Can I be disciplined for stack outs?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I wasn't in violation of egress with these stacks, they were within the yellow lines. Is violating egress what I would've been written up for? Or is there a specific rule against stacking in general?
Some IE guy in a cubicle who never touched a package in his life has decreed that stacking is "inefficient" because of the additional time spent re-handling the same packages, so periodically he issues a mandate forbidding the practice and demanding that his underlings threaten discipline to all who disobey.

In his perfect little fantasy world, the packages can be loaded one at a time in the order that they come down the belt with no need for stacking. There are no jams, there are no containment issues, there are no irregs, there are no routes being broken up 30 minutes before wrapup and there are no 200-piece bulk stops being crammed into a P-700 in the first hour of the shift.

Your only problem is that you work in the real world, and he doesn't. Sometimes you just have to do what they say, regardless of how stupid it is, and let it fail catastrophically.

Some IE guy in a cubicle who never touched a package in his life has decreed that stacking is "inefficient" because of the additional time spent re-handling the same packages, so periodically he issues a mandate forbidding the practice and demanding that his underlings threaten discipline to all who disobey.

In his perfect little fantasy world, the packages can be loaded one at a time in the order that they come down the belt with no need for stacking. There are no jams, there are no containment issues, there are no irregs, there are no routes being broken up 30 minutes before wrapup and there are no 200-piece bulk stops being crammed into a P-700 in the first hour of the shift.

Your only problem is that you work in the real world, and he doesn't. Sometimes you just have to do what they say, regardless of how stupid it is, and let it fail catastrophically.
Do violations like this from the previous day stack up? For example: Can they yell at me for something, threaten to write me up one day, then the next day, use the stuff from the previous day to discipline me?

I did a stack today, and he came by and was nice about it. It's sooooo confusing.

PT Car Washer

Do violations like this from the previous day stack up? For example: Can they yell at me for something, threaten to write me up one day, then the next day, use the stuff from the previous day to discipline me?

I did a stack today, and he came by and was nice about it. It's sooooo confusing.
Just like Army basic training. It is a mind game. As long as you show up everyday you will be fine.

My fear is that if i let it fail catastrophically, they will blame me, and I will be the one in trouble. They don't take responsibility for anything. Again, I just don't want to get fired.

In my fantasy world, a SUP would have the balls to take some responsibility for his mistakes.

PT Car Washer

Management does take responsibility. You just don't see it. Your FT sup can be dismissed or relocated at any time. You can not. Have seen many FT sups and managers just disappear in my time. While the PT hourlies are still here 30 years later.

Management does take responsibility. You just don't see it. Your FT sup can be dismissed or relocated at any time. You can not. Have seen many FT sups and managers just disappear in my time. While the PT hourlies are still here 30 years later.
I should come here more often. I still don't know a fraction of what really goes on here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Of the 24-30 routes we put on road each day, at least 1/2 have bulk stops stacked out on a daily basis. As Sober said, it is much easier to stack bulk stops and close out the car after the sort is done.

Resident know-it-all.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My fear is that if i let it fail catastrophically, they will blame me, and I will be the one in trouble. They don't take responsibility for anything. Again, I just don't want to get fired.

In my fantasy world, a SUP would have the balls to take some responsibility for his mistakes.

1. Any action that you take to obey one of their rules will automatically cause you to be in violation of a different one. The rules and priorities change weekly according to the whims of people whom you will never meet, who have never done you job, and know nothing about what you do. You cant win and you will always be wrong, so just obey the last instruction you were given and when it fails it will be on them not you.

2. At UPS, "balls" and "supervisor" will often be a contradiction in terms. The people you report to are mostly puppets. They cant make decisions, they are just plan facilitators who do and say what they are told.

Of the 24-30 routes we put on road each day, at least 1/2 have bulk stops stacked out on a daily basis. As Sober said, it is much easier to stack bulk stops and close out the car after the sort is done.

Resident know-it-all.
Can they write you up, or send you a warning letter without saying anything, for having a stack out/in generally?

By The Book

No, they can't use a previous conversation without your shop steward, or other union member present one day and add it to another days conversation. I'm a steward and to me these talks can't be used against you without union representation.

PT Car Washer

No, they can't use a previous conversation without your shop steward, or other union member present one day and add it to another days conversation. I'm a steward and to me these talks can't be used against you without union representation.
Exactly. Which is why I would consider this Intimidation and over supervision. Let it go and do your job. This is just a mind game.

FilingBluesFL

If they are even talking to you, and you THINK you are being disciplined, demand a steward.

Do as someone else suggest, and file a grievance for over-supervision.

Best thing I ever did was start farting and acting gay around supervisors.

They rarely bother me, and if they ABSOLUTELY have to deal with me, they try to pass the buck on to someone else to do it...

No joke, it seriously works great. Try asking your center manager for a massage some time. Tell him you don't mind if he's a bit extra friendly with it...

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've been working here for a little over 3 months as a loader on the boxline. My production is good, I always keep misloads below, or on frequency, and I don't stick out in a good, or bad way. My work has been interrupted by a gang of harassing SUPs on nearly a daily basis.

I've got a hard pull, so stacking out a little bit to stay clean is beneficial, but there is this one SUP in particular who is OCD about stacks. Yesterday, 3 sups came over to my work area (2 full time, and 1 part time), and harassed me about a few stack outs/ins. One of the full time SUPs said "next time he sets a package down, call a steward."

I've heard mixed stories about discipline, and firing here. So I'm a little confused.
giveemagoodload,

Do you work on a boxline or belt to car system?

Sncerely,
I