Can I take a knife with me while I work?

undies

I've been loaned out to other buildings and worked in some pretty ghetto areas of Los Angeles and those drivers mostly told me they carry knives/pocket knives for self protection. I'm not sure what the policy is regarding that. I've been thinking of carrying one of my smaller pocket knives in my backpack while I'm out on route. I don't generally deliver in any dangerous areas, but I'd sure like the peace of mind. Any input would be appreciated!

over9five

Staff member
I would suggest carrying a tactical flashlight in a belt holster. Get a good one with a crenellated bezel. These will do some serious damage if you have to defend yourself from an attack. And nobody's gonna stop you from having a flashlight on you!

barnyard

KTM rider
It will also depend on where you deliver. I use to carry a knife until I covered a route that delivers to a courthouse. They let me pass the metal detector, but I had to quit carrying a knife. The other option was to drop it off with the deputy at the door. It was easier to quit carrying a knife.

I do carry a tactical flashlight on my belt and pepper spray on the dvir holder.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not sure I'd work at UPS if I felt everyday I was at work that I would possibly incur bodily harm. I know some people here deliver to some bad areas, and I salute you for doing it, I'd just question myself if it was worth it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not sure I'd work at UPS if I felt everyday I was at work that I would possibly incur bodily harm. I know some people here deliver to some bad areas, and I salute you for doing it, I'd just question myself if it was worth it.

I rarely deliver to "bad areas" but if we were allowed to conceal and carry I would in a heart beat. It only takes once.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I rarely deliver to "bad areas" but if we were allowed to conceal and carry I would in a heart beat. It only takes once.
Reload manager got beat in the head with a crowbar from an employee last summer here. We have a metal detector now installed on the way in, no knives longer than 4 inches allowed, among other restrictions.

U

uber

I would suggest carrying a tactical flashlight in a belt holster. Get a good one with a crenellated bezel. These will do some serious damage if you have to defend yourself from an attack. And nobody's gonna stop you from having a flashlight on you!
I carry this:

20121112154729533.jpg

How much is that flashlight?

undies

Ok...so there isn't a set policy on knives. Good to know. I don't want to carry it on me, just in my backpack.

anonymous4

For inside workers, a utility knife is better than using your EDC blade. Cardboard dulls knives faster than I would have thought. Quality utility blades are a plus for your cutter.