Can I be pulled back to preload forever after being full time driver?

I moved from preload to full time driver after 9 1/2 years of waiting. Finished qualifying on May 25th. Every time a preloader quits, I am told to report to preload the next day. Granted I am getting my driver pay but there is a huge difference between 3.5 hours and 9.5+ hours in pay. I have been doing this without complaint but I don't see an end to it. I am one of the few without any misloads ever. Also, there are drivers hired after me that are getting to remain on their routes making their 9.5 hour days pay. Should I just keep doing this without questioning?

talk to your union rep this is not right. they might also have to pay you back the hours you are loosing..good luck

UPSSC

Two of you have said "layoff". What is the definition of a layoff in union speak. Received text while driving today saying I would be on preload in the morning. Yes, my 30 day qualifying was completed in May.

UPSSC

So this is not due to a layoff then. Drivers hired after me are getting to run their routes. They had five preloaders quit and since I have no misloads they are pulling me to fill the holes they have. Same thing happened last week when a preloader quit.

UPSGUY72

9 1/2 + yr UPS employee and the OP acts like he got hired yesterday. Never has read his contract book. Doesn't know the difference between a Steward and a BA. Apparently doesn't even know that shop steward are hour UPS employees. I could go on but I'll stop there......

friend---ing amazing.....

9.5er

They may say you are on preload because the route you normally run is cut or a more senior driver is running it. Tell them you want to run on of the lower drivers routes and they need to displace them to preload. Even if you have to run it in the blind. (No training)
Learn as many routes as you can.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So this is not due to a layoff then. Drivers hired after me are getting to run their routes. They had five preloaders quit and since I have no misloads they are pulling me to fill the holes they have. Same thing happened last week when a preloader quit.

Wait just a minute! Are these newer guys on training routes and still working toward seniority?

UPSGUY72

They may say you are on preload because the route you normally run is cut or a more senior driver is running it. Tell them you want to run on of the lower drivers routes and they need to displace them to preload. Even if you have to run it in the blind. (No training)

Bingo I know 35 + routes in 3 different building in my area.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I can't get them to answer that question.

We had that situation in my old building. Guys that had recently qualified and made their seniority were being bumped back inside so newer hires could be trained.

Sucked, but it was what it was.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is no route that runs on Monday and is cut on Tuesday.

BrownTexas

All you need to do is file a seniority grievance for guys with less seniority driving and you are not. You will get paid more this way then filing for your guaranteed 8 because you get paid for their hours worked. Find the guy working the most hours but with less seniority and file on it. I've been at ups less than 4 years and I know all this.

UPSSC

Two guys have qualified and are continuing to run routes. There are others qualifying but the funny thing is-I was pulled for four days to do preload during my 30 day qualifying period so it looks like they could do the same to them and let me run a route.

BrownTexas

We had that situation in my old building. Guys that had recently qualified and made their seniority were being bumped back inside so newer hires could be trained.

Sucked, but it was what it was.
I'd file on that too. This is why I work everyday and the 5 guys above me get sent home. They know I will hit them with a paper trail in a heartbeat.