Can I go straight to feeder

Busta Brown

I'm 20 and currently in school for my cdl when I turn 21 and put name on the list can I go straight to feeder or do I have to do PC first and how long will it take also I work at cach (Chicago area consolidation hub)

upschuck

Then you wasted your money getting a cdl. Not sure about cach, but most places need a year of UPS safe driving to get into feeders

UPS would train you, and pay you to go to UPS school

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
maybe not a waste of time if you are a part timer and can work at another trucking outfit as a part timer or a yard hostler.

we had guys do that and then UPS feeder training was a breeze.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I'm 20 and currently in school for my cdl when I turn 21 and put name on the list can I go straight to feeder or do I have to do PC first and how long will it take also I work at cach (Chicago area consolidation hub)
@Busta Brown (about Local 705/Chicago area feeder):
  • "Can I go straight (from part time) to feeder? Answer: Yes, in theory. This was added in the current contract. In reality, it probably wouldn't happen. Your part time seniority will always place you below any full timer on the list. But you could get lucky, there could be some month where the FT ahead of you are otherwise not eligible due to tickets/accidents/can't get permits...So when you turn 21, go ahead and put your name on the list.
  • If you are already in CDL school, I would imagine you signed a contract and are committed (financially) to it. Make the best of it. Some other possible options: the Teamsters Joint Council 25 has a truck driving school you might be eligible for at low/no cost (Joliet area?), or I think one of Chicago's City Colleges has a CDL program that might qualify for the tuition reimbursement program. I do think it is a good idea. There has been a significant number of package car drivers who didn't make it to feeders with the company's two week program here. It's too short, and otherwise inadequate; and the supervisors teaching it are just that: supervisors, not teachers.
  • You only need one year safe driving record/clean DMV Abstract Report per the union contract (Local 705). See Article 48.3 "Tractor-Trailer School". It does not have to be as a FT package car driver as required elsewhere.
  • As far as how long it will take, it could be only a few years. But you really need to be a FT employee to better your chances to get called. For example, there are new feeder drivers with less than 2 years FT (package car) while 10+ year PT air drivers are still waiting. And the quickest way to FT status is package car. Take a look at the 705 feeder seniority list posted in/for your building. Look at the top to see how many have 25, 30, 35 or more years FT and are eligible for 'milestone' pensions/retirement; and how little time the lowest seniority drivers have. Also, you increase your chances if you're willing to go feeder in any of our buildings.
  • I'll throw this in here for other CACH PT employees who might see this, I believe you can go Saturday or "bid" part time air driving at the Bedford Park hub. As far as Saturdays go, CACH sunrise, day, and twilight sorts should be fine; night sort workers would probably have DOT Hours of Service issues. But get a good understanding of what kind of commitment the company wants. If you sign up for Saturdays, go through the training, then end up not being available every Saturday; the company may try to disqualify you from driving in the future. That would be a good question for your union Business Agent.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
How much did the school cost? Around me its around $6,000 for a CDL A.
around here it is about 5k. but if you are a veteran , uncle sam will pay for it. companies like swift, knight, and the biggies will train free but you have to sign a contract to work for them after training for a specific period of time. if you break that contract then you have to pay.

if you are low income or on public assistance the government will pay all or part of your training.

most union trucking companies will train just like UPS. start on the dock and work your way up. but it could take years.

hope this helps.

Retiree

The Independance bldg in Ft Worth is currently filling 50 plus FT feeder positions and only a handful of pkg drivers bid. The rest are part timers, some with only 6 months of seniority. And it looks like they will have to go off the street to get the full 50 plus positions. Crazy.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Would it be best for me to start in package car and work my way to feeder
@Busta Brown :
If your goal is to get into feeder (Local 705/Chicago); yes, start in package car. As I said above, you really need to have a FT seniority date ASAP. I don't know what the wait on the package car intent list is (8 different buildings you can bid into), but it wouldn't surprise me if you could be FT package car driver by the time you're 22. The wait for any other FT job is back up to 15+ years.

Since you're not 21 & still part time, if you can afford it, get your CDL while you have the time to do it. Look at the options I posted above. The longer the program, the better it probably is. Also look to see what equipment they have. Besides 48/53' vans do they also have pups or maybe flyers to practice with? What about tractors: long wheel base sleepers or a 2 axle daycab?

When you do turn 21 you have to decide if you want to try 'seasonal' package car driving until your name comes up on the permanent FT package car list.
  • Seasonal driving pros: more money when you work, experience for when you do go to qualify for FT package car.
  • Seasonal driving cons: no guarantee of working (you won't have the option of working preload/twilight while listed as a seasonal driver, could lose benefits such a health insurance or earning full vacation pay), risk getting in an accident (disqualifying you for 1 year I think).
As I also said above there is also the possibility of PT Saturday or even permanent air driver.

Get a union contract book, talk to your union shop steward or business agent (make sure you ask about the 90/10% rule when you go FT driver). Go to the union meetings to get the more accurate rumors about feeder hiring.

Last edited:

Brown Matrix

He Starting To Belive
You have to ask hondo. 705 710 have a separate contract. Everything is different in Chicago
Chi Town's locals are special they stick it to UPS.
But every hub is different Metro Atlanta is 20 Plus years. Jacksonville is about 3 years. Some smaller centers only have 5 feeders with 200 package drivers. all depends on your location. The more interstates that are near your building the better your odds.Get in a package car as soon as possible, you will have the respect of your peers. When you start meeting those 25 Plus year members they can be hard on a new-by who never drove a package car. I was a yard dog that wanted to drive tractors that was tough part time working with full time shifter's was no joke they gave me hell till I proved my worth to the team. That CB is just like being face to face and it a private chat line I heard it all.

Last edited:

Brown Matrix

He Starting To Belive
The Independance bldg in Ft Worth is currently filling 50 plus FT feeder positions and only a handful of pkg drivers bid. The rest are part timers, some with only 6 months of seniority. And it looks like they will have to go off the street to get the full 50 plus positions. Crazy.
Man I wish I had transferred to TX. I transfers to central FLA with 18years 10 cover driver and back to the bottom of a long building list:headache:.