Can I be sent home to avoid overtime without requesting it?

Wimlore

Hello. I was just curious if management can contractually send me home after my 8 hours when I still have more work to do and also when I have more seniority over the person taking over for me? I am in Washington State. I have checked the J.C. 28 Rider and the Western Region contract but I have failed to locate anything that allows this without me requesting it first. Any information/hints/tips/references/similar stories are greatly appreciated. Loveeeee youuuuuu. I'll bug my shop steward tomorrow.

Wimlore

How often is this happening? Are they only doing it to you?
Me and one other employee. They just started it today. My supervisor showed me the email. Said that if me or the other guy were going to get overtime, it had to be checked with her (center manager) first otherwise was not allowed.

Wimlore

Unless you opt'ed in I see no reason why they would single out just 2 employees?
We are article 22.3's. Somewhere is a list of the top 50 22.3's for overtime in the district. Me and this other guy are on that list. That is what I gathered out of the email she sent my supervisor. So the center manager is trying to get us off that list.

Wimlore

That's iffy because those other employees might not have their guaranteed hours in. Unless we are given all the facts it's hard for us to make a verdict.
Well for more clarity: I am a combo 22.3. The "work" I had left was clerking. I bidded on the position and won it, so it is my inside preferred position. My other job is an Air Shuttle. 2pm-1030pm every day. Today I started at 10:35am to help shuttle late air and bulk stops. Then I did my afternoon air shuttle. But I was sent home at 6:30pm instead of getting to do my clerking position, which was handed off to the backup clerk.

Edit: Oh and also, we were heavily understaffed today and the supervisors really needed me. Not just for clerking. They were very reluctant to send me home but the center manager insisted on it. So it was not like we had more people than we needed. Just a numbers game.

Chnandler Bong

Our EAM driver (22.3) has always told me that his job was bid as a strict 40 hour week with no OT. They often ask him to shuttle misloads, which he usually does...but he's always said that he has the right to refuse any work over 8 hours. I'm sure someone will chime in soon that's more informed than my 2nd hand info...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well for more clarity: I am a combo 22.3. The "work" I had left was clerking. I bidded on the position and won it, so it is my inside preferred position. My other job is an Air Shuttle. 2pm-1030pm every day. Today I started at 10:35am to help shuttle late air and bulk stops. Then I did my afternoon air shuttle. But I was sent home at 6:30pm instead of getting to do my clerking position, which was handed off to the backup clerk.

Edit: Oh and also, we were heavily understaffed today and the supervisors really needed me. Not just for clerking. They were very reluctant to send me home but the center manager insisted on it. So it was not like we had more people than we needed. Just a numbers game.

Did this backup clerk do the job on overtime?

If yes, you have a grievance. If this person was on straight time, you don't.

Ups can always use on employee on straight time over an employee on OT.

clean hairy

They didn't allow 22.3's to have OT in the hub I worked in.
This is where it gets interesting, in our region, it states extra work will be in seniority order.
I do not recall seeing any specific reference to 22.3 not being allowed overtime, though.
I do know a 22.3 who is allowed overtime during Peak.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

In our area, a FT combo cannot use their seniority to bump a PT'er out of extra work once they have their 8 hours. That being said, that doesn't matter if supervisors are doing bargaining unit work; contractually, the company has to use the 22.3 even if they would get OT.

Also, you're under 30 and have a 22.3? I :censored2:ing hate this company.