Can I actually get fired for this?!

stewardtwoniner

Please don't study at home. You are an hourly employee, and must be paid to learn this.

Y'all should be careful when you dispense these pearls of wisdom. The guy said he learned it in orientation. If he did and he passed the test then he got paid to learn it and now he needs to know it. If its new stuff then he should be paid to learn it. I'm guessing he was paid to learn it, had to know it to make his 30 days?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow I wasn't anticipating this reaction. I don't feel inadequate but thanks for asking.:happy2:

I just know that management at my center feels these slogans are incredibly important. The workers who can recite them are no more or less likely to be injured in my experience.

I just found it interesting that even though you aren't responsible for the safety of any employees that I know of, you also feel these slogans are necessary.

As far as having my doctor recite acronyms before trusting him to do surgery.. I think you are helping make my point. I will trust the doctor whose work proves his competence.

Every other sentence was about you (I), then that one you slip that one in and suddenly everyone is blanketed.

As much as I hate the safety push, OJS rides, oversupervision, harrassment, acroynms, memorization.. there is plenty of truth that most drivers who practice the safe work methods (and therefore memorized it to the degree they can explain it, or close), can benefit from it.

over9five

Staff member
Y'all should be careful when you dispense these pearls of wisdom. The guy said he learned it in orientation. If he did and he passed the test then he got paid to learn it and now he needs to know it. If its new stuff then he should be paid to learn it. I'm guessing he was paid to learn it, had to know it to make his 30 days?
And then what? Does it say in the contract he has to remember it verbatim forever? Shouldn't the knowledge be reinforced through paid training?
You sure you're a steward?

Asinine

And then what? Does it say in the contract he has to remember it verbatim forever? Shouldn't the knowledge be reinforced through paid training?

We CERTAINLY need more paid training if they expect everyone in the building to live and die by what he should be remembering according go them. I learned it orientation, but that doesn't mean it was learned properly. I can't exactly remember it all when we watched a video a day and were given the answers to our packets to save time by our orientation guide. Not to mention that's all I've gotten since then.

Re-Raise

Every other sentence was about you (I), then that one you slip that one in and suddenly everyone is blanketed.

As much as I hate the safety push, OJS rides, oversupervision, harrassment, acroynms, memorization.. there is plenty of truth that most drivers who practice the safe work methods (and therefore memorized it to the degree they can explain it, or close), can benefit from it.

What is your point with my post? Can I use the term MY post or does that make it all about me. I use the term I when I express an opinion because it indicates my personal experience.

Claiming that the ability to memorize safety slogans indicates that they will work safely makes no sense to me. Some people just memorize things better.

So the ability to remember that Aim High in Steering helps you with Safe Path on Turns instead of
Get the Big Picture which helps you with Smooth Stops and Turns somehow makes you a safer driver?

I can memorize this crap because it comes easier to me then most , but to fire a safe driver because of this is ridiculous.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What is your point with my post? Can I use the term MY post or does that make it all about me. I use the term I when I express an opinion because it indicates my personal experience.

Claiming that the ability to memorize safety slogans indicates that they will work safely makes no sense to me. Some people just memorize things better.

"I just know that management at my center feels these slogans are incredibly important. The workers who can recite them are no more or less likely to be injured in my experience."

Your experience is YOUR experience, not anyone else. You have zero idea how much safer or unsafe everyone else would be if they were using the methods 100% instead of 70 or 50 90%, that is my point. And if you can use them, you can probably make a reasonable effort to verbally say them.

P.S. I just saw a cover driver RUN down the driveway across the street after throwing it into the side door area.

What a way to make a fair days work look bad.

Re-Raise

"I just know that management at my center feels these slogans are incredibly important. The workers who can recite them are no more or less likely to be injured in my experience."

Your experience is YOUR experience, not anyone else. You have zero idea how much safer or unsafe everyone else would be if they were using the methods 100% instead of 70 or 50 90%, that is my point.

P.S. I just saw a cover driver RUN down the driveway across the street after throwing it into the side door area.

What a way to make a fair days work look bad.

So I shouldn't post based on my experience? That is all I can post on. Who has enough knowledge to post things in your opinion?

My point .. if it is okay with you for me to express it.. is that some people at my center that can recite them don't necessarily practice them and some people who aren't good at memorization do practice them in principle.

Re-Raise

Your experience is YOUR experience, not anyone else. You have zero idea how much safer or unsafe everyone else would be if they were using the methods 100% instead of 70 or 50 90%, that is my point. And if you can use them, you can probably make a reasonable effort to verbally say them.

What do you do for UPS? Reasonable effort to verbally say them? Is that your opinion because that isn't what the OP is being asked for.

stewardtwoniner

contract does not say you should have to know anything you do verbatim including your job. But you and I know the company will bust your but if you don't do your job like you were trained.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Even if he was paid to know it and passed it 100% in orientation that does not mean he must now be able to recite it 100%. We are not robots and cannot possibly remember every word perfectly in this safety drivel. You need to try your best to answer the questions but cannot be fired for not knowing them perfectly. If they are unhappy with your performance then they should pay you to learn them, It is no different than any other training. Contractually they must pay you for all time speny training.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Given a sufficient supply of time and crackers, you could probably train a parakeet to recite the Ten Point Commentary and score 100% on a DOK test.

I myself cannot recite the Ten Point Commentary or score 100% on a DOK test. But in the 26 years that I have had a drivers license...23 of which I have spent as a full time UPS driver... I have never been in a traffic accident or had a moving violation.

Who would you prefer to have driving a package car on the same road that you are on?

Re-Raise

Given a sufficient supply of time and crackers, you could probably train a parakeet to recite the Ten Point Commentary and score 100% on a DOK test.

I myself cannot recite the Ten Point Commentary or score 100% on a DOK test. But in the 26 years that I have had a drivers license...23 of which I have spent as a full time UPS driver... I have never been in a traffic accident or had a moving violation.

Obama picture guy might have a problem with your use of the word I. According to him this is no place to be posting personal opinions or experiences.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What do you do for UPS? Reasonable effort to verbally say them? Is that your opinion because that isn't what the OP is being asked for.

we've already explained that until the person gets adaquate time to learn the stuff on the clock, then it's null and void.

I spout them the best I can, probably never get the 10 pt commentary and 5 seeing habits 100% but fairly close, they don't harrass me because I know most of it. can explain it and use it in my driving. The 8s and 5s are easy because the PT sups on the inside review it two times a month , and after a few months it was memorized.

However , that does not apply to anyone else. So I'm not going to say "The workers who can recite them are no more or less likely to be injured in my experience." because everyone is different.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
why is it that management is so convinced of the importance of these keys, acronyms and slogans as a way to affect safety?
Is it becasuse the ability to recite them verbatim is something they can measure?

to most managers, yes, it probably is just another metric

but there are many professional fields that rely heavily on following procedures, usually by going down a checklist verbatim whether you "know it already" or not

if i had a dollar for every employee who claimed they "knew" safety, then bent at his waist to pick up a 40# package, or picked up a leaking box, i'd be able to retire

all the people who could give it back to me verbatim never made those mistakes, but your mileage may vary

maybe the military and aviation circles have it all wrong, you hourlies at UPS know better

Re-Raise

I spout them the best I can, probably never get the 10 pt commentary and 5 seeing habits 100% but fairly close, they don't harrass me because I know most of it. can explain it and use it in my driving. The 8s and 5s are easy because the PT sups on the inside review it two times a month , and after a few months it was memorized.

Using I an awful lot.

Who cares what you do?

Re-Raise

The workers who can recite them are are no more or less likely to have accidents in my (25 yrs+) experience.

I stand by this 100%. The first 20 years at UPS I actually survived with the basic all good kids like milk, and had never heard of the 10 point commentary.

Maybe some people can memorize things because they are just better at memorization. Some people that may not be as 'book smart' might be more organized and apt to take more care which could lead them to be safer.

I know the drivers who struggle with the keys for whatever reason and I know who they try to steer the auditors to. IN MY EXPERIENCE at my center there is no difference in safety record, just a different score on the audit.

For the record it is not all about me because I can rattle them off with ease. I just feel bad for the people who can't and are having their jobs threatened.

UPSGUY72

It's your back ... if you learn the safe methods and can repeat them then there is a much higher probability you will apply them.
Think for yourself and do what you think is best for you.
These jack wagons don't care anything about you.

I agree if you know the work methods and can repeat when ask you are more likely to use them.

All around knowing them will keep your SUP from harassing you about not knowing them. They Ask I tell they move on to the next person. They ask I don't know I get the lecture on why I don't know them, threaten to be written up and then they come back to me later and ask me again if I know them.

I like staying of the radar.