can i file?

browntroll

basically my hub has been really light lately and sups have been cutting hours wherever they can. so today i got told i was getting 10 min cut from my start time, but i know that one of their favorites is starting 25 min before my start time. i talked to my sup but he told me since that guy has been coming in early for a while(3 months) i cant do anything. obviously i have more seniority, i didnt care before but now that they cut me out almost an hour a week and this guy stays longer then i do. i just want to know if theres anything i can do through the union about it or is it just work as directed.

Rainman

Its all good.
File. If by chance there is some legitimate reason that he can work longer, then you'll find out. Probably they find it more convenient to use him and figure you don't care. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You respected the chain of command by going to the supervisor first, so they have nothing to complain about by you filing.

As long as the junior seniority Union member is not getting more time then you I don't know what you can do about it. If you are both qualified for the same position then yes you can file for the extra time.

Ron Carey lives on

First of all, you are the union. Extra time grievance. Not trying to be a smartazz at all but Everyone needs to read their contract, especially the new guys. Knowledge is power

Sent using BrownCafe App

IzzyTheNose

Explain to your Supe that your next step will be filing. The situation might be resolved first.

This.

In my experience, it's always better to talk to the supervisor who is violating seniority. In most instances they're understanding. But a lot of this depends on what type of person you're dealing with, and how assertive you are with argument. And know the difference between assertive and antagonistic.

Just clearly explain to the guy that you need the hours, and you have more seniority. If he again insists that it's been going on for a certain length of time, simply tell him that fact is irrelevant. You have more seniority, and you would like for him to follow the contract.

If he still resists, or gives you more static, just tell him your next step is to inform a steward, and you'll be filing a grievance for violating your seniority, and for the time lost when someone with less seniority had an earlier start time. Chase that with "I honestly don't want to go that route"

At that point, unless he's a total maroon, which is absolutely possible, he should relinquish his position and see the situation for what it is: not worth his trouble.

Good luck.

browntroll

im gonna talk to my sup again tomorrow. i had asked a shop steward but he sided with the sups about this guy doing it longer which
i already expected from knowing how this shop steward works. its the same shop steward which sided with management when i got written
up for calling sick 5 occasions in 9 months, he had the nerve to tell me i was being immature about being written up since
i complained that i should have been warned.

basically my hub has been really light lately and sups have been cutting hours wherever they can. so today i got told i was getting 10 min cut from my start time, but i know that one of their favorites is starting 25 min before my start time. i talked to my sup but he told me since that guy has been coming in early for a while(3 months) i cant do anything. obviously i have more seniority, i didnt care before but now that they cut me out almost an hour a week and this guy stays longer then i do. i just want to know if theres anything i can do through the union about it or is it just work as directed.
Seniority should alway rule. First talk to the steward. Tell him what's going on. Maybe he can fix it. If not file on it. Cut and dry.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Explain to your Supe that your next step will be filing. The situation might be resolved first.
Not likely. Unless the op has filed many times before they will likely see if he is bluffing.

Then when filed on the sups will act like they had no idea he wanted the hours.