Can I be pulled back to preload forever after being full time driver?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Two guys have qualified and are continuing to run routes. There are others qualifying but the funny thing is-I was pulled for four days to do preload during my 30 day qualifying period so it looks like they could do the same to them and let me run a route.

In that case, file. File on every day you didn't drive when you should have.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That IS not contractually viable.

Probably not, may have been supplemental.

But, it did happen.

And, it was the summer before I retired. I had already stopped giving a flying leap at a rolling doughnut about much of anything by then.

MethodsMan

I moved from preload to full time driver after 9 1/2 years of waiting. Finished qualifying on May 25th. Every time a preloader quits, I am told to report to preload the next day. Granted I am getting my driver pay but there is a huge difference between 3.5 hours and 9.5+ hours in pay. I have been doing this without complaint but I don't see an end to it. I am one of the few without any misloads ever. Also, there are drivers hired after me that are getting to remain on their routes making their 9.5 hour days pay. Should I just keep doing this without questioning?

You're too important to the pre-load. They will keep you there forever at all costs.

By The Book

Two of you have said "layoff". What is the definition of a layoff in union speak. Received text while driving today saying I would be on preload in the morning. Yes, my 30 day qualifying was completed in May.
On Friday morning look at the start schedule for when you are to work on Monday. Write this down as I believe they are to give you 24 hours notice of a change in start time if there is no emergency/act of god, etc. which means after you start driving at 8:45 and get a text at 11:30 it's too late for them to change your start time. If you file, which you should, file for lost wages from the other drivers who have qualified who are lower on the full time seniority list in your building. Write down how many hours paid to the highest paid driver of those two and keep a log of all your paid hours until this gets fixed.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You're too important to the pre-load. They will keep you there forever at all costs.
I would work the preload for 3 1/2 hours per day and grieve for the difference in hours that any junior employee, who got the most hours.

Work 3 1/2 on the preload and get paid for 10. Sounds good to me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

undies

Make note of all the days this has happened since you passed the probation period. You really need to call your local and talk to a Business Agent...time to get paid!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Make note of all the days this has happened since you passed the probation period. You really need to call your local and talk to a Business Agent...time to get paid!
It has been asked three times in this thread whether the OP has made book (qualified), but the question has yet to be answered.
It is hard to assertain what the proper course of action should be without all the pertnant facts.

To the OP, the only solid advice that you received in this thread was to call your steward and or business agent.
Have them show you the applicable contract language rather than accept a verbal answer.
Good luck

PT Car Washer

It has been asked three times in this thread whether the OP has made book (qualified), but the question has yet to be answered.
It is hard to assertain what the proper course of action should be without all the pertnant facts.

To the OP, the only solid advice that you received in this thread was to call your steward and or business agent.
Have them show you the applicable contract language rather than accept a verbal answer.
Good luck
He answered in post 23 that he qualified back in May.

UPSSC

After preload this morning, am being sent to help a driver for two hours. Was told if I want my 8 hours, have to come back to building and wash cars. Have already been told I will be on preload again tomorrow. My SS left the building before I finished this morning but am getting my hands on a grievance form. I am a laid back, hard working guy who does not like to make waves but it sounds like I am going to have to change my thinking a little as a driver.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We had a 25+ year driver last year say to me "I might have to file my first grievance". I've probably filed 30-40 in about 10 years there lol.
We had a 25+ year driver last year say to me "I might have to file my first grievance". I've probably filed 30-40 in about 10 years there lol.
Different strokes....but in almost 10 years...the OP should at least know enough to talk to his steward...lol

Work right slow and safe

Two of you have said "layoff". What is the definition of a layoff in union speak. Received text while driving today saying I would be on preload in the morning.
Ok let me ask this. In your center do you have scheduled posted start times for the week? If so what does it show for u? Are u a cover driver or a full time driver.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He answered in post 23 that he qualified back in May.
I see it now, actually in post #1.
Thanks.
I viewed it as a very important piece of the puzzle, because if he wasn't qualified yet, I believe in keeping your head down and your mouth shut until you make book.

Now with more information, I can say without hesitation that the OP is getting screwed.
If it were me, I wouldn't show up for the preload, rather at the regular start time for the rest of the drivers in the center.
If they have anybody with less seniority penciled in on a route, I would demand to be put to work and would grieve for daily guarantee if not accommodated.
It sounds to like they are going to push this guy as far he will let them.
I wish I was his steward.