Can I actually get fired for this?!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The workers who can recite them are are no more or less likely to have accidents in my (25 yrs+) experience.

I stand by this 100%. The first 20 years at UPS I actually survived with the basic all good kids like milk, and had never heard of the 10 point commentary.

Maybe some people can memorize things because they are just better at memorization. Some people that may not be as 'book smart' might be more organized and apt to take more care which could lead them to be safer.

I know the drivers who struggle with the keys for whatever reason and I know who they try to steer the auditors to. IN MY EXPERIENCE at my center there is no difference in safety record, just a different score on the audit.

For the record it is not all about me because I can rattle them off with ease. I just feel bad for the people who can't and are having their jobs threatened.
Some people cannot recite them because they choose not to, and some because I guess they are less fortunate with memorization. They are a minority. The fact is the typical mind has quirky habit of memorizing things and applying them via acronyms. That is proven science. If you want to debate science, go ahead, but bring your facts - not your opinion.

stewardtwoniner

And then what? Does it say in the contract he has to remember it verbatim forever? Shouldn't the knowledge be reinforced through paid training?
You sure you're a steward?

you guys do realize them questions and the answers came from Osha? You do realize that when Ketter comes around they will ask you those questions and then tell Osha how you did on them? Osha has done a lot of good for us on worker safety this one you clearly dont like.All you guys who claim to be good union men well if you are then support the same Osha who we fought for many years ago.

Re-Raise

Some people cannot recite them because they choose not to, and some because I guess they are less fortunate with memorization. They are a minority. The fact is the typical mind has quirky habit of memorizing things and applying them via acronyms. That is proven science. If you want to debate science, go ahead, but bring your facts - not your opinion.

Wow now you are an expert on the working of the human mind. Who asked you this?

My opinion.. because I am not a doctor like yourself.. and even though I have not been officially asked by you.. is that acronyms help a person to remember things not apply them.

I remember that they told me to use the handrail and drink 8 glasses of water a day, just because I remember it has no correlation at all to whether i chose to do it.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

The difference is, you asked me. Earlier, you were not asked. You went on your own and told everyone what was best for them, because it was best for you.

What are you talking about? I never told anyone what to do. Unlike you I don't feel I am in a position to do that.

I questioned the value of memorization as an indicator of safe work habits. I believe actions speak louder than words.

This forum is for the exchange of ideas. I don't have to wait for you or anyone else on here to ask me for my opinion. And if you think I asked for your opinion you are mistaken. I asked what you do for UPS.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What are you talking about? I never told anyone what to do. Unlike you I don't feel I am in a position to do that.

I questioned the value of memorization as an indicator of safe work habits. I believe actions speak louder than words.

This forum is for the exchange of ideas. I don't have to wait for you or anyone else on here to ask me for my opinion. And if you think I asked for your opinion you are mistaken. I asked what you do for UPS.

Show me where you asked a question? I don't see any ? in your responses, all I see are your opinions while others are giving you facts to counter your opinions as false. Anyway, not going to continue this. Like everything else in life: some get it, some don't. Everyone is different.

Re-Raise

Show me where you asked a question? I don't see any ? in your responses, all I see are your opinions while others are giving you facts to counter your opinions as false. Anyway, not going to continue this. Like everything else in life: some get it, some don't. Everyone is different.

Facts?? When did you post any facts Dr.?

I never acted like you or anyone else didn't have the right to your own opinion.

For the third time the only question I asked of you is what do you do for UPS that has given you so much more knowledge about the correlation between memorization and safety record.

If you are in a position that gives you access to these statistics I would love to hear them.

The last Circle of Honor driver to retire from my center was probably the worst one at my center on these little tests.

If you have FACTS lets hear them.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Facts?? When did you post any facts Dr.?

I never acted like you or anyone else didn't have the right to your own opinion.

For the third time the only question I asked of you is what do you do for UPS that has given you so much more knowledge about the correlation between memorization and safety record.

If you are in a position that gives you access to these statistics I would love to hear them.

The last Circle of Honor driver to retire from my center was probably the worst one at my center on these little tests.

If you have FACTS lets hear them.

Go research mnemonics and the basic principles applied..

Dinner time.

Re-Raise

Go research mnemonics and the basic principles applied..

Dinner time.

Oh brother.

Anyway asinine the easiest thing to do is remember them so they will quit asking you. Come up with something that clicks for you so you can recall them.

For the 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls for example I always think what wobbles but won't fall down?

A WEBL

A Adjust for changing conditions

W Walk at a brisk pace don't run.

E Establish firm footing, maintain your balance

B Stay off of B elts , rollers , chutes and slides

L Look before stepping

I do it even though I don't see the point. But I do a lot of things UPS wants me to that I don't see the point of. I stood on the belt last week making $45 an hour sucking through a straw with all the other drivers at my center to show us something about not smoking.

I don't smoke already and never have but I will still cash the check.

Random_Facts

Can't get fired for not knowing them. It'll take some time, but you can learn it if you really want to. Just remember 'safety first'. If it's not safe, clearly don't do it. Lol.