Can I be forced to run PM air shuttle?

I am a part-time local sorter/cover driver. Some Friday nights I am pulled off the sort and forced to run the PM air shuttle when all full-time drivers refuse to run it. The union book says that no part-timer shall work if there is a full-timer on the premises. I have always been under the impression that the work was forced on the lowest seniority employee that was already on the clock as a driver. Am I correct, or do they have the right to force me to run the shuttle? Any information will be helpful.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

PKG, you are right--the lowest seniority driver should do this work; however, the air has to get to the airport and if there are no FT employees available to do it you will be asked to do it.

brown_trousers

I am a part-time local sorter/cover driver. Some Friday nights I am pulled off the sort and forced to run the PM air shuttle when all full-time drivers refuse to run it. The union book says that no part-timer shall work if there is a full-timer on the premises. I have always been under the impression that the work was forced on the lowest seniority employee that was already on the clock as a driver. Am I correct, or do they have the right to force me to run the shuttle? Any information will be helpful.

Of all the things to complain about.....
An air shuttle is the gravy of all driving work. That is a "problem" I would love to have

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Only FT drivers are allowed to shuttle to and from airport. Article 40

"In no event shall shuttle work be assigned to a part-time air driver"

I am a qualified TCD, not an air driver. And yes, there were full-time drivers on premises, they just didn't want to run the shuttle because it was Friday night. And I had no problem running the shuttle on Friday night before, when the full-timers passed it up some of the other nights of the week, but as far as I'm concerned if they want it Mon. thru Thurs. then they can run it Fri. too. And if i'm in the right then I need to file.

rod

Retired 22 years
Of all the things to complain about.....
An air shuttle is the gravy of all driving work. That is a "problem" I would love to have

I was thinking the same thing. The few times I ran the stuff to the airport it always seemed to take twice as long to get back to the center as it did to get to the airport. I had to go by the Dairy Queen you know.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am a qualified TCD, not an air driver. And yes, there were full-time drivers on premises, they just didn't want to run the shuttle because it was Friday night. And I had no problem running the shuttle on Friday night before, when the full-timers passed it up some of the other nights of the week, but as far as I'm concerned if they want it Mon. thru Thurs. then they can run it Fri. too. And if i'm in the right then I need to file.
If the FT drivers turn the work down, you are the one whom they sent to school and trained to do this exact job-no matter what day it is. When you are FT, you can refuse too.

...but you can be disciplined for not having the paperwork necessary for your job...

I do hope this is not the type of advice you give to those under your "stewardship".
If you are a part time hub employee-loader-sorter-unloader-ECG then air driving is voluntarily. Having your dot card or liscense are not manditory. I know what I'm talking about son. If the said employee is a less than 8 air driver or a full time air driver I wouldn't do it. If you are a voluntary Saturday or exception air driver they are SOL. It is hat it is son. Good day

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
My interpetitation is yes work as directed especially if you drive and have your DOT. Then check the rate if it is more $$ make sure they code and pay you correctley. Check with your BA to be sure. If I was youe steward I would go to the union (BA) with the question not the Cafe.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My interpetitation is yes work as directed especially if you drive and have your DOT. Then check the rate if it is more $$ make sure they code and pay you correctley. Check with your BA to be sure. If I was youe steward I would go to the union (BA) with the question not the Cafe.
Totally agree! Score!

old levi's

blank space

What has Friday night got to do with any of this?

I did forget my license, and they sent me anyway. My steward and BA agree with the company (they never process grievances against full-timers). I agree with anonymous. If I'm not scheduled to drive before I report to work then I'm under no obligation to be prepared to drive. And considering I cross state lines, being forced to drive when theyre aware I have no license or DOT card makes that weigh station look pretty inviting lol. I don't see this lasting long.

Last edited:
Menotyou, actually I was trained to run GROUND ROUTES during the day. Not AIR SHUTTLES at night. That sounds like management talk to me. Like most management you can argue there's no difference, but if there were no difference then the pay rate would be the same.

brown_trousers

Menotyou, actually I was trained to run GROUND ROUTES during the day. Not AIR SHUTTLES at night. That sounds like management talk to me. Like most management you can argue there's no difference, but if there were no difference then the pay rate would be the same.

An air shuttle isn't something that needs training. If you know how to turn the car on and drive it, you're golden. If you have been trained on a ground route, then you are already WAY overtrained to run an air shuttle.

Because if they won't send some of that extra work my way Monday thru Thursday, I'm not willingly gonna give up my Friday night so they can have there's free.

I'm confused... are you taking a pay cut to drive during you're normal PT shift? How is the driving work you perform "free"?

brown_trousers

He is talking about the FT drivers who have no problem running the shuttle Mon-Thurs but don't want to run it on Friday as they have plans.
My Goodness! where do places like this exist where air drivers actually DON'T want the extra work. If any air driving becomes available at my center, all us PT drivers swoop in like ravenous wolves trying to get it.