Can I operate a delivery service while still working at ups?

Wizthekid

Just curious on what are the rules or policies regarding operating a delivery service while still working at ups. I've read and heard stuff about if you operate a business in competition to ups that you might be forfeiting your pension? Is that after retirement or does it apply at any moment in my ups career?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If your delivering packages/parcels there's going to be a problem, if your delivering pizza so what, just no parcels.
how is pizza different? it comes in a cardboard box with a name and address. if you can deliver a pizza then you can deliver anything.

Inthegame

Just curious on what are the rules or policies regarding operating a delivery service while still working at ups. I've read and heard stuff about if you operate a business in competition to ups that you might be forfeiting your pension? Is that after retirement or does it apply at any moment in my ups career?
If you mean operating in that you will be physically working, you could have an hours of service issue.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
how is pizza different? it comes in a cardboard box with a name and address. if you can deliver a pizza then you can deliver anything.

UPS is not in the pizza delivery business. No conflict of interest. No problem

A local same day delivery driver for Amazon, conflict of interest. Possible fight to keep both jobs.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Are you in the union?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Just curious on what are the rules or policies regarding operating a delivery service while still working at ups.

Do you currently operate a UPS vehicle on a public roadway ?

And, do you have a current DOT medical card ?

If not.... don't concern yourself.

Conflict of interest.

So what.

It's not a contract violation.

I've read and heard stuff about if you operate a business in competition to ups that you might be forfeiting your pension? Is that after retirement or does it apply at any moment in my ups career?

Some pension plans have "re-employment" rules, after you retire.

Other than that, rock on.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Do you currently operate a UPS vehicle on a public roadway ? And, do you have a current DOT medical card ? If not.... don't concern yourself. So what. It's not a contract violation. Some pension plans have "re-employment" rules, after you retire. Other than that, rock on.
Maybe he should try to land an apprenticeship with the Mechanics Union?