Can hall hold the fort without Hoffa Jr?

Irishman Collins

Did it bother me? No because the members thought that if they continued to vote "no" that they would be able to keep their healthcare, which was never an option in the first place. The IBT has to work for all of their members and they did the right thing by imposing the contract.
No, local 89 for example, had real issues such as the shuttling issue and had their right to vote taken away. There is no excuse for what happened and anyone international or local that supported this move needs to be sent packing.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm not going to get into a debate. Those companies you mentioned were poorly run business models. That coupled with a glut of non union competition. Wake up to these factories so you can look a little more informed.
First off, your voice to text is letting you down.
Secondly, would you be willing to pay dues if you were only getting one year of pension credit for every four years worked?
At some point you have to throw down and say enough is enough to company that still operates with a poor business model.
How long until YRC goes the way of Hostess as there Board of Directors bleed the company dry?
In the small package arena, UPS has no union competition, yet they still dominate?
Seems to me that almost unequivocally, the wrong move is being made every time.
First they let UPS buy out of Central States Pension, then they put us in the Central States Health and Welfare fund?
Seems very contradictory.

First off, your voice to text is letting you down.
Secondly, would you be willing to pay dues if you were only getting one year of pension credit for every four years worked?
At some point you have to throw down and say enough is enough to company that still operates with a poor business model.
How long until YRC goes the way of Hostess as there Board of Directors bleed the company dry?
In the small package arena, UPS has no union competition, yet they still dominate?
Seems to me that almost unequivocally, the wrong move is being made every time.
First they let UPS buy out of Central States Pension, then they put us in the Central States Health and Welfare fund?
Seems very contradictory.
Conspiracy theory.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Did it bother me? No because the members thought that if they continued to vote "no" that they would be able to keep their healthcare, which was never an option in the first place. The IBT has to work for all of their members and they did the right thing by imposing the contract.
I've been over this before. It was an option to negotiate healthcare in local supplements and riders.

Supplements and riders override the master. Hoffa imposed the contract because he was afraid that there would be too many employees not going into Teamcare if he allowed negotiations to continue on the unsettled supplements and riders.

Teamcare would then not be taking in enough contributions to keep it viable.

You need to read up on contract law. Look at the local in Akron, Ohio. They got to keep their medical and not go into Teamcare because of their rider. And Pat Darrow was pushing Teamcare and his members did not go into it.

In other words, it did bother me that Hoffa forced me into Teamcare when I had the legal right to not go into it if he allowed us to continue negotiating instead of "imposing" the contract.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

had real issues such as the shuttling issue
Everyone complained about the shuttling issue entering the building. If you entered into shuttle pick up location 20 minutes before start time, you got paid at start time whether or not you punched in on time because of the shuttle. It was already in their rider. If they chose not to enforce it, that is their problem.

I don't like the way contract went down, but it is what it is. Enforce what is in the contract.

Jim Rockford

Everyone complained about the shuttling issue entering the building. If you entered into shuttle pick up location 20 minutes before start time, you got paid at start time whether or not you punched in on time because of the shuttle. It was already in their rider. If they chose not to enforce it, that is their problem.

I guess if waiting around longer than 2 hours a week total without pay is your thing...which.... by the way...is going to get longer as they expand. You should get a bonus for riding that shuttle in and out every week.

upschuck

I guess if waiting around longer than 2 hours a week total without pay is your thing...which.... by the way...is going to get longer as they expand. You should get a bonus for riding that shuttle in and out every week.
You can put whatever in a contract, and if it is not enforced, then it means nothing.

upschuck

That part of the contract is enforced.
So, if they are getting paid to wait and ride the shuttle, what is the problem with the shuttle? I'm not saying there is no problems with this contract, but this issue was the predominant problem voiced by those who stated a problem.

I will let you have the last word, because I prefer not to rehash the same old arguments that have been stated before, with no possibility of anything being changed. During a time of possible changes, lets have at it, but after, let us all come together and stand united.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So, if they are getting paid to wait and ride the shuttle, what is the problem with the shuttle? I'm not saying there is no problems with this contract, but this issue was the predominant problem voiced by those who stated a problem.

I will let you have the last word, because I prefer not to rehash the same old arguments that have been stated before, with no possibility of anything being changed. During a time of possible changes, lets have at it, but after, let us all come together and stand united.
I agree. We can dump Hoffa and Hall in 2016 and make some contractual changes in 2018. Make the best of it for now and enforce what we have.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jim Rockford

Im not really arguing here. Just saying that the contract gives you 20 minutes to get there without an occurrence...you dont get paid for it. Assuming they install other wings as they expand....it'll become even more of a wait.

upschuck

The rider says differently
Any employeewho after badging in at the guard shack, rides

the shuttle, if the shuttle is available, and clocks in at their

work area, and is late as a result of a shuttle ride time of over

20 minutes, the employee will be paid from their regularly

scheduled start time
and not charged an occurrence.
Now enforce it.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
There are over 1 million other teamster that don't work for UPS. Most of them don't think to highly of ups or upsers not do they care what happened with out contract. They think we are spoiled and fat. Ask around at your next monthly meeting how bad they feel for us?

This matters, why? Are you suggesting we lower our expectations and our contracts to get to their level? We never asked them to feel bad for us.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Sure, until it goes against you. Then the bitching starts. It was a horrible precedent. PERIOD.