed. If you don't want the OT bid another route I'm sure there are drivers in your center that would love that route. Or tell your SUP that someone else can have EAM's.

Your problem is your stuck on getting out of work around 4 pm or a little after. You want to design your own route so it benefits you and the company want to design a route that benefits them. They are going to win.

I sure they will make it so your under 9.5hr a day but they are going to take away your EAM's not the work you do after 4 pm.

Yes, I think that may be what I'll have to do. But I'm going to hang tough for a while and see if I can't get my days down to 10-10.5 hours, which would have me working until 5-5:45 PM, which I would not complain about. (I originally wasn't pushing to get off at 4:15PM with my manager, which is 9.5 hours, but since I've been sent out with 11-12.5 days, I thought filing 9.5 was my only recourse to keep me under those 11-12 hour days.) Even if I work until 6PM with a 10.75, that would at least be better than 11-12.5 that I've had the last few weeks. It's frustrating to see lower seniority drivers come in before me when I'm punching out at 6:30-7:45 PM. If I were to start at my regular start time, 9.5 hours is a 7PM punch out, and I've been working past 7PM some days. I'm going to call my BA and ask if he can help me get off the clock before 7PM, ignoring the fact I do EAM, because 7PM is 9.5 hours if I started at my regular start time. As far as other drivers in area to make the pick up, yes, but with most drivers in my center pushing 9.5 and higher, they usually don't want to do it. I'm in a high residential delivery center, so drivers are routinely sent out heavy because there's no time commitment.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
No one should be giving this guy a bad time because he does not want to live in a brown truck. It sucks when you work for so many years with a company and they just keep pushing you into the meat grinder. Most places wont let you have a minute of overtime but not here. Seems like the more you don't want it or the older you get the more you are pushed. Sad when we have people laid off and making record profits that they can't put out more routes. Bet the numbers would come up along with the attitude and safety if they did. Need to have a take a suit to work week and have all salaried employees show us how it should be done. Might be a few more routes dispatched out when they are not playing ups on a computer monitor and see the real world.

yeldarb

When they bid our EAMs out, it was bid as extra work, so the routes it went to did not lose any work. They knew what they were doing when they bid it. Most guys like the extra hours, with getting home at the same time.