Can I be disciplined for stack outs?

I've been working here for a little over 3 months as a loader on the boxline. My production is good, I always keep misloads below, or on frequency, and I don't stick out in a good, or bad way. My work has been interrupted by a gang of harassing SUPs on nearly a daily basis.

I've got a hard pull, so stacking out a little bit to stay clean is beneficial, but there is this one SUP in particular who is OCD about stacks. Yesterday, 3 sups came over to my work area (2 full time, and 1 part time), and harassed me about a few stack outs/ins. One of the full time SUPs said "next time he sets a package down, call a steward."

I've heard mixed stories about discipline, and firing here. So I'm a little confused.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've been working here for a little over 3 months as a loader on the boxline. My production is good, I always keep misloads below, or on frequency, and I don't stick out in a good, or bad way. My work has been interrupted by a gang of harassing SUPs on nearly a daily basis.

I've got a hard pull, so stacking out a little bit to stay clean is beneficial, but there is this one SUP in particular who is OCD about stacks. Yesterday, 3 sups came over to my work area (2 full time, and 1 part time), and harassed me about a few stack outs/ins. One of the full time SUPs said "next time he sets a package down, call a steward."

I've heard mixed stories about discipline, and firing here. So I'm a little confused.
Stacking outside the truck? It's an egress issue and if there's room in the truck for the packages you are stacking out...you are not working as directed. You can/will be disciplined for that...if you are refusing to do as your sups tell you. If you're unsure about what they want...ask them to explain or show you exactly how they want it done....and then do your best to comply.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just let the packages that you don't have time or room to load blow on by.

When they start piling up at the end of the belt and falling off, you will be "allowed" to stack once again.

Most of the heavy routes in my building have "stack tables" between the rear bumper of the car and the belt to give the preloader room to stack the RDR and RDL bulk stops for that route. Without them, the ass end of the car would get bricked out an hour into the sort and the preloader wouldn't even be able to enter the car, much less load a package on shelf 1 or 2.

Stacking out is an operational necessity, especially when the route in question is already being forced into a car that is too small to contain it properly.

Stacking outside the truck? It's an egress issue and if there's room in the truck for the packages you are stacking out...you are not working as directed. You can/will be disciplined for that...if you are refusing to do as your sups tell you. If you're unsure about what they want...ask them to explain or show you exactly how they want it done....and then do your best to comply.
I wasn't in violation of egress with these stacks, they were within the yellow lines. Is violating egress what I would've been written up for? Or is there a specific rule against stacking in general?

oldngray

nowhere special
Failure to follow instructions. Even if its stupid if a sup tells you don't stack anything out you can get a warning letter if you fail to follow those instructions.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I wasn't in violation of egress with these stacks, they weore within the yellow lines. Is violating egress what I would've been written up for? Or is there a specific rule against stacking in general?
The rules change as management sees fit. The biggest rule YOU need to remember is...Work As Directed (aka... do what you are told). You don't have to agree with what they're asking you to do. Just comply the best you can..or risk being disciplined. End of story.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Just let the packages that you don't have time or room to load blow on by.

When they start piling up at the end of the belt and falling off, you will be "allowed" to stack once again.

Most of the heavy routes in my building have "stack tables" between the rear bumper of the car and the belt to give the preloader room to stack the RDR and RDL bulk stops for that route. Without them, the ass end of the car would get bricked out an hour into the sort and the preloader wouldn't even be able to enter the car, much less load a package on shelf 1 or 2.

Stacking out is an operational necessity, especially when the route in question is already being forced into a car that is too small to contain it properly.
You are correct...it is an operational necessity for bulk stops, and some irregs. However, poorly trained loaders...and we have lots of them...leave every friggin piece of bulk out...simply because its big or overweight. That is craptacular loading...and then management gets on their azzes about too many packages stacked out. It's usually not even the loader's fault...he was never taught properly.

J

jibbs

Is violating egress what I would've been written up for? Or is there a specific rule against stacking in general?

I feel like they'd construe the problem as you not working as directed. They don't want you to stack out? Cool, fill up the shelves and start bricking out the truck whenever you run out of space.

If you load well and don't make walking in front of your pull a death trap, they'll eventually leave you alone when you show them their directions lead to failure.

CHALLY9TX

File a grievance for harassment. 3 sups bothering you is over-supervision. Work as directed and work safe. Don't let sups intimidate you. Again file for harassment. 1 sup talking to you is fine but of 3 them is BS.

Sent using BrownCafe App

OptimusPrime

If the route really needs to be stacked out everyday, ask about one of those extension platforms. Not exactly sure what they are called. It's like a table that sits between the truck and the lip of the boxline. We use them for heavy business routes with big dump stops.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If the route really needs to be stacked out everyday, ask about one of those extension platforms. Not exactly sure what they are called. It's like a table that sits between the truck and the lip of the boxline. We use them for heavy business routes with big dump stops.
Stack tables. Probably 2/3 of the routes in my building have them.

1000RR

Work as directed. Use the methods. Let the stuff ride that you can't pull, get help with anything over 70. You will see results. Even better put in a shift transfer to Reload/Twilight, much better than preload.

barnyard

KTM rider
Even better put in a shift transfer to Reload/Twilight, much better than preload.

There is a lot of truth to that. From what I see, preload gets the highest level of unreasonable expectations placed on them.

If I look at the numbers in my center, the local sort always makes them. No one works off the clock and there is a PCM every day before they start work.

The preload almost never makes the numbers. They rarely have PCM, do not have time to stretch before work and many set up their work areas off the clock (I used to grieve it when I was laid off and worked the preload. I have not been on the preload in years, but cannot imagine that anything has changed.) In spite of working off the clock, they cannot make their numbers.

I just felt harassed because almost everybody (if not everybody), on the boxline was doing the same thing, and we'rent getting yelled at.

I just feel like there is a lot of favoritism going on, especially for people who's parents, or other family members have been working there for 10-20 years, and maybe worked with the people who are now sups. These people don't get in trouble for anything.

I don't really care about the harassment, it doesn't bother me the slightest bit. I just don't want to get fired. I'm a good worker who shows up on time, get's the job done, and I do my best to give the drivers the best load I can. I don't get why they would target me.

We call them pallets. Not sure why. Some are 4' by 8' and some are 2' by 8'. Used to stack bulk stops behind the package cars.
We don't have any of those on the boxline. We stand on a belt that has a yellow line on it between the trucks, and the cages. When necessary, you can stack up to the yellow line without violating egress.